PDA

View Full Version : Maya Subd Or Xsi Subd?

KEKS
02-01-2002, 12:41 PM
Hi , all
I have a choice of using xsi 1.53 or Maya4 in school. What should
I use for Sub D modeling. I have used XSI's surfice aproximation but i dont see all the levels of sub d that i see in maya4.
Am I missing something here???. Should I model in polygons and then subdivide locally and then use surfice aproximation or what is correct workflow for sub D in XSI?
Maya sometimes gets in the way with all the things pilled in the view when switching between different levels of surfaces.
Let me know whats up?

Any new tools in 2.0 as far as SubD go? We are still waiting for the license.

Ciao:D :D :D

jordibares
02-01-2002, 01:41 PM
If you want to suffer a lot, Maya is your choice.

A little bit more explanation;
Subdivs levels in Maya is just a strange tool that although interesting, there are so many drawbacks when operating with the subdiv that it has no sense at the end.

For example, in Maya you can not have a cube, add a single point in one edge and call the subdiv. It simply does not work.
Another beauty of Maya subdivs is that if by accident you do a non-legal action on the modelling (and this is very common) the subdiv thing get "desconected" of the modelling mesh and all you do on it is not refreshed into the subdiv surface. When you realize about that fact is usually too late to go back and i lost many hours because of that.
Also, subdivs in maya are REAAAAALLLYYyyy slow and if you want to animate them (which i supose) and you activate the subdiv, you will see that it is impossible to scrub and "feel" the animation. (on a Dual 800 with a Elsa Gloria III and 1 Gb ram, not bad system)

GO XSI, IT ROCKS. (Specially on that)

KEKS
02-01-2002, 07:27 PM
OK i have realized that in Maya
but tell me what is the correct workflow in XSI
and another thing that I have a question about is
where the heck do you change all the colors of background/grid and such. :)
it takes a while to get used to XSI even tho I am coming from 3dmax background and find XSI wery organized and easy to navigate.

jordibares
02-01-2002, 08:25 PM
The only trick with XSI is to think that every single item (camera, cluster, passes, layers, etc..) is truly an object, with all the good and bad things that it implies. (normally there are more parameters but the flexibility is amazing.

So, the correct procedure when working with Subdivs is to model *totally* freely, then apply the subdiv as a geometric aproximation operation. This means that the subdiv is truly an "on-the-fly" generated element, truly created on the fly. You can apply everything you want to the original mesh that XSI is the one in the transformations and propagation of properties.

To demonstrate the powerful concept behind this i recomend this exercice;

1-Create 2 cubes that intersect.
2-Apply a boolean operation to them, a union.
3-Pick up the booleaned object and activate the geometric aprox.
4-Now move the cubes.

It is a, probably useless, demo of what the powerful architecture of XSI.

The other method, specially useful if you want to texture in another level, no the base level, is to apply a

MODEL>PolyMesh>Subdivision

Now you have a full built object generated and linked to the base object, but, they are both equals. Now you can select, change, edit and do whatever you want with the subdivided object. Even resubdivide with any of the methods.

XSI ROCKS!

To change the color scheme of XSI ??? Can't help with that, I am happy with the standar colors. :-)

By the way, yesterday i changed them but don't remember the access point....

take care.
jordibares

KEKS
02-01-2002, 08:44 PM
ok so its what i was thinking
thats how i would work
start with a poly and then subdivide using local subdivision under polymesh and then use geometry aproximation.
its like 3d studio max meshsmooth in a way?

If you find out how to change the colors i would like to use dark green background its easier on eyes :)

thank you again i think also XSI roks
are there any new tools for sub d in 2.0 , what version are you useing?

jordibares
02-01-2002, 08:55 PM
I don't know exactly the procedure under Max, but if i understand correctly you mean that you want a local refinement, over that apply a subdiv.

MODEL>Modify>PolyMesh>Local Subdivision Refiniement.

-------------------------------

The colors are under the scene definition.

1-So, open the explorer
2-Put in All Nodes (scripting) mode so you see ALL
3-Open the whole thing with P (project mode)
4-now go to the icon scene name and open it.
5-You will see a thing called SceneColors, open it an... voila!!!

or

Type this command and create a button.

InspectObj "YourSceneName.Scenecolors"

in my case my scene is called tests.scn, so it looks like

InspectObj "tests.Scenecolors"

jordibares

PS. And i am using XSI 2.0.1 on Linux

KEKS
02-01-2002, 09:34 PM
GREAT !!! THX I LOVE IT NOW :)
TELL ME HOW IS THE XSI FOR LINUX COMPARED TO NT
I HEARD ITS FASTER IN NT CUZ IT WAS BUILT ON NT.
WHAT KINDA OPEN GL CARD DO YOU USE TO ACCELERATE IT IN LINUX ?

jordibares
02-01-2002, 09:49 PM
Great to help, looks like you are more happy now. ;-)

Well, i could not make any performance test... i am using a dual 800 with an nvidia based card (don't know details...) and it works really well.

My only concern with the Linux version is that you can not use any ActiveX component when scripting, so you lose a the big picture of XSI as a hyperconnected COM application, but, anyway, i am very happy in the overall.

jordibares

geoath
02-03-2002, 03:19 AM
hi keks
i don't have XSI 2.0, but one cool future in subd's is that now u can subdivide an object and propagate it's material too (in xsi1.5 u had to reassign the material ,unless u used the geometry approximation).. This new option must be in the duplicate options i guess..
Cheers

El_Fugee
02-03-2002, 07:06 AM
XSI of course!!!
When you use Subdees levels of Maya for a character envelope you can be in trouble if you exceed level 3. The render is too slow ( even for Maya ):D

mr.bean
02-10-2002, 02:15 PM
maya polygons (with an instantiated duplication) = xsi subdivs

same crap different name.

maya subdivs = who the fek knows what that is, nice try but no banana just yet.

KEKS
02-10-2002, 02:27 PM
XSI has what i was always looking for and its only getting better and better with new versions. The core is clean, new and fast and powerfull. We can write custom tools that we all want for next decade with this package. WOW I am amazed at speed and everything in XSI.
Maya people should realize one thing that the king of animation is back and on top.
I ran my XSI on Athlon k6 and it ran really fast without open gl. That should tell you how good the code is.

mr-doOo
02-10-2002, 06:45 PM
>>maya polygons (with an instantiated duplication) = xsi subdivs

yes but in xsi you have a set edge/vertex crease value (work also with weightmaps)
maya subdee crease add definition and make your model bigger...

jordibares
02-11-2002, 10:08 PM
> maya polygons (with an instantiated duplication) = xsi subdivs

Maya subdiv and maya polygon tools are really bad, has _nothing_ to do with the advanced tools i mentioned.

I wrote a simple exercice to realize what a good design is under XSI -polygon / subdiv / bolean (in fact all the software)-

Maya has great tools, but none of them are the polygon and subdiv tools.

jordibares

mr.bean
02-13-2002, 04:17 AM
Maya has great tools, but none of them are the polygon and subdiv tools.

okay, honestly, thats just stupid

jordibares
02-13-2002, 02:07 PM
For you answer i would recommend you to ask Softimage for a proper demo about those tools, then try to do it on Maya if you can.

jordibares

PS. And if you are in London i would be very happy to show you what i am talking about.

mr-doOo
02-13-2002, 02:32 PM
i use maya and xsi, they have both good polygon modeling tools with some gaps(but tere is some scripts to fill them), i prefer xsi
but one thing that is a big gap in it is the maya move component tool
i agree with mr bean, you cant say that the maya tools are not
polygon tools

jordibares
02-13-2002, 02:48 PM
Anyway... i think is no point in arguee much more about that, the facts talk about it and it looks like a dead end.

May be is just a personal opinion/feeling/whatever you wanna call it.

cheers.

jordibares

mr.bean
02-13-2002, 10:00 PM
PS. And if you are in London i would be very happy to show you what i am talking about.

be careful what you wish for, i'll call you on it next time i'm on the island :)

i do agree that it's pointless to argue about it tho, everyone still gets their work done regardless.

jordibares
02-14-2002, 04:35 PM
:-)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.