PDA

View Full Version : Inside LightWave [8] Book

Insider
07-09-2004, 03:30 AM
Quite a few people have emailed about the release of my new book, "Inside LightWave [8]." Just to let you know if you're interested, it's now shipping from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735713685/qid%3D1074965039/sr%3D2-1/danablandotcom/102-0669281-5996903), Safe Harbor Computers (http://sharbor.com/products/SAMN4000016.html), and others. It was ranked #9 on the Amazon best seller list today.

Thank you.

Stand and Fight
03-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi Dan!

Your book is great, and it is definitely the source I turn to when I have questions regarding Lightwave's most recent incarnation. However, I am on chapter 12 and I'm stumped. I'm relatively new to the program -- about 6 months experience. I cannot get the Corvette backdrops to match in all viewports; that is, they match in the TL and BL viewports with a size of 8 m, but the the BR will not match no matter what I do. Help!!

Thanks,

Jay

Insider
03-19-2005, 02:18 AM
Hi - thanks for the note.

I'm not sure if those supplied images are all exact - that might be the problem. Even so, what you can do is build a box as a reference, and try using automatic size. From there, you can tweak the settings for that individual backdrop.

Stand and Fight
03-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Hi - thanks for the note.

I'm not sure if those supplied images are all exact - that might be the problem. Even so, what you can do is build a box as a reference, and try using automatic size. From there, you can tweak the settings for that individual backdrop.

I'll be sure to give that a try. I'm heading out to buy your Tips and Tricks book right now. (Have to drive 80 miles because I live in Jokelahoma... But I am sure it's worth the trip!)

Have a great weekend,
J.

Insider
03-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Good deal -
make sure you get the right book - "LightWave 8 Killer Tips" is the one that I co-authored with Randy Sharp. No tricks in our title :)

Spacemanbob
04-11-2005, 05:29 PM
I know I am a little late on joining the bandwagon for Lightwave 8, but should I get the inside LW 8 Book. Or am I late again and is a new version of Lightwave coming out next month. :)

Insider
04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
As far as LightWave releases, you'll need to ask NewTek about that. But I don't think there's anything significant (version 9 for example) coming out anytime soon. And, Inside LightWave 8 will be around for a while. I'm not writing an Inside 9.

Stand and Fight
04-11-2005, 09:47 PM
I highly recommend that you get the book. I've found it to be very helpful in getting me up to speed on Lightwave 8. I don't think that there is a better title out there for Lightwave to tell you the truth.

MiWi Graphics
05-10-2005, 05:56 AM
Hey Dan,

As long as you're posting... So I'm working through your book (ILW8) and I was wondering if you would consider me anal or utilizing resources if I am photoshoping the book photos to use as backgrounds? I have been doing it in order to line up my points as I follow along with your tutorials - currently working on the giraffe. Great book BTW. I am having sort of a love hate relationship with the whole thing right now because every time I try to line up the book images with my model in progress, I cannot seem to get things to line up. I wouldn't be soo worried about it except I am doing a tutorial and would like it to match up. If I were modeling my own object I would be more "free". Anyway, thanks for the book!!!

Graphically - Mike

Insider
05-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Mike, not quite sure what you're saying - but it sounds like you're manipulating the images in Photoshop before using them as background references? There's nothing wrong with that. Remember, the photos in a backdrop are simply that - references. Because we used just snapshots of the cover model, they're not exact. Nothing wrong with that because you can use them to get a general starting point, and go from there. Don't worry about being completely exact. The goal is to understand the process, technique and tools.

dbigers
05-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey Dan. I am a little late to the party as well. I am just about to upgrade to 8 with the special deal that Newtek has right now. I purchased the Inside Lightwave 7 book a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I like your writing style, easy to follow and understand. I often find myself reffering to it and the manual for reference.

That version along with Dave Jerrard's work in LW Applied have really helped me a lot. I look forward to getting the upgrade and your "new" book. Though I know you make money from your books, I still want to thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Arkitectural
05-25-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't know how much this program can stand it on the market as a highend 3d application.
Lots of people that modelling in particular takes much more time and effort with Lightwave than any other application.
Alias are seriously enhancing their software, also softimage has made a huge leap and is proving itself, not to mention the great 3ds max of Discreet.
Is it true that Lightwave is starting to become an old program? Newtek doesn't seem to fulfill any new enhancements - except very very few - since lightwave 6
Few plugins are being embedded in what they call it "lightwave 8" and 8.5, etc..

I discussed this issue with few animators, they think that lightwave script has become real old, and needs to be reweritten from scratch (the modo experience is such a great proof)

hairandom
06-07-2005, 11:08 AM
hi dan,i'm learning insideLW8 , it's a useful book , i learn more from it .
i'm in china,few people use LW here ,but it's real usefully, i leaned it a month ago .
we company now use LW to finish a TV play than named "7 swordsmans come down from TIANSHAN", and i want to made some essences of our product as a tutorials .
we decide to teach LW's application in TV play.
I hope you can come china one day.:)

wish you be a friend , my email:hairandom@yahoo.com.cn

R-6
06-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Arkitectural (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=155480) vbmenu_register("postmenu_2323939", true); how does anything that you posted have to do with this subject??
Didn't realize this was a "Let's bag Lightwave post" :rolleyes:

Your first Statement "I don't know how much this program can stand it on the market as a highend 3d application." Should read "I don't know Anything about this program,so ignore everything I have to say".

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2005, 11:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.