PDA

View Full Version : Tugger: The Jeep® 4x4 Who Wanted to Fly

Paul-Angelo
07-13-2004, 12:49 AM
I was emailed this link today. There is a trailer at the tuggerjeep website.

http://www.tuggerjeep.com/

The Jeep® Brand and Genesis Orlando Inc. Announce New Animated Film – “Tugger: The Jeep® 4x4 Who Wanted to Fly”

ORLANDO, Florida – May 12, 2004 – Jeep® Brand and Genesis Orlando, a digital animation production company, have entered into a licensing and marketing agreement to launch the animated film property “Tugger: The Jeep® 4x4 Who Wanted to Fly.”

The original Genesis Orlando story centers on an animated character modeled after a Jeep vehicle who dreams of one day flying like an airplane. The film is being released in connection with the official launch of the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and will release around the time vehicles will be available in dealerships, Fall 2004.

“Tugger is a great asset to help launch the all-new 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee,” said Jeff Bell, Vice president Jeep and Chrysler Marketing. “The animated character upholds the Jeep brand’s reputation for innovation and the go-anywhere do-anything spirit of the Jeep brand.”

Principle marketing will be directed through BBDO Detroit, the advertising agency of record for Chrysler Group. Key licensing will be handled through the Joester/Loria licensing group in New York City.

Another marketing partner to join the “Tugger” property is the Stewart & Stevenson Company “TUG Tractor” of Marietta Georgia. As part of Genesis Orlando’s marketing roll out of “Tugger,” Genesis has co-developed with “TUG Tractors” a new spin-off series named “Timmy the Tiny Tug.”

Additionally, Genesis has signed a Production, licensing and marketing partnership with Maxine Clark’s “Build-A-Bear Workshop” of St. Louis. Genesis Orlando is producing the first “Build-A-Bear” Computer-Generated Animated film based on the famous Build-A-Bear characters. The film is set for release in late 2005.

Other Genesis Orlando projects include “GeeBee the Racer,” for Kermit Weeks and his “Fantasy of Flight” theme park in Orlando, Florida, “Futureball,” a Science Fiction Action film based on a revolutionary new sport concept, and “The Adventures of Toby Digz” a children’s adventure series based on the David Hernandez comic novels published by Tommy Nelson Publishing.

A three-year-old CG animation house, Genesis Orlando is a boutique production company that maintains a staff of 25 highly experienced storyboard artists, writers, modelers, animators and technicians. Founded by an ex-Disney Supervising Animator with 27 years in the feature animation industry, Genesis has successfully made the jump from outsource animation facility to original content producer.

“Our corporate and creative mission is to develop and build strong entertainment properties along side mutually beneficial marketing partnerships,” says Alan Guimond, Genesis Orlando’s COO. “We’re extremely excited about our partnership with both the Jeep® brand and ‘Build-A-Bear.’ We are following in the footsteps of companies like PIXAR by building on our Disney heritage of story telling while securing our independence through self-funding.”

“Though Genesis Orlando’s key staff is primarily Disney trained, we are beginning to staff bright young talent from areas as diverse as Full Sail in Orlando, Ringling School of Art and Design in Sarasota, Florida and Savannah College of Art and Design In Georgia,” said Guimond.

Mr. Guimond continued, “Our key focus will always be Story and Character. Although we are extremely proud of our technological abilities, we know in our hearts that true success and value will be won through our ability to connect emotionally with our audiences.”

thecrow
07-13-2004, 12:39 PM
My hat is off to the guys and gals that are working hard. They have a small team and are doing a GREAT JOB!.
I know may more good things are to come from that lot.

Derek

the_zed_axis
07-14-2004, 08:03 AM
looks good to me :)

Bonez21
10-13-2004, 07:54 PM
This is an awesome studio that doesnt pay their staff for 6 weeks straight. Then after not paying, they fire you. Hats off!

thecrow
10-13-2004, 10:28 PM
I was very close to getting a job there, I was even told.. (you have a job..just do this model for us, if we like it you have the job)
Because of taking a chance of going there.. I lost my job at the Ren Center teaching 3d, and left a HUGE mess behind me as well as lost some Great friends.
I was strug along for along time over a month talking on the phone just enough info to keep my hopes up..
I feel for you. I wish I could take it all back!! I wish you and the rest of the artist there good luck.

Crow

luispages
01-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Hello again ppl.... trying to bring this case back to the table.....

I used to be the Effects Animator for Genesis Orlando during the production of tugger, yes we were a great team, we worked with the worst equipment, in a townhouse, with tons of limitations including the one that made us stronger as a group, the fact that we were working for company that didnt have the minimum amount of respect for the ppl making the film.

Now 90% of us have jobs in the industry and we still keep in touch, but there's something else I want to say just be careful with this company as I believe they may be looking for some help to finish this "movie", they owe us a considerable amount of money that is beeing almost impossible for us to get....

And that brings a few questions that I'd like to make here in front of everybody...

How is Genesis Orlando going to explain to their new victims the fact that you have a movie 90% completed and no production team..... why we are not there.... what happend to us.....

When are you gonna tell the truth once for all and tell us what is going to happend with the debt you have with us.....

I just dont want to see more professionals beeing treated without respect and ethic just to make one mans dream........

Heath, Todd, Adam, Scott, Jeane, Bif, Dustin, John, David, Woody, Josh, Brian and the rest of the team you guys rock and it was a great experience working with you guys.

Luis Pages

neonoodle
01-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Yeah, I worked there, and everything Luis said is true. Unfortunately, there are a lot of smaller studios out there whos sole purpose it seems is to take advantage of up and coming talent for quick financial gain. It's hard to get into this industry and companies such as Genesis will offer you the world, but it's almost always too good to be true. Watch yourselves out there.

mattmos
01-09-2005, 07:47 AM
That's a sad story, thanks for making the community at large aware of the company's behaviour - warning signs should be put up in case they try it again...

Reepoman
01-09-2005, 02:45 PM
ok..... well .. I will be the first to say it then.. this looks like a piece of ****. Ahh that's better. The Jeep animation is nice, but thats it. Noone is going to make any money from this crap. I hate companies that churn out rubbish CG let alone companies that USE their staff for their own financial gain.. makes me sick to my stomach. If I was on this team I would have got off as soon as I saw the visuals. U can cry WIP but if you told me that that was an animatic then I would think yeah ok, not bad, maybe some potential there but WIP, jesus!!.
Well, ripped this enough I think :twisted:

slaughters
01-09-2005, 10:11 PM
This movie looks familular. Is it a rip off of an old Disney or Tex Avery short?

ntmonkey
01-09-2005, 11:40 PM
“Our corporate and creative mission is to develop and build strong entertainment properties along side mutually beneficial marketing partnerships,” says Alan Guimond, Genesis Orlando’s COO. “We’re extremely excited about our partnership with both the Jeep® brand and ‘Build-A-Bear.’ We are following in the footsteps of companies like PIXAR by building on our Disney heritage of story telling while securing our independence through self-funding.”
This pisses me off, along with the treatment of the crew that gave them the chance to even have anything shown. Keep your eyes peeled gang. Florida seems to be a hotspot for hurricanes and CG con-artists.

peace,

Lu

luispages
01-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks a lot to everybody this is exactly what we are looking for with this post, to let everybody know what's out there, I'd hate myself if I let all this remain unnoticed, also I'd like to see your opnions about this http://www.tuggerfoundation.org/ I'll leave it up to you guys...

Also what do you recomend for us to do in order to receive the money this studio owes.
Did this happend to any of you??

Thanks

Luis Pages

trthing
01-10-2005, 01:30 AM
also I'd like to see your opnions about this http://www.tuggerfoundation.org/ I'll leave it up to you guys...
OMG! I only hope it isn't what it seems :eek:

mattmos
01-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Also what do you recomend for us to do in order to receive the money this studio owes.

Thanks

Luis Pages
Hasn't happened to me but you've got the name, phone number and address of the company director right there on the website - that would seem the first logical step ;)

thecrow
01-10-2005, 02:40 AM
I was told I would have a job there, only a matter of time. I was told that they loved my 2d work as well as my modeling . It would be a chance to show the world my skills, to make my wife and family as well as my former mentor proud of me for making it *what I thought was the big time*
LIES!! I lost a great job at the Ren Center, hurt my mentor as well as his family. All to chase a dream. I went about it all the wrong way . I was like a fly drawn to the pretty light.
If I could change the things that happened I would do it in a heart beat. I will say I am sorry to Jason Busby at 3dBuzz for my actions. As well as pray every artist out there learns from what happened to me. If it is to good to be true then it is.
The short time I got to meet the Crew, I thought you were all tops! and hope for the best for all of you.
Derek Stevens
aka Crow

Reepoman
01-10-2005, 08:32 AM
http://www.tuggerfoundation.org/ I'll leave it up to you guys...

Whoa! hold fire, are you telling me that this company is getting funded by pretending that it is also a "childrens charity"... this is some messed up ****
I really really hope this isn't the case. But a company that can't afford to pay it's staff yet is also a charity....the bells are ringing people the bells are ringing.... this could well be the worlds all time low move by a CG company. It's obvious that the guys running this company just want to get rich any way possible. They have seen how much money can be made and now they want a piece of it and they will screw everyone over to get it. Maybe it's not so black and white but from what I have already read it seems to be the case.

Q_B
01-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Something kinda stinks here, or is it just my nose?

Can someone "near" the source check this out? Is this "foundation" for real? Why don't they have at least the names of the charitys they support? Or the so-called "ranches" locations/adresses ?

Trying not to jump to any conclusion here, but my search on google on "TUGGER FOUNDATION" brought nuttin up...

Can anyone check this out?

luispages
01-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Well we figured out that the Better Business Bureau http://www.bbbonline.org/consumer/complaint.asp has a file a complaint section I'm sure people there will love to hear the story of tugger and shorty fighting togheter to save the world, I know ppl inside Genesis Orlando are reading this, please explain this situation to all of us here at CGTalk

There's a lot to say from both sides, I think we have said enough so far it's your turn....

Luis Pages

Lucid1313
01-10-2005, 06:35 PM
A very close friend of mine "worked" at Genesis Orlando, so I know the entire story. He got a job there and was very optomistic that this would be the start of his blooming career in CG. In the begining, everything seemed great. I even considered applying for a postion. Then, after time, things began to start rolling downhill...fast. He stopped getting paid, was promised everything and anything to stay. He did stay for a long time, and was one of the last to leave. He gave them all he had, and in the end, money was the only thing they cared about. He sacraficed so much to be there, and they just threw him away. They should not get away with this injustice. This is what gives ANY industry a bad name.

ntmonkey
01-10-2005, 06:47 PM
I think someone should write Jeep and tell them of all this. I don't think any coporation wants to be associated with another business that preys off of people. If I were Jeep, I'd yank the contract and leave them sitting on their ass high and dry. Just like they did to the artists.

peace,

Lu

Kananga
01-10-2005, 08:56 PM
actually, the show is basically a jeep commercial, an insidious form of kiddie brainwashing so when they are older theyll buy the product out of nostalgia. Remember Tugga the 4x4 jeep? aaawwwww.

Considering the way they have treated their employees, the 'not-for-profit' kids charity site is a bit much. Sounds like these guys would put their grandmothers on Ebay if there was a buck in it.

Bliz
01-11-2005, 12:08 AM

Thanks

Luis Pages

One of the things you can do is promise yourself that, that was the first and last time you work for a company for free. If another company ever tries it on again you just sit at home, call the office and tell them you'll be back in work as soon as the money you're owed is in your bank account.

On another tack - what software are they using? More importantly did they pay for it? If you suspect not (or know not) then a phonecall to the software vendor[s] in question would be something worth doing.

Also try and get a story in your local newspaper. A newspaper might not be interested in a story about a small-scale CG Studio but they might perk their ears up when they see Chrystler are [unwhittingly] involved.

luispages
01-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Looks like we were famous...... :twisted: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=144916

Luis Pages

Kardos
01-11-2005, 02:19 PM
I worked over at genesis for a little less then a year.... right from the beginning things looked too good to be true, and there were many things happening that couldnt easily be explained. The money was good though, and it was something that I really wanted to work, so I kept at it. Big mistake. Things went semi-smooth for around 3 months or so, then it all started to go downhilll. By then, we were all trapped, we'd left our jobs and we had invested time into the project, not to mention we were owed money. There was always a hook around every corner to make you come to work one more week, just to fall more into debt.

Look, the point of this post isnt to bitch anymore about Genesis, If you werent there you wont fully understand all the problems that were involved with this company. The reason im posting this is to try and warn anyone that gets an invite to start work at this company. You can obviously make your own decisions, I just want you to know that when you quit, or when you are fired (because one of those two WILL happen) you WILL be owed money... that's a fact....

The place is a mess working on barebone equipment, with misdirected management, and empty promises. They are semi close to finishing the project so I imagine they will spend whatever money they have trying to hire new workers rather then pay us old workers off, so if any of you out there get any interest from this company.... walk away.

need4cg
01-11-2005, 03:20 PM
I remember reading the first post about the studio and thought that Tugger project was neat, but now I can't believe what a rip that is for the animators. I'll remember this if I see any job posts from them. I also went to their website to see who's in charge in case these people try hiring under some other company name or omit that information completely. Hard enough to get a good start in this industry without people trying to take advantage of talent. The Tugger foundation is something else. I wonder if Jeep likes being named in that?

I wish the animators good luck in getting their pay!

the sparky
01-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Is there a animation or CGartist's guild/union? It seems like there should be, or if there is, it should be stronger. That's how people in other industries improved conditions for themselves.

jeffthomann
01-11-2005, 07:25 PM
yes, there is a guild, but I think it's all California based??? I read about it a while back on the forums either here or on 3d buzz... http://www.mpsc839.org/

http://www.mpsc839.org/_Home/home_FRM1.html

the sparky
01-11-2005, 08:46 PM
hm... interesting.

luispages
01-13-2005, 03:41 AM
[QUOTE=Bliz]
On another tack - what software are they using? More importantly did they pay for it? If you suspect not (or know not) then a phonecall to the software vendor[s] in question would be something worth doing.

I think this is a great idea..... LEGAL SOFTWARE???? I think that'd be a good explanation from Genesis Orlando, which remains silent about this......

Come on Genesis we are waiting to hear your side of the story........

Luis Pages

vortex677
01-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey i have been taken advantage of in numerous jobs. All i can say is take them to court i belive u have a case. The way people treat new talent for thier own financial gain makes me sick because eventualy crap will only come out from this tretment who the hell will want to ever work for them know how shitty they are.ussing illgal software is against the law and that alone should reflect what a screwed up foundation they posses and how it is needed to shut them down before other buinsesses leech knlege of them

PhantomDesign
01-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks a lot to everybody this is exactly what we are looking for with this post, to let everybody know what's out there, I'd hate myself if I let all this remain unnoticed, also I'd like to see your opnions about this http://www.tuggerfoundation.org/ I'll leave it up to you guys...

Thanks

Luis Pages

From the website...
We provide the funding to help FEED hungry children . Our special “rice casserole” is a high-protein, nutrient-rich food product that we developed right here in the United States . This amazing product is helping us reverse the effects of malnutrition for of children around the world

To me, the all capital words seemed sarcastic & the "rice casserole" sounds like a load of **** (dual-meaning). The relationship between a marketing campaign and a charity seems way too suspicious. I suppose there's the "Ronald McDonald house" or wahtever they call it, but something really doesn't seem right.

----

How to get money? I'm not a lawyer, but here's what I would do...

First, I would band together with EVERYONE that you knew at the studio that was ripped off similarly. Find one of you who's good at writing & collecting ideas and stuff to make a letter outlining the situation consisely and clearly. Get everyone to sign it & make copies & send the copies to some lawyers and see if any of them would be willing to represent your case. I remember looking at websites where you can search for lawyers by their field, location & other information, so just look around google. Also try to gather evidence - any documents that you might have, paystubs, time cards, employment contracts, etc.

You might find a lawyer that would represent you with no little or no up front costs, but I can't guarantee it. I have a theory that the studio might be nearly broke, so if you sue you might wait until you think they have some assets or just before they're about to aquire some assets.

If you think there's no way you could get payment, you could try to shut down the company through federal procecution & maybe contact the Better Buisness Bureau (I can't spell) too.

Just some ideas...I'm not expert. I really suggest banding together w/ your former co-workers one way or another because the more people you have, the stronger your case will be.

Evenflow
01-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I think Phantom's idea is a good start. Jeep and Alias need to be notified of this. A close friend of mine worked there and knows that they use pirated software for sure. Maya, Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere just to name a few. I have no pity for companies that can't pay it's staff.

Paul-Angelo
01-16-2005, 02:38 AM
I am the original poster of this thread. I just want to say that I had no clue that Genesis Orlando was such a seedy company. When I first posted this I figured I'd get a few replies saying things like, "Wow that looks neat" or "Cool, I can't wait to see that when it is finished". I never imagined it would end up the way it did.

I just wanted to say to those that have suffered under this company that I am glad you came forward to warn the community. I hope you all find a way to get the money owed to you. The most terrible part is that this company was founded by a former Disney Supervising Animator, not some two-bit crook off the street. With credentials like that of course people could very easily be suckered in. I hope this company gets exposed for what they have done. Hopefully someone knows a really good lawyer.

PhantomDesign
01-16-2005, 04:43 AM
I think Phantom's idea is a good start. Jeep and Alias need to be notified of this. A close friend of mine worked there and knows that they use pirated software for sure. Maya, Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere just to name a few. I have no pity for companies that can't pay it's staff.

I'll try a couple of my Car Design contacts to see if I can get a message to Jeep, but I don't know if it will work or not.

EDIT: I started a discussion over at the main car design community. Chances are one of them has connections, but I wouldn't count on it 100%.
http://forums.cardesignnews.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=99560371&f=36560507&m=454104518

Bonez21
01-16-2005, 04:59 AM
I am the original poster of this thread. I just want to say that I had no clue that Genesis Orlando was such a seedy company. When I first posted this I figured I'd get a few replies saying things like, "Wow that looks neat" or "Cool, I can't wait to see that when it is finished". I never imagined it would end up the way it did.

I just wanted to say to those that have suffered under this company that I am glad you came forward to warn the community. I hope you all find a way to get the money owed to you. The most terrible part is that this company was founded by a former Disney Supervising Animator, not some two-bit crook off the street. With credentials like that of course people could very easily be suckered in. I hope this company gets exposed for what they have done. Hopefully someone knows a really good lawyer.

With those credits is what helps him with his scam. What he does is fancy people with things he "contributed" too and promises the world to them, to lie and steal behind their back. The best part that everyone forgot to add here, is the fact that he , Jeffrey J. Varab was getting a weekly paycheck while we didnt see a penny for weeks. I feel sorry for the people who are still working there who still believe in his promises. Best wishes to the "REAL" GO crew who made that movie happen. Sadly the "director / CEO / Animator / Producer / Writer" behind the movie didnt know his head from his ass , so I just hope that the art and techincal skills it took to make that movie happen don't go unoticed.

luispages
01-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Well finally today Genesis Orlando read this post, and even if their CEO Mr Varab is still silent here in this forum, I'll tell you what he said today when he "found out", as expected he didnt pay much attention to it and after all our posts and opinions he said that he rather buy a "couple" of licenses of Maya than pay us our money, as "brilliant" as he is he believes that a couple of licenses of Maya will shut Alias up, and as a bonus he'll get rid of this debt that has with us, but I just want to wish him good luck as well as the last survivor of this disaster which seats next to Mr Varab hoping to make this happen, I just hope you two learn enough from each other Pinky & Cerebro..... ;)

Kardos
01-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Looks like Genesis Orlando has finally come across this thread.... I heard they have seen it, but they havent posted anything yet.... should be interesting to see how they react to all this...

-Kardos

hanger102
01-18-2005, 09:51 PM
I know a friend that use to work for this company and after hearing all the stuff that went on there I'm really glad that they are exposed now. All I can say is pass the word on this company and soon enough the right person will come across the info and thier bad business pratices will end.

Kardos
01-18-2005, 11:28 PM
I didnt see the previous post describing Genesis' reaction to the thread before my last post... but I must say I'm not very surprised at the outcome. It seems they have some money, but they'd rather buy some licenses instead of paying off any debts to the workers. I wonder if a few maya licenses will make up for almost 4 years of pirated use. Let's not forget that Tugger is not the only thing done on these pirated copies. Several movie trailers and pitches we're done as well as a commercial that I believe was actually used world wide to serve as a segway between scenes in a live action movie.

I'd like to add that when we were "let go" it was after a stretch of 2 months of no pay, and we were told it was "best for the company" this way. It's not like we were given notices here, or severence packages.... no pay for a long period of time, then fired.

Now whenever we call in we're told that any money that is generated must go towards finishing tugger so that we can all get our money. Although I understand this strategy, I sincerely feel that there is, and has been, money that could have gone out in small amounts to help the people that were let go so abruptly. As it stands now.... we're left with no option but to trust Genesis to pay us back at some point....

-Kardos

neonoodle
01-19-2005, 06:58 AM
of course we'll get our pay when the movie's finished. And we'll get our stock options, and our Tugger bookmarks... oh wait, those are the same thing. :D

Here's a Tugger t-shirt... one per customer. :thumbsup:

It's ridiculous how much contempt that the "boss" and the "company" had for the crew. Now that Jeff is probably subscribed to this thread, I might be able to have a question answered that I've always wondered about. Jeff, do you realize what a lying bastard you are or have you completely deluded yourself into thinking that Tugger will be the be-all end-all of animated feature films and that it doesn't matter how many lives are ruined since the ends (ie: World peace created by Tugger) justifies the means (ie: not paying people for 2 months and then firing them and leaving them to rot in Orlando after bringing them there)?... Just wondering :shrug:

P.S. Did the fox deal go through yet or are we still waiting on the lawyers?

/I'm not bitter. I left before the real fit hit the shan.

Q_B
01-19-2005, 08:56 AM
So how many of you guys are? I lost count.

And reading the last few posts, i wonder again why oh why don't you make something besides posting! Man! MAKE SOMETHING! Sue them, Report them, or at least a small punch in the face and a kick in the b@lls? No? Ok. Disregard the last one.

If they are in debt, and it seems they have, besides property, liquid cash, then they MUST pay!

Kardos
01-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Alright... this post is for the people that dont understand why we havent taken any action against Genesis Orlando.

first off... we've tried, or atleast I know i have... this situation is very tricky and isnt as clear cut as you may think. First off.... Genesis has no real income whatsoever, and I dont think they have any money to pay anyone off even if we did sue, they are so incredibly in debt with the staff as well as investors, because they borrow from one investor to pay off the last one... so its not a pretty picture.

we contacted the union of labor but if the issue is over 5,000 dollars you have to take it to small claims court. Now that really wont be all that beneficial because you will have to pay for any fees, and the best outcome you can hope to expect is an official ruling that once Genesis gets money we will get ours.

also to answer your question from the above post, there was about 25 people staffed at Genesis at its peak.... about 14 to 15 of those were artists, the rest being 2d people, writers, and management. As far as the people that are actively posting on this thread i think there is around 5 of us... the others I've lost touch with...

Anyhow... if anyone out there has any real solutions for this.. please... post them, because i think the majority of us are just lost. We're 3d artists.... not lawyers.... we just feel kind of powerless against this ya know. I think we're all afraid that Genesis will continue to lie to us and not give us our money until they are good and ready to.

-K

Q_B
01-19-2005, 02:44 PM
I'd help if i could, but our legislation is really diferent from yours. (i'm Portuguese).

Anyway, they have something. I've read just above that they were thinking in BUYING Maya licenses, right? Are they planning on paying it with what? Not to mention that there are material things, such as tech hardware, furniture, even the building/facilitie itself , etc etc...
I don't know , but maibe you need to bang on a few more doors to get some law help.
Sorry if the message is unclear (i can't express it better, english is not my language :shrug: ) and if i can't give more help, but just don't give up.

Kardos
01-19-2005, 02:54 PM
exactly.... if they are going to buy some licenses.... that brings up the point, with what money?

They tell us they dont have any money to pay us off regardless of the amount, but now they are going to buy some maya licenses? Pretty interesting.

Many of us have tried to work something out with them where they send us a certain amount now and then to start working off the debt, but they have been adamant that there is NO money to give, regardless of how small.... right....

luispages
01-19-2005, 03:02 PM
I proposed to Kathy O'Neal CFO of G.O a payment plan, at least small amounts of money to start working on the debt (something that has been done before with some former animators from G.O) and the answer was that G.O has never done such thing and that they are not in the position of making any payment plans with any of us.

This is the latest email received from Ms O'Neal:

"Hi, Luis. No, Genesis has not recently given checks to anyone to make
up the back pay, except for ......, which was triggered by a
specific case ruling from the State of Florida IRS.

As you can imagine, we have received a number of similar requests for
back pay. I truly wish we could help everyone at this time, but we
simply cannot.

In order to pay back everyone all the money they are owed, our first
priority must be to finish the film. This was one reason the Studio
gave the gift of stock shares.

As soon as we are able to pay people, we will."

Regards,
Kathy

What a load of #$%%^

Kardos
01-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Just take your gift stock shares to Publix.... I'm sure they will trade it for groceries...

better yet... give them an IOU..... it worked for Genesis :thumbsup:

Gryphon24
01-19-2005, 03:35 PM
I was also an "employee" at Genesis Orlando...if you want to call it that....they made us fill out these "timesheets" to show that we worked 9 hours a day (including lunch), basically treating us like we were hourly....but paid us salary. If we worked overtime,
we didn't even get compensated for it, although if we worked under 40 hours a week we got docked pay! We weren't taxed, so we were considered freelance. Not to mention the fact that they would promise every month that we would have benefits "soon", but not to
worry b/c they were going to give us "stock options". Well thank god for that. Things seemed fine in the beginning....we were getting paid every week...then it all started to go downhill from there....we would all have a "little meeting" where we would be told....well....we're waiting on an investor...but don't worry...the money will DEFINITELY be here on Monday. Then Monday would roll around, and we'd hear....well...things didn't go as expected....but just wait until Wednesday....etc...etc. If we complained about not getting paid we were lectured that its not all about the money, its about the dream.
Well yeah...the dream is definitely important...but we also need to feed ourselves! Well anyhow we are all still "promised" the money that we're owed and the "stock options", but we all have yet to see them.

luispages
01-19-2005, 03:46 PM
I'd help if i could, but our legislation is really diferent from yours. (i'm Portuguese).

Anyway, they have something. I've read just above that they were thinking in BUYING Maya licenses, right? Are they planning on paying it with what? Not to mention that there are material things, such as tech hardware, furniture, even the building/facilitie itself , etc etc...

Well to answer your question, let's put it this way....

First G.O is a small townhouse located in a place called Celebration, a small town built by Disney where the biggest business is the AMC Theater (only 2 screens), anyway as you can see is a RESIDENTIAL AREA, and G.O it's been receiving warnings from the town hall about this problem. We could even toast a bagel because the power went out..... "Save everybody... I'm gonna have breakfast"

Second my new laptop is more powerfull than "Coruscant" the main server at that studio, a desktop computer opened on one side to keep up with the high temperatures of the building, which cooling system is a complicated setup based on 3 ceiling fans and a small AC unit hanging from the window.

Thanks to our IT guy and I mean this he did magic to troubleshoot a series of computers that the fastest one (excluding "too fast" the only dual processor in the building") was a P4 3 GHZ with 2 gigs of RAM and 128 megs Video Card, and I'm talking about my machine at that place (Special Effects Workstation LMAO), anyway besides mine we had a wide variety of workstations that looked kinda like the pic attached at the bottom.

So honestly I dont think there's much to choose from at that place.....

stevopolis
01-19-2005, 03:47 PM
I was in contact with this company a year back in regard to work, although I felt something fishy back then. Mainly the quality of work being pitched as "film quality" told me to run! In any regard, after reading many of the disgruntled and legitimate posts, I think there is allot you all have to fight for. It sounds like there have been allot of labor laws broken here. If you have both documentation in email or written form, proof is in the text. Like several have already suggested, I would recommend getting consultation from a lawyer. I'm sure one of you has a friend of a friend in law > thats the easiest way to get the ball rolling.

Bottom line, if the company is breaking laws and ethical rules all over the place, they won't be able to protect themselves from accusations. They should have left a paper trail...

Another thing, there is power in numbers. Several of you coming forth with accusations will speak a thousand words!

Good luck...

BishopLynx
01-19-2005, 04:01 PM
:deal: :shrug:

:sad: What happened to the shiny piece of paper Mr. Huff n' Puff?

I don't know Timmy. :shrug: Come sit on my lap and I'll tell you. :twisted:

agreenster
01-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Cut your losses, say sianara, and move on to a better studio with your new skills.

BishopLynx
01-19-2005, 04:43 PM
exactly. Well said.

Wolfmonster
01-19-2005, 10:30 PM
I have heard the stories about Genisis Orlando. That's pretty f'd up what happened to you guys (responding from 1st page). I recently had the priveledge to work with Pagesbeto on a recent project. He's an awesome guy, and does great work. I hope that in the future, he and the others that worked at G.O. get what they deserve, and G.O. gets what's coming for them. I look forward to seeing the movie, but I have no respect for the company distrubiting it.
- Out

Wolf

Bliz
01-20-2005, 11:28 AM
I proposed to Kathy O'Neal CFO of G.O a payment plan, at least small amounts of money to start working on the debt (something that has been done before with some former animators from G.O) and the answer was that G.O has never done such thing and that they are not in the position of making any payment plans with any of us.

This is the latest email received from Ms O'Neal:

"Hi, Luis. No, Genesis has not recently given checks to anyone to make
up the back pay, except for ......, which was triggered by a
specific case ruling from the State of Florida IRS.

As you can imagine, we have received a number of similar requests for
back pay. I truly wish we could help everyone at this time, but we
simply cannot.

In order to pay back everyone all the money they are owed, our first

Regards,
Kathy

What a load of #$%%^

This is a handy email to keep because she is basically admitting that the company is knowingly trading insolvently which in the UK is illegal. I don't know if it's illegal in Florida but I would have thought so.

Another thing that you might be able to (again I can only go from UK law) is start a bankruptcy petition. This is something banks or suppliers usually do but seeing as you and your peers are unpaid 'suppliers' of labour and talent then you would be eligable.
If successful this would force the company to go into bankruptcy and liquidation (selling all assets and dividing the money between the creditors). The only downside is that if it's like the UK, unpaid tax is given priority over other creditors.

It might be too expensive to initiate but it's worth looking into.

percydaman
01-20-2005, 01:41 PM
yeah some good ideas. They definitely need to be bankrupted. How are they planning on finishing their movie, and receiving funds, if they cant pay anyone to make it???

It might be a difficult choice to make, but I would get a lawyer and finish these guys off. Maybe you recoup your money, maybe you dont. At least you have the satisfaction of shoving it to someone who attempted to shove it to you first.

-=Bingo=-
01-20-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to all the employees of Genisis Orlando. When my friend pagesbeto first told me about the problems he was having there I was shocked! Agreeing to pay your employees while having no intention whatsoever of actually doing so is simply unacceptable. Unfortunately, I know very little of the laws and regulations regarding such matters, but I would do anything to see this company punished and its employees properly imbursed.

I agree that getting a lawyer may be the way to go, but hiring a lawyer is so expensive that you run the risk of losing even more money. :sad:

Good luck!

PhantomDesign
01-21-2005, 12:16 PM
We weren't taxed, so we were considered freelance.

Do I smell somethign fishy?

Basically speakign socail security is 15%. If you are freelance, you pay the entire 15%, but if you are an employee, they pay half (7.5%) and you pay the other half. Essentailly speaking you "salary" (as if it matters any more) was actually 93.023% of the stated sallary. So if you were supposed to be paid $50k/year, it's comparable to $46.5k/year sallary.

If a company want to hire you as a "full time freelance employee" run! There's a lot of dead fish under the carpet of a company that does this sort of thing & you giys might actually not be the first dead fish.

luispages
06-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Well it's been a while since the last post I just wanted to show all of you the BIG NEWS... it seems like Tugger is actually gonna fly, I just hope Varab takes all the money he can get and fly away with his son Tugger.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/orl-tugger_mvst060205jun02,0,737270.story?coll=orl-caltop

Enjoy

mummey
06-03-2005, 07:09 PM
http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/article/538/538309/shaun-of-the-dead-20040922092543744-000.jpg
Ut oh.... ;)

evildeli
06-03-2005, 07:26 PM
What's there to say about G.O. that hasn't been said? I worked for G.O. from December '03 to September '04. I started off in good financial standings. By the end, I was living paycheck to paycheck, which came rarley. I was "let go" when all the animators finally banded together and went on strike(some artists stubburnly held out, till 6 weeks of no pay, made them snap). This forced Jeff to form a committe that decided to go with a skeleton crew(whom weren't paid), and forced the rest to look for new jobs . I HAD to collect unemployment. It was nice that after all their lies, the gov't sided with me and made me the first employee of G.O. forcing them to pay me the 6k owed. I recieved a letter by Mrs. O'neil stating that the stock options that were given to me, were revoked. Her reasoning, was that the stock options were given to freelance artist. As I recall, I was given them because I wasn't paid for 6 weeks. At no time in the meeting was this discussed, nor did I sign a document stating it was for freelancers. So, needless to say, IF the company even goes public, there will be a lawsuit waiting for them, if they deny my stock options.

Anyways, another former "freelance" employee sent this link today, and it's refreshing to see the lies haven't dispersed.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/orl-tugger_mvst060205jun02,0,737270.story?coll=orl-caltop

slaughters
06-03-2005, 08:38 PM
...I recieved a letter by Mrs. O'neil stating that the stock options that were given to me, were revoked. Her reasoning, was that the stock options were given to freelance artist. As I recall, I was given them because I wasn't paid for 6 weeks. At no time in the meeting was this discussed, nor did I sign a document stating it was for freelancers....Scroll up about four or five previous posts and you'll see someone who posted an e-mail from her where she said:

"In order to pay back everyone all the money they are owed, our first

Bonez21
06-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Whats funny is she is no longer working there........... She got " Let go " as well.

evildeli
06-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Mrs. O'Neil said a lot of things, not written in e-mail form. Her signature remark was "irons in the fire". If I had a nickle for every time she used her signature remark in regards to why they weren't gonna pay us, I wouldn't have had to collect unemployment. Keep in mind Jeff had his wife waltz in every week to pick up his check. But of course the priority was to finish the film! Her e-mail is not a legal binding e-mail. There's no such thing. In any case, explain to the people who almost had there cars repo'ed, and the ones who had to cash out their nest eggs, and the ones who bought a house while not getting paid, and the ones who had to beg family memebers to lend them money, that Mrs. O'neil's e-mail justifies not paying their employees, nor their intent to.

luispages
06-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Here I am again with more news, in this case completely different news.....

I GOT PAID!! :bounce:

Today I go a cashier check for all my backpay and I feel it's fair to let everybody know, now I just hope all the others get their money back so we can finally put an end to all this.

I'm so happy :thumbsup:

dmonk
06-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Great news man!

Sorry they took so long though.

beachbum
07-07-2005, 11:46 AM
We were thinking about investing in some shares of stock with Genesis Orlando. ($5,000.00) Then we came across this website. Would any of you honestly take the risk? Thanks for any info you can provide.

luispages
07-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Well that's a difficult question... We all are share holders of G.O and to be honest I think none of us know if that is a good thing or a problem... I dont think we are the best group of ppl to give you that kind of advice, our opinion of G.O and it's future is based on many bad experiences as you can see all along this thread.

Maybe you should go to Celebration Florida and pay a visit to the studio, listen to whatever they have to say and if you decide to invest let me know I'll sell my stocks to you with no problem :deal:

Koogle
07-07-2005, 07:43 PM
I never knew exactly what happened to you Derek when you left the 3d buzz team, it is a shame you did leave, but i can see how it happened now :( Its sad to see how companies like this can string people along knowing people are likely to go along with it just because of the competitive type of industry it is.

Bonez21
07-07-2005, 10:48 PM
We were thinking about investing in some shares of stock with Genesis Orlando. ($5,000.00) Then we came across this website. Would any of you honestly take the risk? Thanks for any info you can provide.

God I hope thats a joke....

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2005, 10:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.