PDA

View Full Version : path to success: modeling (newbie question)

Cadillacs57
07-13-2004, 05:33 PM
how do you achieve good modeling ?
is bumpmapping a quick cheap way ? should i use more objects to achieve my goal ?
example logitech mouse mx310
if i use several objets to model it, does it make it look more real ?
or maybe that depends if i have to animate it? (IK, well..... maybe not the best example) same for a mecha.
should this kind of stuff be considered if i want to do lowrez or highrez modeling?

Cadillacs57
07-13-2004, 05:35 PM
what are the correct steps to achieve good modeling?

MRAY
07-14-2004, 04:27 AM
Step 1. Pratice

Step 2. Pratice

Step 3. Pratice

Step 4. and more practice

-Mray-

ambient-whisper
07-14-2004, 06:30 AM
nah. just simple practice isnt enough. that just gets you into the flow of using the tools, but its not enough to get something thats GOOD.

if you want to make good models then study. not just anatomy, but anything you want to model. learn the ins and outs of everything. learn to draw as well. it will get you into the mindset of simplification, that less is more. and it will teach you what is important and what is not.

then when you come back and use the tools it will be easy.

hpslashluvr
07-14-2004, 06:52 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHH bump mapping for modeling is a no no unless it's for fine details like small wrinkles and stuff

that goes for both lowrez and highrez, never take shortcuts that you know are wrong, because they will screw you over in the end especially in animation prolly

by objects you mean like computer and stuff? I'm sure having the best software, plug-ins, and hardware will help, but it's sort of like learning an instrument. Just because you bought the 15,000 dollar cello does not mean you can play like a pro

And I know you probably are new to 3d...but please please please do a search first, because we have these topics everyday. cgtalk is more of a professional forum although there are many of us hobbyists...if you are new then I'd recommend going to a friendlier noob forum like threedy.com (you should probably post an actual model though) or whatnot. 3dtotal.com has a huge list of tutorials under the free section, sorted by software.

and if you can't afford the high prices (you should be able to if you are a student, they give HUGE discounts), then I'd try one of the the free modeling programs or at least a demo.

McWolfe
07-14-2004, 06:54 AM
One thing I've discovered, which hopefully can help you as welll. After learning the tools (not mastering, just learning, knowing what they can and can't do), the next step to becoming a good 3d-artist, is to study other things than 3d.

Why is that? Well, in most cases, 3d is used to recreate reality, or at least something similar to reality. Even movies like shrek requires that things move and look fairly realistic. Something big and heavy should move like it is big and heavy. Now, the key sentence is: You have got to know what you are replicating in order to replicate it!

If you want to modell humans/humanoids, study anatomy and how people move. Learn about center of gravity and balance. If you want to modell cars, study cars. If you want to modell great environments, study art books about drawing environments and look at a lot of pictures from around the earth.

And then, get back to your 3d-software and start working :-)

McWolfe

ambient-whisper
07-14-2004, 08:42 AM
yeah thats another thing. you dont need any expensive software for modelling.

wings 3d, silo or any other cheap cost modelling software will get you through any modelling task. ( hell, both apps are used proffesionally by a lot of artists, and one of them is 100% free )

orion119net
07-14-2004, 01:08 PM
what are you useing? ive seen poeple go spend $3,000 on a program, and come out with some AWFUL stuff. so they stopped modeling, and wasted $3,000. i use blender 3d(www.blender3d.org) and gmax(cant remeber the site). both are really good(but i like blender better)and free, and people come out with really great stuff(actualy, blender was used in pre-vis for spider man 2). im normaly modeling mechs, and i normally use different meshes(or whatever) for each segment.

Cadillacs57
07-14-2004, 06:38 PM
thanks for the ansers.... im checking right now blender.... i was surfing the chances with maya PLE edition, but blender looks like a good start, and the interactive enviroment looks interesting too

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.