PDA

View Full Version : Edges! realistic corners

Rumr
07-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Something always on my mind as a newby creating 3d items im always wondering what is it im going to do near the end to keep my items shape,

Crease edges, or add 1 more edge b4 the corners...

This is on my mind because if i create something id like it to be realistic, that being no edges/corners are sharp. But that takes time to do and it makes my item with so much more polys more mess but if thats the way to do im down for it. I just feel as if im doing something wrong or im not away of a few tricks or ideas to get to things. If anyone can say some tips or say anything to make me feel better please do.

Thanks alot CGtalk heads.

Savage_Henry
07-09-2004, 08:52 AM
It depends on alot of factors.

How close are you going to get to the model?
how often is the edge going to be seen?

All these types of questions will dictate an answer. In my case I like to do it right (no sharp edges) because you never know when ideas and plans will change. Best to be prepared. Kind of a generic answer....but it's the truth.

Rumr
07-09-2004, 05:10 PM
makes sence, thanks alot.

McWolfe
07-14-2004, 06:59 AM
If it's not to up close, I would suggest just adding a surface/bevelling the edge. This is good even if your object is not close enough for the edge to be clearly seen. One main issue is that edges in real life often capture highlights, and it is these highlights you want, not the actuall appearance (well, that to, but you get my point) of a hyper-sharp edge.

McWolfe

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.