PDA

View Full Version : The Kitchen, Zuliban (3D)

zuliban
07-09-2004, 04:09 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/66465/kitchen_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/66465/kitchen.jpg)

hi , the kitchen is made whit silo for modeling 3ds max 6 and vray for rendering 2.6 millon of polis..
the iamge is a little big 470kb be patient thx... hope u like it!

and the mesh :
http://vr.pennwebdesign.com/images/modeling%20zuly.jpg

Sin-D
07-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Wow, love the lighting and materials, quite photorealistic if i may say so.

but it doesn't seem to be Anti-Aliased or is just my eyes? :shrug:

inkrow
07-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Looks pretty much perfect :)

EdHarriss
07-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Nice work! I really like it.
The skin in the pears looks like green tangerine skin.
The cups might look a little better if they were all tilted/angled differently.
I like the glasses a lot. They look great.
What's the green stuff in the jar?

Hongman
07-09-2004, 06:36 PM
whoa... holy crap... amazing render... :eek:

Ac0rN
07-09-2004, 06:36 PM
:eek: that is what I call photorealistic, very clean tho..., the tomatos looks a little bit to self illuminated, other than that simply great work :thumbsup:

spm
07-09-2004, 06:42 PM
not very photoreal although its a nice render. its way too celan to start with...

RusMan
07-09-2004, 06:43 PM
WOW:eek: :eek: , man this is awesome, very photorealistic, great job.
LIke someone said the antialiasing could be better.

Miroku
07-09-2004, 06:49 PM
ugh, theres that word again. "photoreal". It's too clean! other than that, nice work, and good hilights, reflections on your materials.

cgfun
07-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Can you tell us how long does it to take to render a frame like this? It's awesome....

My suggestion is that you should crank up the AA value to fix those jagged edges. Those make this pic unnatural. That would be the only flaw i can find.

Great job...and nice lighting...i'd love to have a nice and spacious kitchen like that.:scream:

lukx
07-09-2004, 06:52 PM
real beauty. I'm also interested in render times.

technique
07-09-2004, 06:52 PM
very nice. The towel is a bit straight though..

Ric535
07-09-2004, 06:59 PM
of course its clean - its brand new - why do people think to be photoreal you have to dirty it all up - things start out clean you know

Great Job :thumbsup:

mindrot
07-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Great work. :thumbsup:

As for the photoreal bit: the sink and the stuff on the sink look pretty convincing, but those mugs on the wall don't convince me.

CHRiTTeR
07-09-2004, 07:04 PM
The looks is far too soft and overal contrast could use some work too...
(a contrasty grainfilter in photoshop might to the trick though...)

sorry, just my 2cnts.

ILS
07-09-2004, 07:10 PM
i agree that you don't need dirt to make this look real - what i would like to see is some water droplets since this is a sink scene. the tomatoes, the glasses and the sink itself should have some left over water otherwise great job. did you model the whole room or is it an hdri in the background that is reflecting?

Milho
07-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Great work, what bothers me are the cups, they look kind of thin though in the shaded view they appear to have some thickness.
Besides :thumbsup:

AWAKE
07-09-2004, 07:15 PM
how deep are those cabinets?

wedge
07-09-2004, 07:15 PM
if anyone has ever seen any kind if interior design magazine they know that kitchen shots are ALWAYS immaculate and NEVER grainy. this is perfect for that use, and I wouldn't second guess this AT ALL if it were in a catalog or a magazine.

EDIT: CASE AND POINT - an article from International Smart House on new kitchen design. (http://smart-house.net/smart/pdfs/vol3iss1/kitch.pdf)

Cypris
07-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Wonderfull scene man. One suggestion though: the tomatoes look a little out of place.. they're color has something wrong with it. Its almost like the rest of the kitchen is a real kitchen, but you made the tomatoes and put them in there. Maybee give them some sort of blemish, like your average tomatoe has, with a little color distortion. A little more green in the red too, and darken it just a tad.

Kevin
07-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Nice work!..... agree with most of the comments here, particularly with regards to Anti-aliasing. The only crit I have is that the bottom of the tomato in the middle of the sink is too dark, there should be more bounced light coming from the sink itself as it is highly reflective. Are you rendering with Sub surface scattering?... that would help in this situation..... overall, a nice image.

Kevnab

Profane
07-09-2004, 07:18 PM
if anyone has ever seen any kind if interior design magazine they know that kitchen shots are ALWAYS immaculate and NEVER grainy. this is perfect for that use, and I wouldn't second guess this AT ALL if it were in a catalog or a magazine. I defenetly agree with him! Your render ,despite what otherS said, is of course one of the most photorealistic seen recently...and yes ,it looks like you took a photo of a kicthen for a magazine ....

Outstanding.

tuba3d
07-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Very nice image!!!

Fantastically photorealistic.!

:thumbsup:

Good job!

[]s
tuba3d

Marco-Genovesi
07-09-2004, 07:22 PM
WOW,
really photorealistic. Excellent Work! :thumbsup:

I think you can obtain a better result on the tomatoes, placing a little spot under their baseho aggiunti, I feel it too dark.
Probably i would like to add 10% of reflectivity and subtract 20% of reflection smootness from it.

The rest is perfect :applause:

-Marco Genovesi-
A r t D i r e c t o r

Dreamlike Visions (http://www.dreamlikenet.com/)

ambas
07-09-2004, 07:22 PM
tomatoes dont fit in but it is still great

baby
07-09-2004, 07:30 PM
the only word that comes to my mind is...

IKEA

LOL

really nice !!!

Sas.hun
07-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Woooooooow!!! :eek:

This is Fantastic! Very nice render! :thumbsup: 5 star :bounce:

zuliban
07-09-2004, 07:34 PM
thx guys indeed the iamge was made to look like a super clean magazine kitchen thx for the crictics and commentaries about the rendertime it was 2 days 48 hours straight and about AA it couldnt put some more or the scene will go for something like 5 days lol. well many tthx and many thx for the front page!!!

Coolhand
07-09-2004, 07:34 PM
beautiful, though the materials on the fruit and the cups look a bit off, and some lines look aliased.

mmkelly011881
07-09-2004, 07:35 PM
nonrendered pic is loading but the "photoreal" one is not

cant see it

CHRiTTeR
07-09-2004, 07:40 PM
if anyone has ever seen any kind if interior design magazine they know that kitchen shots are ALWAYS immaculate and NEVER grainy. this is perfect for that use, and I wouldn't second guess this AT ALL if it were in a catalog or a magazine.

EDIT: CASE AND POINT - an article from International Smart House on new kitchen design. (http://smart-house.net/smart/pdfs/vol3iss1/kitch.pdf)True, but there's always grain on a real foto. Adding just a little grain will add also more 'detail' to it. Also shadows could use a bit more darkening to add more depth.

sinthetic
07-09-2004, 07:47 PM
I think the knife handle is far too thin, especially for a large cutting blade that you made. It looks out of place, as do the cups that are hanging, can't place the exact "problem" they just look odd. Perhaps it is the shading/shadows and lack of contrast in that area, perhaps changing their color would help?

Very nice work, I don't see a need to "dirty" this up, but I agree about adding a few drops of water around the tomatoes.

elnady
07-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Great job

vey realestic:thumbsup:

digitalputty
07-09-2004, 08:26 PM
WOW! That is amazing! :love:

I wish my kitchen looked like that ... and had those nice spot lights above the sink. Sweet! :P

The only things I see that are odd are:
- The pears need more green and need to be darker? Maybe ... 0_o ??
- The tomatoes ... I am a tomato freak (I eat them everyday) need to be not so perfect. Dont make them bruised and stuff but ... perhaps a bit darker in areas and lighter in others. Tomatoes (the ones around here anyway) are usually a bit yellower around the stem part. Like a red orange-ish yellow. 0_o
- The coffee/cocoa cups are a bit thin ... :P

GORGEOUS RENDER! I love this piece! :) The glasses on the right - I could drink out of! :)

KINGOFPAIN
07-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Whao!.. thats as real as it gets.... good work.:thumbsup:

Rikaro
07-09-2004, 08:35 PM
well not that bad
great work :P

ranjan
07-09-2004, 08:36 PM
amazing work man!

3dMasterKim
07-09-2004, 08:45 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause:
damn~!! you got the skill~!!
i totally thought it was a photo.. you are just amazing~!!

Sceme
07-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Modeling is fine, but...the render is somehow bothering. There is nothing really "special" that my eyes and/or mind would like...

Good start anyway

superlayer
07-09-2004, 09:00 PM
I think its awesome and Ii like the cleaneliness of it.
Adding lots of dirt to a kitchen scene would communicate something intirely different.
I think its a brave idea to try to archieve photorealism and preserve cleaneliness at the same time.

Great work and 5 stars from me.

egz
07-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Great work again Zuliban!

You should really stop using the brightness adjustmend in photohshop though. It's clamping your colors to about 220 for white point, giving the image a grey look and you lose your highlights. Look at the levels in photoshop.

hesido
07-09-2004, 09:52 PM
I agree with others who say "dirt" isn't always necessary for photorealism! Zuliban shows us photorealism can be achieved without putting dirt here and there ;-)

in your sofa
07-09-2004, 10:05 PM
thats sooooo crazy!! seems a bit too bright to me...but thats not really too big of a problem...

NICE WORK!!!

mediumRare
07-09-2004, 10:29 PM
First of all nice render.
If photoreal is the goal of this image though, it falls a bit short.

Not to harp on this again but I think it needs dirt. By that I dont mean a grunge map on the wall or the sink. Those elements can be clean; Like someone mentioned before, they might be brand new.
As for the organic stuff, we need some "dirt". You couldnt find a piece of fruit like that at any supermarket. They look plastic. Some small bruises or pits would help.
Also look inside a real jar of pickles, the water is more greenish and there are "floaties" in there. The glass on the jar is way too clean, like someone put it there, then got the windex out and wiped it. IMO its giving the scene a very 3D look.

my thoughts....

slaughters
07-09-2004, 10:36 PM
... things start out clean you knowNot in my house.

sebast1an2
07-09-2004, 10:44 PM
thx guys indeed the iamge was made to look like a super clean magazine kitchen thx for the crictics and commentaries about the rendertime it was 2 days 48 hours straight and about AA it couldnt put some more or the scene will go for something like 5 days lol. well many tthx and many thx for the front page!!!
2 days, 48 hours? are you kidding??

with mental ray you can render comparable images with higher sampling in approx. 4-8 hours per frame on a 2ghz machine.. (actually i'm not that artistic talented to create such a scene, so please don't ask;)

..but on the other side, the difference to vray is that you can't render a whole sequence with mental ray without the need of extra the 4-8 hours of computation per frame..
I never tried vray, only read that vray would be sooo fast after the precomputation.. so maybe that's the the diffence between the renderers.. ?? can anyone confirm this? would also like to know if FinalRender also needs such long precomputation... ??

nevertheless.. really good and artistic work!!!

bene.b
07-09-2004, 11:56 PM
i also agree with most of the things said. no need for dirt though.
something that bothers me a little bit is the physikal depth of the sink (as shallow as a tomatoe in height?) as well as the depth of the cabinets. the latter problem might be the angle though. both could need a little more space, (u wanna wash/put dishes in there right?)

great job!

JeT
07-10-2004, 12:06 AM
very nice image. im not into questioning realness of it, thats what cameras are for. that seems to be a very impractical sink by the way! the tomatoes inside it seem a little out of place, drawing more attention to the shallow sink. i'll have to be honest with you - i dont like the sink. great job!

jeremybirn
07-10-2004, 12:09 AM
Looks great overall. My only feedback would be a few small points:

I hope you can add anti-aliasing to the cabinets beneath the sink, if it isn't taking too long to render the scene.

The tomatoes need bounce light - it would make sense to give the tomatoes at least as much bounce light as the pears are getting, because the sink bottom under the tomatoes is brighter than the cutting board beneath the pears.

I can see from your mesh that you modeled some variation into the towel, but the lighting on it is making it look flat because it lacks directionality - try giving it less general GI and more of a light from screen-left.

Is that greenish jar supposed to be empty, or is there liquid in it? If it's liquid I can't see the top surface of it. Actually, some water and wetness would add a lot to the scene, especially in the sink and on the tomatoes.

-jeremy

emilioG
07-10-2004, 12:09 AM
very ncie job. All perfect in my eyes but 2 things:

-the pears don't look real. With my pear experience, eating that is, they should be a bit darker green and should have darker spots.

-the tomatoes look composited in. The shading looks odd...

still unreal... or should I say real!
:)

nice one.

digitalputty
07-10-2004, 12:10 AM
In response to the 'short sink' issue - I have been in model homes as of late ... and, they have a vegetable sink ... a smaller sink where you wash vegetables and the like. In this render ... there is a second sink on the left under the cutting board. That is the sink where you would wash dishes (if you didnt have a dish washer ;) )

bene.b
07-10-2004, 12:22 AM
well obviously you must've thought of something when modeling the sink...:)
didn't even knw such a fancy shmancy veggie sink exists ;)
thx for the explanation

DoLeeP
07-10-2004, 01:02 AM
very good work love it

and its real

zuliban
07-10-2004, 01:08 AM
hey thx for the criticts but some of you have a little bad eye, the sink for example is identical as i see on the reference also the tomatoes maybe they need some variarion on color but the bounces are right , about the green fruit yes they are darker but the scene is very bright then they became more bright too the bounces are placed 1.0 the maximum level in vray . im right about the lighting i shold have made it more visible the shadow the cabinets lost their volumen but because the light is in front well many thx ill take in considetarion most of the critics:)

dotzro
07-10-2004, 01:08 AM
of course its clean - its brand new - why do people think to be photoreal you have to dirty it all up - things start out clean you know

Great Job :thumbsup:
I agree with you

now the question is, was that his intention?
great job anyway, just that the anti-alias looks like it needs some work.

I cant say much, my work is no where near this.......HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

danielkenobi
07-10-2004, 01:54 AM
Hey nice render so you are frome Mexico, were are you from??

saturen3
07-10-2004, 03:00 AM
Hey Mate...!!

Nice Image.Very clean and mudy.Did you use HDRI system or only Vray lights?
Seems so amazing.Please put us some expression about your Vray settings or the scene if may be.

Ali Reza

cat33
07-10-2004, 06:25 AM
truuuue....nice work! i would love to have a kitchen counter like that. Looks easy to manage..... Beautiful render and congrats on front page. :thumbsup:

-cat

phoenix
07-10-2004, 06:29 AM
i must say very impressive work ...truely nice ...would u like share ... on how did u do it ....

regards

Sychosis Dragon
07-10-2004, 07:15 AM
WOOOOOW! I wish I had VRay! That looks AMAZING! Love it.

hyunwo0
07-10-2004, 07:25 AM
very very nicly done, one critique may be the fully visible tomato in the sink looks slightly grainy, other than that very nice work http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

sebast1an2
07-10-2004, 08:32 AM
yes, please share the geometry (without lighting setup).. so we could have a little comparison between the different renderers here...

marcusss
07-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Excellent overall!!!

I would just like to see different motifs on the hung cups. They way they are now, they look too similar, and like of fade in the back wall. If they had different color designs (discreet, though) on them, and, say, a ceramic material with some reflectivity, this area of the scene would look just perfect, wich is the only thing lacking in this already excellent piece.

Mark'Husss

jasonbowers
07-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Ooof! How many polys? Eeek!!!!!! My PC just fell over reading that :)

a.

luhna
07-10-2004, 09:44 AM
:drool::drool: AMAZING :applause::applause:... great work!!!

ivo D
07-10-2004, 11:38 AM
looks great.. very well done.

but for photoreal it misses a few things.

everything that is whire it to white, and doesnt have a bump.. its all a little to smooth
especially the , how do you call it, the kitchen table .

the tomatos,are to illuminated and a little to diffuse in color.

for the rst ,most of the materials, could use some little vague dirt.
caus when you touch something metal it get fat spots from your hands and all that, so some parts will highlight more than others etc.

maybe you could adjust all the little things, and compare.
would be lots of a progress

Samran
07-10-2004, 12:10 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: very nice :eek: :eek: :eek:

AshtonWoolley
07-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Hey,

Brilliant work here, i must say alot of people are giving your crits..etc.
but if you didn't say it was CG and it was a "Photo" they wouldn't have anything to say.

Grate work, but seeing it is CG i have a few comments.

With the Glass jar next to the pears, on the bottem of it, it looks like a mans eye. :)

Also i agree the tomattos are are bit discolored, and there should be some water in the sink!

ASW

megamusZoidus
07-10-2004, 12:54 PM
looks like something out of an ikea catalog book

gary-smith
07-10-2004, 05:10 PM
That render is absolutely amazing! 10+++!!!

joker-like
07-10-2004, 07:45 PM
:buttrock: very nice ....but it's very easy for me to do that but my pc will not:rolleyes:

Jure
07-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Great stuff man! Sure it's not 100% photoreal. But it's pretty darn close... A little photoshop work and it's there...

Keep it coming!

Toxic_Mind
07-10-2004, 11:25 PM
holy crap.. man.. this.. really.. rocks!!! :buttrock: :buttrock:

T_M

moviejunkie101
07-10-2004, 11:34 PM
not too shabby...

jcjimenez
07-11-2004, 01:41 AM
Great!!!!!

ENIAC
07-11-2004, 01:42 AM
Great stuff
that vray looks good

Joss
07-11-2004, 02:03 AM
Yep, VRay does kick but. That render time is scary though.

I'd love to see an organic, dirty little creature against this super clean environment. You know, some contrasting elements... :D

Frenkie
07-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Ah!

Its really pleasant.

b-lame
07-11-2004, 11:29 AM
i think the tomatoes need more gloss.
other than that: fantastic work. :thumbsup:

mstl
07-11-2004, 12:15 PM
:thumbsup: great work zuliban :thumbsup:

Tranchefeux
07-11-2004, 12:26 PM
WHOUAAAAAHH!!!!
Which métrise, very succeeded...
:applause:

GARA
07-11-2004, 06:24 PM
nice,
let me republish that most popluar word in this thread yet again, photorealistic...
only thing that gives the piece away IMO is the towel...
erm? maybe the mugs...

The-3D-Data-Labs-Guy
07-11-2004, 09:53 PM
nice work zuliban, I agree with the tomato issue. Adding few comments to the photoreal talk, some said that they would like to see some dirt to make it photoreal I would say that if we want to have a highly realistic image of a kitchen scene, we could have used a camera. I think when doing this kind of scene (to impressed and attract the viewer) we shouldn't be showing dirt. We can't use a camera to get a super clean shot so we do it in 3d without dirt in there.

But people like us would say 'oh thiz iz not photoreal, gotta have some dirt to make it photoreal'. But our mums will look at it (if it is in a magazine or something) and say 'oh this the very much I want..or this is so clean'..etc. I think especially if this is for a magazine related to interior design or something we could get the attention by showing a super clean kitchen scene which may not be possible with a camera.

Well, this is what I think. Whatever, this is very good work.

TheProwIer
07-12-2004, 05:54 AM
Looks excellent to me, but my brother was able to tell that it wasn't a photo based on the skin of the fruit - and the mugs don't look quite right.

Saikin
07-12-2004, 05:59 AM
nice lighting, material, and detail...only complaint is that the tomatoes look flat...

yidaYEOH
07-12-2004, 07:42 AM
perfect!much time?

Sqwall
07-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Fantastic. But you should fix the AA it is at very lower rate. The textures are great. And the materials are topnotch.

peXel
07-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Stunning work! I like it.

KaDDD
07-12-2004, 12:22 PM
exelent job ! man ! very good light and superbe shader !
wow :)

Q_B
07-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Congrats! It's a magnificent image!

There may be some lill tiny things to improve, as it was already mentioned, but definitely NOT to add dirt.

I mean, damn, he already explained his aim was the sort of catalogue shot, and ppl, on catalogue shots, i assure u, not even fingerprints remain on the surfaces, well, not at least with good photographers.

This is a catalogue shot image. It does NOT need dirt, dirt would simply ruin it all the way.

Again, congratulations!

k4k
07-12-2004, 04:22 PM
g8 work zuliban!! :thumbsup: fantastic rendering....
i liked a lot....

Razorb
07-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Very nice render, although dosn't seem very chaotic which is usually defining for realism, its way to clean, all the objects and the environment are modeled very well, but a little dirt, haze, something is needed if you are truly seeking realism.

Good Work..

magebane
07-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Very awesome pic!!! I have to say that it seems obvious that the artist wanted it to look super clean. I agree there could stand to be some tweaking to a couple of the textures but it looks good.
As to the dirt issue, magazines do use Photoshop to clean up images you know. The model or idea of perfection tends to be what they shoot for in those home and garden type mags.

Mayer
07-12-2004, 07:16 PM
No critique! It's phantastic.

Regard
MaYer

SpaXe
07-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Woow...it's my dreaming kitchen..
I feel sleepy..and happy^O^.

Gentle Fury
07-13-2004, 01:00 AM
not very photoreal although its a nice render. its way too celan to start with...
UMMMMM, are you kidding me??? First off, it looks amazingly real. Secondly, whens the last time you saw a dirty or at all used kitchen in a home magazine......they look exactly like that.

Are you telling me that if you saw that in Better Homes and Gardens and didn't know it was CG that you would even question it?????

nullUser
07-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Very nice.

My crits...
-The hanging cups don't look photoreal.
-The shader on the pears needs work.

DUCKORABB
07-13-2004, 07:47 AM
Woow, really nice light!! Can you send on board some param from vray?

Really great work! Congratulations!

Regards!

DCKRBB

skyraider
07-13-2004, 08:37 AM
very good work zuliban :thumbsup: :applause:
and great render
good luck
:bounce:

misterphotoshop
07-13-2004, 09:25 PM
looks excellent but one thing i noticed is that the tomatoes should perhaps be a little more glossy/shiny

Guybrush
07-13-2004, 09:26 PM
it looks ppl in here are racing for stupidity, didnt the guy already said the wanted to achieve a catalogue look?!...then why is still ppl saying the scene needs dirt?, ppl must leave all in deep shit not to accept a clean scene...and its not necessary the best photographer in the world to take a photo like this WITHOUT dirt, iven fingertips, because there are ppl that clean the stuff before taking a photo for catalogues.

ElPoofe
07-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Even with a "clean" look, the scene is far too averaged and needs much more contrast. It's not a matter of clean vs dirty--it's a matter of contrast and color variation. The use of skyportals and irradiance mapping (I presume) has washed out the contrast and gives the image away. The AA, as others have mentioned, definitely needs some work. The chrome would have more and varied refelctions of the environment.

just my 2 cents...

Tu_Vieja
07-16-2004, 01:40 PM
hello, I congratulate you by your realistic work
:buttrock: :thumbsup:

echo_tracer
07-28-2004, 12:50 AM
I love it but i have a question. Did you make to right sink to be that way?? Ive never seen a sink that high up. Is it just made to wash fruits?? Just curious.

untilitsleeps
08-31-2004, 11:03 AM
If I wouldn't know I'd say that is a photograph, so that can only mean, GREAT work man :thumbsup:

gizmoroo
09-13-2004, 12:08 PM
really beautiful work, its so really realistic... amazing...

yann moalic
01-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Very good job...Amazing!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.