PDA

View Full Version : Cinelerra Beta 2 released

KayosIII
07-28-2002, 05:56 AM
http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

Cinelerra is an opensource video editor for linux that is really starting to look good.
Here is a list of features.

VU meters
unlimited tracks
16 bit YUV compositing
renderfarm
free form editing
Firewire, MJPEG, bttv video I/O
Firewire, OSS, Alsa audio I/O
Batch capturing
SMP utilization
realtime effects
still image panning
Quicktime, MPEG, and image sequence I/O

After having a hell of a time compiling it I am happy to say that it is beginning to look stable enough to work with....
(AFAIK you wont need to compile if your system uses libpng2 instead of libpng3 -- I think this still includes the latest redhat.)

Leonard
07-28-2002, 06:05 AM
Oh this is great!

The question though - is how long can it last as a freeware product? Everyone likes freebies, but companies are not willing to adopt production tools that could be here one day and gone tomorrow. What do you think?

Leo

KayosIII
07-28-2002, 06:52 AM
This product is not only free as in beer but also free as in speech....

The source code is available under public license. Anybody has the right to use this code and make modiforcations to it as long as they make those modiforcations available to other people.....

This means that even if the company making the software disappears off the face of the earth... somebody else can take up from where they left off. Or if you need urgent changes made to the program you can hire a coder to do it for you.....

This gives a type of reasurance that propriety products cannot provide.

ps: I am really going to give it a good workout when our minidv camera comes back from over seas

alphatron
07-28-2002, 08:28 AM
This sounds amazing.. I'm currently using Avid XpressDV under win2k. But was looking to go linux soon. Think Adobe would ever port it's products to Linux?

KayosIII
07-28-2002, 11:13 AM
Possibly.... they got stung badly by SGI a couple of years ago..... A hollywood level company requested this a while back. I don't think Adobe responded..... Personally I can live without Adobe though.

Unless you need to do professional CMYK seperated works a lot you can get by using the GIMP. It has several advantages over photoshop for doing 3d work.... It operates very simularly to photoshop 5 but with subtle differences that frustrate many new users.....

Illustrator, pagemaker and Indesign users will have less luck though. I keep win95 on my machine to do sound (this will probably go when I get drivers written for my pro soundcard) and Win2k to run expression2, Flash3 and Corel Draw. (the vector apps I use)

Ultimately I think linux favours small responsive developers... I think that realsoft3d (www.realsoft.com) is an excellent example of commercial software doing linux well.

aleexsi
07-28-2002, 04:27 PM
Does it support any video editing hardware such as DPS Perception, etc?

Thank You
AL

meloncully
07-28-2002, 05:05 PM
heh, which parts do i download??

the source code? the pentium 2 binaries, the libstd and libgcc libraries?

and uh, how do i install it??

cgSquad
07-28-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by meloncully
heh, which parts do i download??

the source code? the pentium 2 binaries, the libstd and libgcc libraries?

and uh, how do i install it??

ask them h\who made it :)

MrMunkily
07-29-2002, 01:59 AM
I'd reccomend the P-II binaries.

there is some rudimentary IEEE 1394 / DV capture software for linux. plus I think the kernel 2.6 (when it comes out) will support it stably.

KayosIII
07-29-2002, 02:17 AM
I would recommend the binaries on a recent RedHat System. Source for Mandrake.... Or I could upload my binaries if someone found me space and twisted my arm real hard.

The source code is not easy to compile and requires at least two workarounds and 1 change to a source file....

The video4linux project AFAIK is responsible for implementing Video Capture under Linux you could go check them out.

here are some links.....
http://www.thedirks.org/v4l2/peopleprojects.htm
http://www.exploits.org/v4l/

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.