PDA

View Full Version : Full Bus

Marc-OlivierBouchard
07-09-2004, 04:50 AM
MAX6 and MRAY
I'm looking for crits mostly about the inside of the bus where I think the weakness lies. Something aches the eye but I can't put the finger on it. Is he alley too narrow, are the seats to narrow, what else?
Don't be afraid to give the outside a kick too.C:3dsmax6--DÉMO--busrender inside021.jpgC:3dsmax6--DÉMO--PlongeonInside wire.jpgC:3dsmax6--DÉMO--busfront render.jpgC:3dsmax6--DÉMO--busrender back.jpg
C:3dsmax6--DÉMO--busrender side.jpgfile:///C:/3dsmax6/--D%C9MO--/Plongeon/Outside%20wire.jpg

Tahl'eN
07-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Dude, you can't link to images on your computer.

Marc-OlivierBouchard
07-09-2004, 04:24 PM
How do I show my pics then?
Tell me how, I obviously don't know.

Slav
07-09-2004, 08:14 PM
you upload them to an ftp, then you post a link to that ftp on this webpage.

Marc-OlivierBouchard
07-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Ok Here is the link. I hope it is the proper way.
http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=213143#post213143

-Like I said,actual crits please. It is for my demo reel and is my first un-ogarnic model...which means I want to learn

Peter Ryskin
07-10-2004, 09:53 AM
The only crit I have is that the Seats - looks like they're made from hard solid plastic (think Gastank), not squishy bendy plastic around a foam core. I look at it and my back and arse goes "ow".

I've never seen a greyhound bus in person, though, so its just a sense. That and the distinct 1930'es "school bus" (ie elderly & retired) vibe those ultra-straight seats give me- Not even the 1940'es subway carts (and those are basically -wood- including seats) are as unpleasant to sit in as that bus looks *shiver

Buut, do consider it for what its worth, considering I've never set foot in a greyhound bus (and from the looks of it, not a chance I ever will, haha)

Peter Ryskin
07-10-2004, 10:06 AM
http://www.barp.ca/bus/sct/sct912intf.JPG

http://www.greyhoundpetsinc.org/gallery/titanhumor1.jpg

Aaaaaah, soft squishy recliners - thought so !

Marc-OlivierBouchard
07-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Here's the seats whom I've tried to make a little softer.
What else should be improved?
www.threedy.com/site/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=214863 (http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=214863)

Demolish
07-15-2004, 01:18 AM
First I must say, WHOA! Awsome Bus!
The seats are much better with smooth, but there is only one thing:

The wheel !

That is the only thing that botters me, the cirles are cool, I dont like that square holding the circles in the middle. Why dont you make one like that one from Peter picture ? That wheel looks cool.

Ok, hope it was helpful

Peter Ryskin
07-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Looks a great deal more sittable !

In my opinion - depending on where you want to take the model - you should add in at least 2 cuts to the shoulder of the driver's seat, its too obvious at the moment.

There's not a lot of the stationary I'd expect to see in a bus - emergency glass breakers, baggage straps (if present in that model), racks with shedule pamphlets & other various stuff - as Demolish said, thats a rather "private car" type of steering wheel, you'd expect it to be more like a large vehicle wheel (ie, more horizontal), as you can put more force into it (Not to mention that it leaves room for your donut-eating, coffee-gulping, cigarette-smoking outrageously obese 400+ pound driver) - Exposed ends on smallish metal bars normally have a cap, plastic or round metal to cut down on insurance claims, I mean reduce risk of injury. If possible, legs are kept below/away from the area that it supports, to minimize traffic impact (people and baggage getting caught on, stumbling on everything that protrudes).

In terms of texturing/shading, the instrument panel's bumpmap is too strong/too coarsely detailed - Its extremely rare to find white plastic used for wheels, apart from maybe some 50'es jobs - I think the reflection in the windows could do with some work, they're too bright, right now it looks like there's an actual bus standing on the other side, looking through slightly frosted windows - In the window-frames you'd expect to be able to see the sealant from the window (dark-ish stripe) - the metal on the frames looks like it needs more polygons to key off light properly, right now its telltale lowish poly - if its chrome, so be it, I'd expect a brushed finish (but that ofcourse can vary - just very hard to keep it appetizable, with hundreds of greasy palms all over the place every day) on the metal bars.

Light wise, I'd suggest trying another setup - right now the shadow lines make it very easy to pinpoint the main source of light, its less than a bus lengths away, and to boot, its lower than the bus's roof (ie a garage or some such) - try GI or the like, eventually.

A great bus none-the-less, so keep up the good work, I'd say !

Marc-OlivierBouchard
07-19-2004, 04:28 AM
Thank you Peter. Great review. Very helpful.
Here's an updated model, adjusted some textures, smoothed the drivers seat, fixed the steering. I'll surely work on adding more stationnary.
This being my first complex model detailed crits like yours are more than welcomed.

http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=218112

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.