PDA

View Full Version : Discreet plasma review

Leonard
07-27-2002, 06:48 AM
Hey guys,

Yours truly just posted a short review of Discreet plasma.
http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=45

http://www.3dfestival.com/stories/2002_7/plasma/comparison.jpg

Best,

L.

ironbearxl
07-27-2002, 08:08 AM
Great article, Leonard. :thumbsup:
Does Plasma only render to swf files, and is this package badically 3d studio max for $650?

Leonard
07-27-2002, 08:43 AM
You can use the Default Scanline renderer too, but it doesn't contain the full feature set that you'd need -- things like Motion Blur, DOF, etc. are all missing. The Flash renderer also lets you export AI (Illustrator) files.

Also, the material editor is completely stripped bare. You can't choose what type of shader (Blinn, Anisotropic, Metal, etc) to apply. For IK, you only have one solver.

For Web 3D production, the feature set is extremely comprehensive. If you need to go further than that, get 3ds max full.

L.

anobrin
07-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Cool new product!!
ive been exporting my 3d character stuff as flash for 2 years
but its good to see another option out there

http://66.70.166.29/animation/grmps.swf

http://66.70.166.29/animation/TRP2.swf

eudemonie
07-27-2002, 07:19 PM
you could also export to shockwave 3d ... this need a keyframe every 90 frames, i don't understand why there is no tool to create them automatic every 90 frames. plasma looks realy good ... reactor is full integrated, but as aspected not all features included.

xynaria
07-28-2002, 03:20 AM
Anyone able to answer the following on this......
Plasma appears to save to a proprietary fromat which leaves users exactly where vis a vis Max and why does there appear to be no expoprt to .max files given it is a stripped down version to all intents. ?
Where does this leave Max users regarding exporting to Flash.... does R5 contain the same facility or are they supposed to shell out for Plasma and a repeating toolset too????

:)

Leonard
07-28-2002, 05:55 AM
Xynaria,

That's a good question. I have max 5 beta and it has the Flash renderer but I wonder if that's because I have Plasma installed?

I will check in with the people at Discreet and have an answer early this week. Thanks for bringing this up.

Leo

Leonard
07-28-2002, 04:58 PM
This is the response from Discreet re: where plasma leaves max users.

Leo: Plasma is able to read .max files but 3ds max 5 is not able to read plasma files is this correct?

Discreet: You are correct, plasma is able to read .max files but 3dsmax is not able to read .p3d (plasma) files.

Leo: Also, does 3ds max 5 come with the Shockwave and Flash output capabilities of Plasma out of the box?

Discreet: No, there is no direct Shockwave3D or Flash capabilities directly shipping in the 3dsmax box. We had previously shipped some of these capabilities in earlier versions of max but not with the currect version. We have significantly improved the Shockwave and Flash output and this functionality is only shipping with plasma. Also, included with your purchase of plasma are 3dsmax plugins for Shockwave and Flash, but it means you need to puchase plasma to get this functionality in max.

Hope that helps.

Leo.

xynaria
07-28-2002, 06:15 PM
Pretty shoddy or what.. I think I doubt I am the only person who finds Di$creets current tack an insult to all Max users. Fine so they say .. go elsewhere... they probably will.... but should a software company despise its programmes and its users this much? Sad.

xynaria
07-29-2002, 02:58 AM
Correction.. that's not just shoddy .. it's down right despicable.. I like Max (or the bits that work) and think it could be a really good programme but I think Di$screet are completely without justification for their current myopic, arrogant and kamikazie attitude. It belies a cynicism that is hard to digest and can only hint at their spectacular failure.. UGH!!! and then some.. beneath comtempt really. :(

frog
07-29-2002, 07:33 AM
To be honest Xynaria, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it, that Flash renderer sucks :)

victormaia
07-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Exist somekind of tutorials about Plasma?
:scream:
I can't find!
If someones wants to help me....
Grateful any way...:D

heavyness
07-01-2005, 03:46 PM
the link appears broken.... is 3dfestival down?

opus13
07-01-2005, 03:49 PM
its been 3 years since it was posted. things just might have changed :)

nimajneb
07-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Plasma is defunct now fellas. Discreet canned it some time ago.

mummey
07-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Wow plasma, so much potential... so many bugs... ;)

Tex3D
07-01-2005, 04:25 PM
I think Plasma fell ill to the same myopic problems that Viz is has been going through since day one. They have a badass core product called Max.

They want to market Max to everybody and their mother, but Architects wont pay for the same features that games houses or effects houses will. Web developers wont either, so they start stripping MAX and target it to theses specific users.

The problem is that Discreet/AutoDesk has always been bad at looking at the big picture. They pull this out and this out and that, and then they do dumb shit like not include a flash exporter in Max.

IMHO Max should everything but the kitchen sink thrown in, and have these spin-off apps be a smaller subset. Discreet acts as if thats EXACTLY what they are doing, but its not. They are doing a bad job of mixing and matching features and always have. Hell, max only recently (version 6 I think??) got the AutoCAD direct link capability. For $4000 thats just stupid.

Ok.. My rant is over and anyone can feel free to disagree since I dont know shit from shine-ola about these things anyways. I just had to vent :blush:

-Dave

PS. Whatever happened to all the games that were gonna support Gmax? hmmm?:D

t-man152
07-01-2005, 04:38 PM
I love thread resurecdtions. always so fun.

heavyness
07-01-2005, 06:31 PM
holy cow! this thread is old. i really should check the dates, i thought discreet brought back plasma.