PDA

View Full Version : cloning trees...

JoeRedstall
07-28-2002, 05:55 PM
Hey there,

I'm working on a forest environement at the mo, and I have a simple tree poly model that i want to duplicate/instance across the ground. Is there a way of arraying the duplicates with a random number so i get a nice dispersal a single tree model ?

I'd want to scatter them in X and Z but if they could also be duplicated so as to automatically be assigned to the correct Y value for the floor as well that would be cool :)

Sorry if i'm overlooking an obvious xsi command but I just can't get my head round this at the mo :(

Any help would be much appreciated,

Joe

sanostol
07-29-2002, 12:19 PM
There is a script on the softimage site, that does something similar. You have for example a grid, the you tag some points and then you have to select the object you want to be duplicated. The script then positions a duplicate at every tagged vertics. Very Handy. If you need instances you have to edit the script by repacing two times the word Duplicate with the word Instantiate I think.

Hope I could help

CU Sanostol

JoeRedstall
07-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Hey Sanostol,

Thanks for your reply, that script was just what I was after :thumbsup:

Joe

JDex
08-27-2003, 05:47 AM
Love ressurecting old threads...

I am unable to find this script, does anyone have a direct link or another tool/script for this...

I had originally planned to use Scatter from mindthink.de, but it appears to be gone now.

JoeRedstall
08-27-2003, 09:55 AM
Crikey ! this is a blast from the past. I don't have any of my XSI stuff with me at the moment but will try and dig out one of the scripts I was going to use (in the end I just copy and pasted groups as I had more control over how many objects in the scene)

shapeshifter
08-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by JDex
I had originally planned to use Scatter from mindthink.de, but it appears to be gone now.

It's still there. Just download the MindthinkTools Collection 1.5. That'll give you all tools etc. Helge has developed so far :)

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.