PDA

View Full Version : Any tutorials on building demolition/implosion?

Pixarman
07-09-2004, 04:09 AM
I have searched high and low for any useful tips or tutorials on how one would go about bringing a building down. It's for a viz project. I did a quick test and it looked pretty horrible.

I'm using Maya 6, if that helps any. I used some quick particles and just rescaled the buliding until it was flat. The client really liked it, but fortunately they aren't too hard to impress. I just wanted to make something a little better, not super detailed, but a bit better than a 20 min squash job..

I'm new to the particle system also...

Pixarman

LoTekK
07-10-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm no expert on building demolition, but here's an idea that would still use squashing, but may get better results. Instead of doing a straight squash on the entire mesh, segment the building into the appropriate number of floors, then squash each floor from the bottom up in sequence, mimicking the way buildings generally collapse in demolitions work. Maybe a slight noise modifier on the entire building as well, so as to make it a little less "clean"?

gaggle
07-10-2004, 10:32 PM
You messed with Maya's "Shatter"? You can break objects into fragments.. sounds pretty appropriate for an implosion. I'm not suggesting you just take the whole building and do a simple shatter, I doubt that'd look very impressive, but you can take the roof for example, or some large sections of some walls, and shatter them so the pieces can be animated to tumble to the ground individually.

Or apply dynamics to the fragments. Select all of them and "Sculpt Polygons Tool" them. Flood fill the objects with a tiny amount of push along normals so each objects gets slightly smaller, and voila, you can now apply rigid body dynamics (have to do the push along normals thing to avoid intersections). Use each fragment as a particle emitter to add dustparticles as they fall if thats your thing. Particles and dynamics in Maya are delightfully marvelous :).

At least I think all that sounds good in theory.. I just wanted to mention it as a possible way to go on your project. Best of luck with it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.