PDA

View Full Version : I want to move from photoshop! it's full of bugs

robodesign
07-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Hello, guys!

I know it's very inappropiate to say this here, but i don't like photoshop for many reasons: photoshop CS is way bulky and uses much, much, much,m much memory and.... it crashes sometimes and I don't like it :D. Photoshop 7 is the best version but it has too some big issues. Overall i like the photoshop app, it has many great features, i can draw/design/paint in it like in no other app, but, still, i want to switch/move on to another app :banghead: !

What do you guys recommend me? Photoimpact, PaintShop Pro, Corel Draw, GIMP, etc. I give the highest stars to Paintshop Pro, Corel Draw and Gimp.

Please reply with your suggestions :bounce:

theGuest
07-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Here... try this in PS CS.

This will make your doc sizes MUCH smaller, thus taking less resources to run them. It was just released by Adobe. Here's what THEY have to say about this plugin:

"The Adjusted Refresh plug-in addresses the time it takes to visually preview some filter updates in Photoshop CS. This plug-in reduces the size of the Photoshop image tiles. This causes the display to redraw in smaller pieces, reducing the time it takes to see the updated preview. The Adjusted Refresh plug-in will also reduce the initial scratch disk usage after launching Photoshop. Note that overall performance may be reduced for users with multiple processors or more than 1 Gigabyte of RAM."

--------------------------------------------------------------
Installation
Windows:
1. Exit Photoshop CS.
2. Copy or move the Adjusted Refresh.8bx plug-in from your download folder to Program
Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\Extensions.

Mac:
1. Quit Photoshop CS.
2. Copy or move the Adjusted Refresh plug-in from your download folder to Applications/Adobe
Photoshop CS/Plug-Ins/Extensions.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from this, i recommend "Corel Painter" for the paint enthusiasts in the crowd. Check it at www.Corel.com (http://www.Corel.com) .

robodesign
07-13-2004, 10:13 AM
I have a fast CPU, i don't have problems with the CPU and i hae 1Gb of RAM, but, still, when i work i usually have a 3D render in background and many other programs running like Apache and mySQL servers.

What .... my problem is... i don't like the new filter gallery or what's that :)... with the special clumsy dialog which in v7 there isn't. Another problem is... the way how make selections....

halo
07-13-2004, 11:08 AM
1) PS is a memory hog...1gb is not a great deal...the OS uses up say 100+mb, your other apps will use up even more !... so dont run other apps with PS! That plugin will make CS use memory more like 7 did, ...its not using more its just how it uses it which isnt so efficient.

2) the filter gallery is rubbish...im with you on that...i want to turn it off or save presets...you cant do either.

3) unfortunately, PS is the best out there...the rest are just in the distance...which is a shame because there's no real competition.

If you dont like what you see, go to the adobe forums and post about it...the more that do, the more they will take note.

Ego
07-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Thank you for that app. I badly needed something like that. More often than not I don't have the luxury to use only photoshop. I have to have PS open as well as other essential programs am running. You can imagine, it seriously bugs down my system, although am using 1GB or ram!

uncon
07-13-2004, 03:56 PM
So the way Photoshop does things bugs you, that's cool. A lot of people like it and it works for what we do. Great wonderful we are happy (mostly).

So download all the demos of the software you have just mentioned and try them out. When it comes down to personal taste nobody here is going to be able to help you.

daddyo
07-13-2004, 07:57 PM
As you know they make Painter... BUT Corel Draw is bundled with Photo Paint...
WHich is a very very cool program... You can setup its interface to look like photoshop, so no hassles, and it has much better brushes than photoshop, which is good for a painter app... Photopaint is the closest thing to photoshop out there that is not photoshop...

I am exploring it myself (draw is also way more powerful than illustrator), the one drawback I found so far is that Adobe and Corel don't seem to work in the same color space... colors seem different when I open a psd file into photopaint.. Maybe my settings aren't right, because this is kind of an issue.

robodesign
07-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Hello all!
The program (Photoshop) is the best, i must agree, but the problem is that the guys from Adobe don't work with their own app to see how they made it, how can you work with it, what's the " feelin' " in it. This is what i don't like!! It has many, many kewl features, you can do everything, but it has many annoying glitches. And to don't be rude... not only Adobe company "does" this things, Macromedia too. The Flash MX app totally bloated - many features - but horrible glitches and many. These glitches are related just to usability. Many other companies do this trick: release as many as possbile versions without actually improving something - just their budget :D.

Anyway... Congrats developers for doing "such" a great app, photostop!

leigh
07-15-2004, 12:27 AM
but the problem is that the guys from Adobe don't work with their own app to see how they made it, how can you work with it, what's the " feelin' " in it. Errmm I was one of the people who beta-tested Photoshop for a few months for Adobe before it was released. Trust me, we tested every inch of the program. I did complain a lot about slowness, and if you think it's slow now you should have seen how slow the painting engine was during the beta stage. The Adobe technical team were really on the ball and attentive to any complaints that were made, and worked quickly to fix them. By the final release, I think that CS is the best application of its type available, and am now using it happily every single day for work.

Photoshop has always been a memory hog, but if you want to do high end work you'll just have to upgrade your system. I've just gone up to 2Gb of DDR RAM because I have to paint film res textures in it. If I have to add more, I will. Unfortunately that's just life. You'll find that when you're working on huge images in any program, you're going to need a powerful system.

Remember that you can always allocate more RAM to Photoshop, or else it starts using virtual memory, which is really, really slow. Sometimes when I am working on really large textures I actually shut down all my other applications and assign 85-90% of my available RAM to it. Sure this means I can't render at the same time or run anything else, but at least I can get my painting done with minimal fuss.

At any rate, nobody is forcing you to use the upgrade. You can always revert back to Photoshop 7 (hey, no more activation hassles!). It might be a good lesson too - next time, try a demo before handing over the cash. I never bothered updating to Photoshop 6 or 7 since I felt that neither of them offered features I needed at the time, so I continued using version 5.5 right up until I got CS.

dg
07-15-2004, 07:02 AM
I have a fast CPU, i don't have problems with the CPU and i hae 1Gb of RAM, but, still, when i work i usually have a 3D render in background and many other programs running like Apache and mySQL servers.

What .... my problem is... i don't like the new filter gallery or what's that :)... with the special clumsy dialog which in v7 there isn't. Another problem is... the way how make selections....

I agree with the filter gallery, but the rest is pure nonsense.

Take a good look on what are you trying to do and tell me.

0. Running the OS and it's gizmos
1. Running Apache
2. Running MySQL
3. Running a 3D render in background
4. Running Photoshop

If you really need to run all that at the same time you should consider buying a new computer, loads of memory or start using MS Paint.

Selections in PS are great and de facto standard in the whole industry and second nature for most of us.

but the problem is that the guys from Adobe don't work with their own app to see how they made it, how can you work with it, what's the " feelin' " in it.
Yep...they are the only ones who don't, c'mon!

PS: CorelDRAW is a vector illustration app and has nothing to do with image compositing/editing/paint, the CorelDRAW Suite comes with Corel PHOTO-PAINT bundled which is the compositing/editing/paint application and in my personal opinion is far from being as powerful and flexible as PS, specially if compared to PS CS.

halo
07-15-2004, 08:08 AM
here's a list of bugs that people have confirmed in CS

1) CS mis-handles the bevel effects on the top and leftmost edges of arrayed objects within a layer.

2) Ignore profile mismatches in actions, doesn't

3) Guaranteed crash: Marquee zoom in Gaussian Blur Dialog

4) Export paths forgets .ai extention to filename randomly

thats 4 off the top of my head...not that much really...whats more annoying is that they have said that there wont be an 8.01 bug fix.

heres my gripe list

1) I would like a separate unit preference for the line tool (because when you hit tab and the whole box highlights, your units are assumed to be the ruler units, and i always want strokes in pixels, rulers in cm, and dpi in inches)

2) I want actions to obey "ignore profile mismatches" warnings

3) I want export paths to illustrator to constantly append .ai to the filename like it says its doing when it saves it

4) I want the move tool to obey the option set to not "auto select layers" when the command key is depressed as this is the modifier key to invoke it on most tools, so force of habit drives me nutts when it ignores it because the move tool is already selected.

5) I would like the transform tool not to transform a path when its not active.

6) I would like to be able to edit paths drawn by the rectangle tool with the common path editing tools without having to jump to the path tool beforehand.

7) I would like a display but for all other purposes ignore layer command...i dont want to select it and i certainly dont want to be warned about it being locked afterwards.

I would like some way of using more than 2gb of ram.

9) I would like adjustment layers to be optionally ignored when taking colour picker samples for colour.

10) I would like to be able to see paths and cross hairs on grey, and being able to colour them so i can see them on other problematic backgrounds like complex black and white plans.

11) I dont want the filter gallery all the time, when i do, i want some sort of saveable presets

12) I want a spline based distortion tool.

13) I want the filters updated.

14) I want a file clean command (scrap all paths and channels) in one hit.

15) I want a gradient preview on screen.

15) I want some modifier key consistancy between adobe apps.

16) I would like a way to flick through full screen open documents...I dont want to tile or whatever, i just want to ctrl tab or something through them

17) Even though I dont want my clipboard to be exported I would like not for it to be lost even though I've just clicked the desktop...it can stay in PS but please make just PS keep it.

As far as the UI is concerned its flow is very full of holes now...if i had been a beta tester Adobe would have gotten a severe rocket up their arse about that...there is a common wonder that either Adobe isnt finding the right alpha/beta testers or it isnt asking for the right feedback or its not listening to them...the app in some areas has just got very sloppy/amatuer...its been on a slide since v4 really...however its still the best out there by a long way (which doesnt help its development).

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.