PDA

View Full Version : Gavin - Character - "Rhinosaur"

GavinG
07-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Hello boys and girls,

Starting a new project to be released on Gavin Demo Reel v.2. Trying to enhance it both aesthetically and technically. This next piece will be a "Rhinosaur" (name taken from a Soundgarden song), unfrtunatley I started this fellah a day before the contest was announced...aw well.

You can check a rough idea of it here: http://www.gavimage.com/rhinosaursketch.jpg

Basically, he'll be a mount for a nasty warrior. He'll be a modified Rhino, obviously with muscles a bit exagerated. I think the muscles would still work, but at the same time know no rhino could get that ripped...but still :) He'll have small spikes coming out of his spine as well.

The rider was orginally going to be a zombie warrior...but then a friend brought forth the idea that a zombie would just eat the rhino's brains...so...i'm kind of on the fence with a few ideas right now. Will keep you all posted on that.

Shaded:
http://www.gavimage.com/rhinosaur2.jpg
Wires:
http://www.gavimage.com/rhinosaurwire.jpg

Please, let me know what you think. What you like and what can be changed. The more you help the bette rit can become, the better it becomes the better reel i have...and so on and so forth :)

-Gavin

Peddy
07-09-2004, 09:45 AM
the base of the feet dont appear to be comfortable to stand on - too narrow. maybe they are, im no rhino expert. also that flap of fat at the neck looks too much like a ring going around the entire neck, its distracting. also, correct me if im wrong, but the legs appear to be unnaturally short, that being, the shoulders are too low, maybe...

it just looks like the rhino is fully tensed just for standing up...

hope this helps

GavinG
07-09-2004, 10:17 AM
thanks Peddy, it does help :)

A rhino's feet are actually much much more narrower, the shoulders are a bit oversized which probably makes them look too low (again the rhino's shoulder wouldn't nearly be that ripped) I will modify the feet some more though...maybe some more padding or something?

feralghost
07-10-2004, 12:00 AM
sweet, but ya his shoulders are way too ripped he needs more baby fat.

TimMurphy
07-10-2004, 07:29 AM
I was wondering wether this model is going to be rigged and animated, or is it purely a modelling exercise.
I only ask because I'm not sure about the shoulders. They look fine, but I cant quite picture how the scapula would move from this position.
But I'm no expert of Rhinos.

GavinG
07-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Yo, thanks guys. Yep, the shoulders are causing too many problems so i'm going to just re do them completly. I've reconsidered them, even though i'm not animating...i would like to have the model ready for animation. An update will come soon :)

GavinG
07-15-2004, 08:30 AM
*check first post*

eek! an update. Been busy reworking his front legs and shoulders. Although still a beefcake, I think it's looking much bette rthan the overly ripped former model. Might even tweak it more to resemble the hing legs...His rider will resemble a Vlad the Impaler toy i just bought, also his accessories will be designed around that rider's style. Sooooo...I also plan on making some armor for him which may cover one of the shoulders...

<end rambling.>

Thanks for viewing, please feel free to comment :)

Gav

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.