PDA

View Full Version : different material on the same polygon

sooon
07-08-2004, 03:56 PM
how can i going to put 2 different material on to the same part of the body.

imagine i have a ball with some pattern on it. and the base colour of the ball is glossy and the pattern is not(basically is 2 different materials in different defuse and specularity).

I know in 3ds Max we can make a material to have multiple materials link to it. then you just assign some masking and UV. but I am not so sure that lw can let us do tat.

how do you genius got this done??

thanks in advance:)

NanoGator
07-08-2004, 04:14 PM
I think I'm having a little bit of difficulty understanding specifically what you want to do. But I can give you a nudge in the right direction. LW doesn't do multiple materials per poly, but it does allow infinite layering of images sort of like Photoshop. With the right alpha channels, I believe you can accomplish this effect.

sooon
07-08-2004, 04:27 PM
ok, maybe i give a better analogy:

imagine i have a t shirt with a decal design imprinted on it. the t shirt is mat looking but the decal is high reflective.

i understand that we can have multiple layer in texture but that dun allow use to have mutiple specularity or multiple reflective.

or even layered texture can achieve that?? correct me if i m wrong.

pixelranger
07-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Well, using the shader called Surface Mixer you can blend between several materials ("surfaces" in lw lingo). But like Nanogator said, the best thing is to layer your texture layers and mix between them using layer opacity, overlay modes and alpha layers.
This is possible, in fact it's common workflow, in every channel in the Surface editor.
I think its much easier than in Max.

TheFreak
07-08-2004, 04:36 PM
I don't know much about texturing but would it not be possible to add a texture map to the Spec or Gloss field to define the amount of spec and gloss on the object?

Now if this was based on the original texture map assigned to the object then it would make the shine shine and the dull dull

I could be wrong, tried a couple of tests but i am low on time to really give it a go

if you get no answers by the time i get a chance to look at it i will give it a go

Cheers

angus1965
07-08-2004, 04:39 PM
ok, maybe i give a better analogy:

imagine i have a t shirt with a decal design imprinted on it. the t shirt is mat looking but the decal is high reflective.

i understand that we can have multiple layer in texture but that dun allow use to have mutiple specularity or multiple reflective.

or even layered texture can achieve that?? correct me if i m wrong.
Yes - The multiple layering does allow you to do this.

You have to use alpha maps to define the areas in each of the channels - color, diffuse, speculatiry, reflectivity, and even bump.

sooon
07-08-2004, 11:47 PM
hmm...

ok, now i sort o funderstand what you guys trying to tell me. let me try it out again using layers.

thanks man:)

Finkster
07-09-2004, 03:54 AM
You want to have control similar to this example, right?
http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v196/cmoloney/Pics/FlowerSphere_layers.jpg

Just set up your textures similar to the layer shown. Where the alpha mask is black it will allow the previous layer to show through. This can be used to control any attribute, specular, gloss, colour, diffuse, bump etc. You can also use as many layers and combinations of alpha masks as you need.
For simplicity, just copy the alpha layer from attribute to attribute, so that it will be the same for each. Remember, you don't have to use images as alphas, any procedural will work and gradients are often the most powerful of all.

It works pretty much the way you described it in MAX, the difference being that the different materials are within the same texture.

Hope it works out.:thumbsup:

sooon
07-09-2004, 05:05 AM
haha! that is exactly what i need. thanks man. i m a happy man today.

will show the result after i done my texture tonite.:)

pixelranger
07-09-2004, 07:12 AM
And also remember, that the alpha layer acts only as an alpha to the layer right under it in the layer stack. So if you have several layers witch are using the same alpha layer, you have to place a copy of the alpha layer over each layer you want it to affect.

Good luck.

btw, Nice reply, Finkster!

sooon
07-12-2004, 01:11 AM
guys,

got my map done up. that is really a cool thread finster. thanks!

to see my character, goto this link:

www.sooonism.com/burnfinal.jpg

thanks to you too pixelranger. your tip is the time saver:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.