PDA

View Full Version : My opinion about what's going on for challenges...

toma
02-01-2002, 01:12 PM
Hi all,

I loved the way the first challenge was born. It was simple, fast, efficient and funny. And i'm afraid we loose that if we let things go. It is so easy to make dozens of suggestions, that eventually just get you lost.

I have started reading the thread about the new challenge rules, and got lost after having readed 2 pages. Too many subjects, concepts etc, even if most of them are good !

But i think we really need to fix rules.

The problem is that when you say : "Let's do a Post-appocalyptical style image", this reduces the possibilities, and the number of competitors. What i liked about that first challenge was the FREEDOM you had inside. You just have guidelines for certain visual characteristics. And that was good, because you can do WHATEVER you want, if those rules are respected.

If we stick to one "style" such as Post-Appocalyptic or Medieval, i'm afraid we do not get the same creativity.

I do not exactly know how to set this up, but i felt the need to say it.

That's done now :)

Facial Deluxe
02-01-2002, 01:32 PM
I second you.

Pistols
02-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Yeah you're probably right ... giving some style constraint is a bit hard to follow ... but its could be a good exercise too ...
anyway, the Pirate contest was fun, cause we had the choice to do what we wanted to ... every one has put his personal version of a pirate, ( hey I didnt see a hacker/nerd in front of his linuxlike app ! =)
and that was really fun to watch ...

If the rules are flexible, it will be fun to play with
sounds like matrix :)

thats all

TroiDé rouleze

lildragon
02-01-2002, 02:38 PM
I hear you guys, but who says you can't make a PA pirate? or a PA apeman for that matter :) it's still up to the artist, just different enviroments and so forth, plus it gives the mechanical modelers a chance to actually join this one

toma
02-01-2002, 03:00 PM
Yes i understand what you say lildragon.

What i was trying to say is that it is a pity if we have to stick to a certain domain. I agree with you that in PA, you can do a lot of things ! Pirate, Apeman, Androïd or whatever ! But the spot that gets me sad is the PA thing ! Because for the moment this domain seems limited to me. Like if you were obliged to make something dark, dusty, violent etc.

It is what Post Appocalyptical theme inspires me.

Maybe i am wrong ? Maybe there is more freedom than i think ? Usually i prefer joyful things, colours, life, variety...

In fact, the way people are talking about that PA challenge is too dark for me i guess...

But i'd anyway prefer more general things :)

(i'm annoying i know that :D )

lildragon
02-01-2002, 03:19 PM
that's just it ;) we're fine tuning the Post Appocalyptical theme, who says it has to be the "norm" this is were the meeting of the minds play a role..... instead of mass destruction, it could be a peaceful place that is now recovering, or it could be full of wonderous technology and so fourth, we're not limiting the creative juices but expanding them, we create the world.... so don't give up hope, get in the thread above and give suggestions to fine tune...

take care

Equinoxx
02-01-2002, 03:31 PM
like little dragon said. the possibillities are endles.
you are only limited by the scale of your creativity . . .
a theme has to be set. In this case, it's post apocalyptic. it eiter inspiress you to model something, or it doesn't, in which case you skip the challenge, model flowers, bees sunshine and whatever and post your images in the 3d art forum.

See, we can't have a theme that appeals to any and all and inspires everyone them. in this case, you don't like the theme that the majority seems to have chosen. Skip the challenge then I'd say . . . OR stick with it and suprise us & yourself how creative you are with entering in a challenge with a theme you don't like . . .

parallax
02-01-2002, 03:43 PM
I think you have to 'stretch' the term post-appocalyptic.
That is too what the 1st challenge was about: trying to bend the rules as much as possible.
You can interpret p.a. in many different ways. It doesn't have to be dark & scary.
Have you ever seen the movie The Time Machine? (original version) the p.a. theme in that movie was approached very differently apposed to mad max. It was all about nature, and it looked indeed very colourfull. Except for those dreadfull morlocks...

ps
I also think you should not have to model a character.
Not everybody in this forum is a character modeller.
You should be able to choose a subject thats relevant to the topic.

Wiro
02-01-2002, 03:53 PM
Man, there's TONS of possibilities in Post Apocalyptic!!! In my eyes you are just about as free as with the pirate theme.

Wiro

lildragon
02-01-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Wiro
Man, there's TONS of possibilities in Post Apocalyptic!!! In my eyes you are just about as free as with the pirate theme.

Wiro

Well said ;)

ok guys, continue this in the top thread, I think the point has been made here :)

so get some ideas brewing

cheers