PDA

View Full Version : A urgent yet simple question about modeling in max

Chromecyborg
07-27-2002, 02:15 PM
Hey
Ive been using max for about 1 year now and I can't really seem to find my nack modeling wise i've tried Splines (too blocky for me)
,mesh edit and even nuirbs (my best yet but still unable to do what I imagine) and then ive been hearing about sub-d now what exactly is sub-d where do i access it? and whats the best technique for me too use for characters.
Any help will be appreciated

evenflcw
07-27-2002, 04:44 PM
for a SubD experience in max I guess you should try what 3dsmax calls NURMS or get MeshTools, which I think is a free and very popular plugin.

visualboo
07-27-2002, 04:53 PM
Download Meshtools from Scriptspot (http://www.scriptspot.com). Do a search for csPolyTools too. Once you have those>

Make a box> convert to edit poly> extrude> bevel> extrude> tweak> push> pull> bevel> chamfer> mirror> bevel> push> pull> get the idea> tweak.

and whats the best technique for me too use for characters.
Your imagination :D

levin
07-27-2002, 06:32 PM
for technique
i suggest you get active at the DIGITAL SCULPTING discussions at
www.spiraloid.com

Nemises
07-30-2002, 12:00 AM
MY newbyish knowledge of true sub-division is as follows:

think of SubD's as being meshsmoothed Poly's...Except, as you get closer and closer, you'll never see straight edges on a subD (it re-tesselates to an "infinite" degree), where as on polys, it only tesselates the amount you told it to when you "meshSmooth".

People orignally used NURBS to model because it offered nice curves (infinately teselated) with comparatively low "poly" counts (at the end of the day even NURBS are converted into Polys)... however, thay are diffucult to work with (In my opinion).
SubD's are like the cross between Poly's and NURBS ... it has the poly's ease of use (most of the same tools), with the NURBS infinite tesselation (but, unfortuntely, very high poly counts).
Polycounts are becoming less of an issue with faster and faster commercial processors and video cards, thus why SubD's are beoming more and more popular.

Most interfaces are Very similar to the Poly tool set (in maya, you even use Poly-proxy mode, and can use all the Poly tools).

So..if you can Model using Polys, then you can allready model using SubD's (in terms of methodology).

Hope that helps..?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.