PDA

View Full Version : Compositing Reel

JustinAlvarez
07-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey guys,
Here's my (already quite outdated) showreel - 18MB Quicktime Sorenson 3

http://www.xephyrt.net/alc

I am not happy with it as is and are trying to put together a new one asap, but would greatly appreciate any feedback so that i can make my new one much better.

In particular, what shots if any should be left off? What shots run for too long? Are there compositing skills that i should be displaying which aren't shown from the current material? Any suggestions of tests i could do to add to my reel?

Once again, any c&c would be great.

Windmill
07-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Looks good dude, I like the music for it. If I would offer any criticism it would be the lack of variety in the material. It's a good reel style in itself, I think you just need more content.

wtay741
07-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Hey Justin Alvarez,

Nice reel, a few sugestions just IMO.

->More content perhaps. I think the reporter on the beach is out of place. Either cull him or add more variety.
->In u'r new show reel, perhaps incorporate some 3D elements. As it is with more and more show reels, there is a growing tendancy to do this. I guess this just shows the prospective employer that you are not unfamiliar with working together with 3d artist, as you may do often do in the industry. Perhaps some cool 3d tracking would be beneficial to the next reel.
->Maybe show the different layers of the composite, so that one can see and appreciate the technical difficulty involved from beginning to end.

All in all, good show reel all up.
Just keep working on it

JustinAlvarez
07-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the comments Windmill and Wtay. I greatly appreciate the feedback!

I think i might take your advice and remove the reporter at the beach composite at the end. I think maybe it would give a 'theme' feel to the reel which would be better than having that 'random' shot at the end which looks, as you say, "out of place". I'm glad you like the music. I think it fits in well with the style so i'll probably keep that music when i get around to updating it.

What do you think about the 'flat', 'stylized' looking shots, eg. putting the moon into the sky, panning up the trees? I was wondering whether or not to include these shots because i think most compositing (that i have seen on reels) tends to be more 'realistic' whereas these are obviously not.

Does anyone else have any opinions/crits/comments? C'mon guys, help me out here! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.