PDA

View Full Version : adding edgeloops?

gaggle
07-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Hey all,

Whenever I polymodel I always seem to end up frustrated that I can't insert an edgeloop without it affecting the smoothed model. Is there a solution to that today?
I remember about a year ago or so there was a thread over in the 3dsMAX channel where everyone seemed to agree how polymodeling suffered because of this.. but has anything changed since? Maybe I just haven't kept up with the times..

This is one of the reasons I've taken to liking NURBS lately, it's refreshingly delicious to just insert an isoparm where you need it and know it's not going to **** anything up. ..but then NURBS brings in its own slew of problems of course.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, can we insert edgeloops today without it affecting the smoothed version? Is there any tool on the market (plugin or standalone, doesn't matter) that allows this? I think I heard Lightwave has something but I'm not sure..

Nicool
07-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Is there a solution to that today?

Yeah, I understand what you mean... Whatever the software you use, you should find a free script, a package of scripts or even a plugin to perform this polymodeling task. If you are using 3dsmax, check scriptspot.com out.

Otherwise, you should also look at better modeling tool. In "multi-task" softwares, Maya has really teh best modeling tools (even if some poly tools are missed, but many scripts fill this gap). Their exist modeling softwares that aim to make modeling tasks easier (providing best tools). The famouser : Silo and Wings3d (which is a Mirai/Nendo hybrid, but free).

- Nico

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.