PDA

View Full Version : Mini challenges?

Dargon
07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Tried this in the Comp 8 thread, but only joker responded, so I'll try it out here in the open ;)

So, whaddya guys think, while we're in the usual lull waiting for the judges to submit, and then waiting for the decision for what comp to do next, that we have another mini-comp?

I'm thinking it could be a usual thing to do, between all the comps, is have an easy-to-do, learn a bit for next time type of comp. We could cut it short when the real one starts, and do a vote for best entry. I'd keep the all in one thread idea from the last one, but perhaps a little more like the Sketch of the Day comp. If it takes off, we could do a game art of the week, or even daily game art.

Possible ideas I thought of would be:

*Model and texture a firearm with 500 triangles, and a single 256X256.
*"Skin" the model provided with a 512X512. (UVs done already)
*Model a head with 128 triangles and 128X128 texture.
*Model and texture a gate to a tomb.

Another way to take it would be topics like the Daily Sketch ones, like:

*Gatekeeper
*The last day of Pompeii

If we kept the poly counts and texture sizes really low, lower if it's charcters, slightly higher for props and environment objects, then it would be possible to finish them in an evening or 2, which should be just about perfect... :)

So... opinions?

Fenriz
07-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah sounds good, definetly like the idea of the 128 poly head with 128x128 texture! Some of the stuff submitted on the CGChat version of that was really cool. Not to say the other possible ideas don't apeal to me too =)

I say go for it, and if it's something new every week/month then there's plenty of scope for finding something to appeal to everyones interests!

Neil
07-09-2004, 06:24 PM
everyone already thinks i'm bitter, but whatever, here's what i think...

the attitude is pretty weak in terms of these competitions. submissions start and don't get finished, judges don't even f-ing judge (even after a PM reminding me to vote, the PMer hasn't even judged), same petty arguments come up everytime, etc.
If you wanna do it, just do it. But I'm getting a bit worn out by continually trying to make this some bigger thing that it is, it doesn't seem like anyone cares and we're beating a dead horse. Whatever happened to the promised plugs throughout the competition and during the final submissions. Ok, so mods are busy, so am I, but I did my part! Whatever... see my point?

Devised_Poly
07-09-2004, 07:49 PM
I think itd be awesome if this fell through. A great way for someone like myself to practice.

DougG
07-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Every week sounds awesome, even if its not judged or even plugged. The point of these challenges would just to see everyone's different approaches and solutions to the same problem. We would all learn and continue to grow as artists.

yeaaa so every week :D

Fungusmonkey
07-10-2004, 06:22 PM
I like the mini challenges, but here are my concerns:

1. There are always a lot of entries to the main challenges, but usually very few finished pieces.

2. CGTalk has a wide array of 3D artists, ranging from beginner to pro.

3. A lot of us have day jobs, and don't have an excess of free time.

So here's my opinion: I think we should keep the mini challenges, but they should only take place in between the main challenges, and they should be something that is easy enough for the majority of us to finish.

1. If more people get used to actually finishing their mini entries, and they see how cool it is to get feedback, they may work harder to finish their entries for the main challenges, which means we have a much cooler thread all around.

2. If everyone can do the mini challenge, beginners and pros have an equal opportunity to join in.

3. It should be something that the more professional of us can finish quickly, and then offer help to the rest.

Just my two cents.

Supervlieg
07-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Good idea. I like being able to jump into a weekly comp without having to wait a month (or more) for a new subject on the big competition.

TRyanD
07-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Id like to see alot of little mini challenges, that dont really end or be judged to just help some of us newbs learn a few things hehe.

Like model a low poly hand, texture it, rig it, stuff that you would usually do for a bigger comp but just smaller bits. Model a prop, or a head. Give a decent poly range and maybee give a basic design to use like male or female head with short hair. Get everyone to give examples and wip to help us noobs learn to do better hehe.

Could just have everyone post in one thread, then make it a sticky, or just make some sticky thread with links to a bunch of mini challenges. Add a new one every few weeks or something.

Kizza
07-12-2004, 10:26 AM
I like the idea but I think modelling a part of a character is a waste. It may be good in terms of experience though but I prefer rather to model something more simple than part of a bigger thing. Like the challenge could be model UV and texture texture a evil character's grenade, a gun,a crate. These are things that you still would use in a game and would take much less time 'cause they are smaller.

Model a gate sounds like the right scale and usefulness I think.

Dargon
07-12-2004, 11:08 AM
OK, we're getting pretty good response for the weekly idea, and I'm totally willing to go for that myself. I think it would work best if we do almost exactly like the daily sketch forum, with your finished entries all going in the one thread, but on a weekly basis. As well as that, I think it would be best if whoever is running it (I will, unless a mod wants to, or doesn't want me to) picks the topic every week, rather than wasting time with votes and so on.

I'm thinking a suggested topics sticky would be handy as well, as I'm not going to be able to come up with an infinite amount of ideas on my own, and I'm sure people would like input! :)

As far as topics go, I think things like gate to a tomb, or heads or armour pieces, that sort of thing will be the way to go. I like the idea of some of the comps being about modeling, but some being about texturing or rigging.

I'm going to wait a bit though, and let the next proper challenge get under way before I start, to make sure we don't kill it by doing this.

In the meantime, feel free to put any suggestions for topics, or how to run it here!

Cheers for your input, and keep it coming!

obelisk
07-13-2004, 11:55 AM
OK Neil. I'm a guy who's entered a number of comps, and never finished one [weak I know]. this happens for a bunch of reasons, but mostly, I start when I'm motivated, and I've got time, and then my time goes away, and with it (after a long day in the salt mines) goes my motivation/confidence. regardless, I've learnt quite a bit from my abortive entries, and I'd like to continue.

I think the between main comps would be enough for me, but weekly would keep it spicy, and people could take their pick. Actually, that's the other thing that's been holding me back from completing. The briefs so far, haven't played to my interest enough. Maybe there could be an environment comp, or a room comp, or a tree comp. I like the suggestion of a crate, or a gate, or a flower, or even a grenade. Superheroes are great, but how many do we really need?

Anyway, that's my 2 bob...

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.