PDA

View Full Version : 2D-Portrait

Aluuk
07-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Hi everyone...

This is my first time posting a drawing in this forum, and I was hoping for some amazing feedback from you guys. I am trying to take my portrait drawing ability to the "next level" or atleast to some level :) and I wanted to see what crits you guys could offer to help me in my goal.

Thanks in advance,
Leif

http://www.sora-ent.com/jeffers/random/portrait1.jpg

Joebount
07-09-2004, 07:31 PM
If it's a little girl (a child), she has adult lips, if it's a woman, well, she has a very small nose and big eyes ^^ cute tough

jrwells
07-12-2004, 05:50 AM
Leif,

I think you have a great line quality to your drawing. Very nice variation size and pressure and your shading is great, although it kind of fails on the lips. The shading styles differ greatly between the hair and the face, but I think it really seems to work well on this. Those big eyes really add to the sense of dissatisfaction that you have captured with her lips. I am curious as to why you choose to shade and not shade the areas that you did. Are you attempting to accentuate the smoothness of the female face by not adding further depth and only shading the major areas? The back of the hair really adds to the over all depth, but the face itself is very flat. As far as realism goes, I think you have captured a real mood, and really defined the face, but if you intend to capture realism, you will need to work into the face more.

Asking for help discovering or climbing "levels" is very hard to do based off of one drawing. I would really like to see more of your work. How about scanning a few more drawing so we can really see what rnge you have.

staffanlincoln
07-12-2004, 06:15 AM
Hi Aluuk

Good looking girl you've got there. I can't draw this well myself, but I can't help commenting on her eyes. Her pupils looks drugged. Since the iris is so dark compared to the hair and everything it almost looks as if she has disc sized pupils and no iris.

Cute though,

Aluuk
07-12-2004, 07:12 AM
Joebount: Ohhh …I see what you mean. Yeah it is supposed to be a child. I bet you get that adult feeling because the lips are so dark. Makes her look like she is wearing make up. Hmmm never thought about that affecting it. Cool...something new to keep in mind. Thanks!!

jrwells: Thanks for the compliments!! Yeah I agree it does all kinda get lost in the shading of the lips. Hmmm why did I chose to shade what I did? Well usually I have a tendency to over do it on lines, and it ends up making the face look messy, and bad. So I went back to the basics and thought I would try to reteach myself. I have been trying to relearn things from the Loomis books, and he doesn't do a lot of shading on women’s faces...granted more than I did, but still not much. Anyways to answer your question ...no deep meaningful reason. I'm just exploring, testing things out, and trying to find my style.

Sure I would be happy to post more artwork, but I am afraid I don't have anything else in a style exactly like this. I am trying to improve, and this was the first attempt in a new direction for me. If you want to see how I used to draw faces, before this attempt...just let me know and I will post a few.

staffanlincoln: Interesting feedback! I never thought about that. I will pay closer attention to that in the future. Thanks for the crit's and compliments!

jrwells
07-12-2004, 03:25 PM
By all means post your old stuff. I must say that I am a little curious to see what style you are trying to get away from. You obviously have good control of your lines and a good eye for detail. And when you do, explain what it is that you are trying to get away from.

Aluuk
07-13-2004, 07:16 AM
As per jrwells request:

I think I am just trying to make my faces look more realistic. Gain a understanding of the planes of the face, and how to convey them correctly, and precisely. How to portray the features in a way that seems more realistic, and adds life and character to the face.

Here are a few pen sketches:

http://www.sora-ent.com/jeffers/random/pen_head7.jpg
http://www.sora-ent.com/jeffers/random/pen_head5.jpg
http://www.sora-ent.com/jeffers/random/pen_head1.jpg

jrwells
07-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Well you faces already seem to have quite a bit of character. I am interested in seeing how you do as you develope your realism. The jump from your pen sketches to your pencil drawing is definatly a step in the right direction. I image that you won't have much trouble developing more realism with your expressive stroke.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.