PDA

View Full Version : modelling for animation

ninjaboy
07-08-2004, 09:10 PM
hey everyone, whats up?

just trying to get some advice on modelling for animation purposes. theres lots of great models out there, but im trying to come up with something simple, but really great for animating. any sort of mesh reference would be great, and/or character designs. i have to admit, after watching spiderman 2, thats all i can think about...anyways, any help would be great!
thanks
ninjaboy

gurubvin
07-12-2004, 03:20 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1115&page

there are many meshes available there. u should be able to pick one to rig up and animate from those.

if not 3dtotal.com has a few.

-rvin

oshiroii
07-12-2004, 04:02 PM
you want to model it your self right? Not download it? Just wanne be sure before I'll post a half page thread (in which I'm really good :wip: )

DaddyMack
07-12-2004, 10:37 PM
if you're gunna model it yourself and you're in a hurry to get animating, make sure all your deformation areas (shoulder, knee, elbow etc) are minimalist, have a look at keith langos' lunch animation...Or if you wanna spend ages modelling to get something more realistic ala spidey then be prepared to spend ages rigging, texturing etc etc etc
It's all about workflow I reckon
just ask yourself how long would I like to spend on this before I actually start animating...days-weeks-months or years
ggod luck ninjaboy

oshiroii
07-12-2004, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=sumdumguy]if you're gunna model it yourself and you're in a hurry to get animating, make sure all your deformation areas (shoulder, knee, elbow etc) are minimalist, have a look at keith langos' lunch animation...
ggod luck ninjaboy[/QUOTE

For good deformation, you'll need a lot of edges on the area that's deforming to get a better result when animating the deformation. When riggin, you can even add deformers like a latice or a wrap to even improve the deformation. I've done some stuff with minimal edges at critique places and that just sucked. The shoulder is like the super hard deformation area, I just had 3 edges from the neck to the upper arm and it deformed like total evil. So my charactes usually have at least 5 to 6 edges at places like elbows, knees etc. What's your opinion about that sumdumguy? Maybe i could learn something :hmm:

If you're in a hurry and don't really want to experience the modeling and rigging stage, I'd say you'd download a free model, like IKJoe or package man. These are all properly rigged and ready to animate, that'll do your animatio more good than just building some stuff up in 2 days. :D

oshiroii
07-13-2004, 02:32 PM
gurubvin, I've check out your link, I might want to use some models. I really dig the Noodle model. You do need to rigg 'm all, but I don't mind :D The models are great, well I'm off rigging. :thumbsup:

ninjaboy
07-14-2004, 12:59 AM
thanks alot guys. thats some good help. i trying out a few things, but ive found that its pretty hard having a cartoony style, and be realistic. ill post what ive started as soon as possbile, and maybe you guys can tell me what you think,

thanks alot
ninjna

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.