PDA

View Full Version : messiah:studio2 and messiah:animate5 AVAILABLE NOW!

fwtep
07-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Yes! We're happy to announce the immediate release of a MAJOR upgrade to messiah:studio and messiah:animate. There are details on the web site (with more coming soon). For all messiah:studio owners, this is a FREE upgrade. For messiah:animate users the upgrade is on sale until August 8, 2004.

We're working on a demo, and we'll let you know when it's ready.

http://www.projectmessiah.com (http://www.projectmessiah.com/)

Enjoy!

Fred

dfaris
07-07-2004, 06:25 PM
WHOOOO HOOOOOO! I just downloaded the new 2.0. Cant wait to start playing. You guys rock!

GCL
07-07-2004, 06:39 PM
That's what I was afraid of, paying for an upgrade. Purchased animate 4 around first of the year and got to shell out now $200. Would have been nice to offer a free upgrade (1year or less) on recent puchases. Quite a few plugin vendors have such policy, Deep Hemisphere, etc. Studio users have the opportunity to upgrade at no charge. Been waiting for the shoe to drop and asking on this forum if upgrade to be free or a nominal charge. I guess ex-messiah users got out before value of software dropped.

tuna
07-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Hurrar!!

Downloading NOW!

Shame i'm on 56k. I have to wait for 61Mb download :(

tjnyc
07-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Sweet! I thought it was going to be another month. I'm drooling already.

Nando
07-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Double W00T!

Julez4001
07-07-2004, 07:19 PM
. Studio users have the opportunity to upgrade at no charge. .
This is in part, because Studio has been constantly in a completing process.
Animate been finished for years.

GCL
07-07-2004, 07:25 PM
This is in part, because Studio has been constantly in a completing process.
Animate been finished for years.
I know there's been talk on the Studio front for some time. I know users have been looking for enhancement to animate but golly $200 for the luxury. I thought at least there would have been some grace period or some sliding scale on the upgrade pricing. I know I won't be able to afford anytime soon this version. Bummer !

kvernon
07-07-2004, 08:25 PM
so lemme ponder the simple life for a moment.

Since the new features/ improvements to pmG product lines (studio user here), has the layout itself changed for setup and animating? I noticed some comment about intuitive setup on the features list.

Did messiah:develop make the cut too?

P.S. And thanks for hear us gripe and complain, yet love your amazing software pmG! :D

Julez4001
07-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Let me tell th einterface for animate is the same and not.

Rightclicking ont he wold view (window with all the meshes) not gives up a mini windows that you gonna constantly be using as you animate.
Grouping and posing is super nice. Right click ..bam!

Mirror per axis. Lots of little stuff.

the new hide function is great because it hides everything u don't want.

http://www.flarenova.com/newmsx.jpg

kvernon
07-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Wow,

Mucho thanks julez,

I'll have to dl it and try it with a current scene... Do you know if they added buffer types to the renderer?

In version 1.5 they had the following

color
alpha
depth

do you know if they added spec, diffuse, mirror, etc...?

Thanks,
Kelly

lmilton
07-07-2004, 09:16 PM
so lemme ponder the simple life for a moment.

Since the new features/ improvements to pmG product lines (studio user here), has the layout itself changed for setup and animating? I noticed some comment about intuitive setup on the features list.

Did messiah:develop make the cut too?
While the program may *look* the same, you'll discover as you work with it that it's definately *not* the same. There have been important improvements and enhancements to setup (e.g. New Item, Bulge, AutoRig2, etc.), but the most important features come in terms of animation workflow. Features like Animate Immediate, Slider pinning, Custom lists, Pose system, enhanced DopeSheet, powerful OnionSkin, etc. are fantastic for workflow.

Since you're a studio user and should have all that info if you downloaded version2, I'm betting that you're asking because the new features list is too overwhelming to get a handle on what's important to you. However, just give just give those features that I mentioned a shot. If you get lost, just use the new Search feature in the docs;)

No messiah:develop in this round. That will come in a mantenance patch. For now, we focused on the most critical elements: animation, rendering, API/SDK, and workflow.

P.S. And thanks for hear us gripe and complain, yet love your amazing software pmG! :D
:cool:

-lyle

lmilton
07-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Let me tell th einterface for animate is the same and not.

Rightclicking ont he wold view (window with all the meshes) not gives up a mini windows that you gonna constantly be using as you animate.
Grouping and posing is super nice. Right click ..bam!

Mirror per axis. Lots of little stuff.

the new hide function is great because it hides everything u don't want.

http://www.flarenova.com/newmsx.jpg
Yes, the new custom Item List feature [read:Groups] is very cool, but my personal favorite along with that is the worldview filter feature. This will either bypass or ghost items that are hidden in the current Item List. This is great when used with Armatures to isolate characters:D

-lyle

kvernon
07-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Lyle thanks as well!

It does sound like a huge step, I'm dling as fast as I can! :D

So what about the other part of render? COuld you fill me in on this?

color
alpha
depth

Have you all added any of the following?

spec
diffuse
mirror, etc...?

thanks,
-kelly

lmilton
07-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Lyle thanks as well!

It does sound like a huge step, I'm dling as fast as I can! :D

So what about the other part of render? COuld you fill me in on this?

color
alpha
depth

Have you all added any of the following?

spec
diffuse
mirror, etc...?

thanks,
-kelly
We haven't added any additional buffers yet, but it's on the List. The most critical element to work out is keeping it consistent even when using a Custom Material (you'll find out more about that as you explore). In any case, we'll keep you posted.

Having said that, this should be easy to simmulate. It involves applying materials to LightMasters and the main RenderGroup. It would then just be a matter of using expressions/sliders to control the rendering. But you're not quite ready for that yet; you need to start working with the new version first:D

Keep us posted on your progress.

-lyle

MoodyB
07-07-2004, 09:36 PM
:bounce: Excellent :bounce:

Thank god for 3mbit broadband :)

kvernon
07-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Lyle,

kew and thanks for your time. I know yer a supa busy man! :) I'm almost done w/ the download and can't wait to dive in.

That addition marking menu you two talked about seems really kew. I'm a little lost at the actual implimentation of the hide feature, but the idea is there in my mind (I never played with that back in the project:messiah days).

HURRY HURRY HURRY *thins about download*
Kelly

Stoehr
07-07-2004, 09:58 PM
I'm so torn. TO have such beautiful software.

fwtep
07-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Kelly, to see the new Hide stuff (Item List Filtering), try this simple example:

1) Load a few objects, or just press Add a few times on the Add Items block on File tab.

2) Use multi-select to select a couple of them (but not all).

3) Right-click on that selection in the Item List and you'll see a context menu pop into view. Select Group--> New Group.

4) In the New Group pop-up, give a name to the group (or use the default) and press OK.

You'll see that group is now highlighted in green (which can, of course, be changed).

5) Click on the bar that is at the top of the Item List; the one that says "All Items." That will show you the current filtering options. At the bottm you'll see the group you made. Select that.

Now the only thing that's visible in the item list are things in that Group! You can have as many groups as you want, and items can be in more than one group.

From that right-click context menu you can also do things like add and remove items from groups. Not to sound like a late-night paid programming commercial, but it's a really easy, useful and powerful system.

Fred

kvernon
07-07-2004, 10:20 PM
holy bajesus!! :D That's awesome!! Now why was that put in there? :D Ok, if I had the pmG box I'd hug it (but not in a sexual way!) :P It would be like one of those my buddy and me toys. Ok ok, I never had one of those, I was more of a transformers guy, but you get the picture; V2 is just awesome! ;)

By the way, Fred your docs are awesome too! I was flipping through them and went to the particle tutorial. When I read what you put for "further" I was rolling on the floor laughing! How you impliemtned it was great! Thanks for the added comedy!

Laters,
Kelly

gameboy
07-08-2004, 09:48 AM
This might seem like a bone-headed question :D , but are the rendering feature enhancements like sub-pixel displacement and normal mapping included in the DirectX files that can be exported from messiah? (I'm wondering whether to upgrade to animate 5.0 or step up to studio 2.0).

Also, have the crashing issues with ATI Radeon drivers been solved? I know the ATI Catalyst 4.2 drivers were reasonably stable with messiah:animate, but subsequent versions (at least up to Catalyst version 4.6) are not. :sad:

At any rate, this is great news! :applause: :thumbsup: I can't wait to try out the new stuff, especially the DirectX Export! I just need some help deciding what to upgrade to!

lmilton
07-08-2004, 04:38 PM
This might seem like a bone-headed question :D , but are the rendering feature enhancements like sub-pixel displacement and normal mapping included in the DirectX files that can be exported from messiah? (I'm wondering whether to upgrade to animate 5.0 or step up to studio 2.0).
We haven't completed the texture export just yet, it's in progress. So you really can't go wrong with the studio update, especially with the studio upgrade special.

Also, have the crashing issues with ATI Radeon drivers been solved? I know the ATI Catalyst 4.2 drivers were reasonably stable with messiah:animate, but subsequent versions (at least up to Catalyst version 4.6) are not. :sad:
I'm unaware of any changes that would have addressed any ATI crashing. But now that the releases are out, focusing on any OpenGL issues have a high priority. In the meantime, it's a good idea to post ATI related issues in the pmGmessiah yahoo group. Some users may be able to offer suggestions.

At any rate, this is great news! :applause: :thumbsup: I can't wait to try out the new stuff, especially the DirectX Export! I just need some help deciding what to upgrade to!
I hope I was helpful, then:)

Much thanx for your support,

-lyle

tjnyc
07-08-2004, 04:42 PM
We haven't completed the texture export just yet, it's in progress. So you really can't go wrong with the studio update, especially with the studio upgrade special.

Lyle,

Would a texture baking tool be made available by any chance? I would love to bake and reuse GI within my scene without having to rerender GI everytime.

Cheers and thanks for the great update,

lmilton
07-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Lyle,

Would a texture baking tool be made available by any chance? I would love to bake and reuse GI within my scene without having to rerender GI everytime.

Cheers and thanks for the great update,
We've already had discussions about it, so it's on the List. And if it's on the List, you know we'll address it. The only thing I can't do is promise a timeline. But when there is something to report, I definately will.

Glad you like the update:)

-lyle

Miyazaki
07-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Don`t want to turn this into a flame war, but after looking at the features Pmg has integrated within the last months with just a handfull programmers and seeing what NT did after a long dry spell, I don`t understand what the hell is wrong with NT?

AlexK
07-09-2004, 05:11 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is NT?

Dennik
07-09-2004, 05:24 AM
NewTek

/me trying to find something to make the message at least 10 characters long.
/me can't find anything.
/me goes to sleep

AlexK
07-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Of course, I see.

OZI_Jason
07-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Hi Fred,

Great news re Taron being officially added to the PMG team. Might seem to be an obvious question but what will Taron's primary role be in the team?

I'm to busy at present to check out all the goodies in the upgrade, but from what i have seen so far i like it.

I exported Tia's head animation to Direct x and was impressed to see 'muscle bones' working. Beats doing morphs. One of my staff could'nt get LW 'muscle bones' to export to his 3d engine. He's even keener to learn messiah now.

Cheers J

Sil3
07-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi Fred,

Great news re Taron being officially added to the PMG team. Might seem to be an obvious question but what will Taron's primary role be in the team?

Probably is the lucky one that can play with the cool new features (and add great advise) before us poor mortals even dream what´s going on :p

Wegg
07-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Don`t want to turn this into a flame war, but after looking at the features Pmg has integrated within the last months with just a handfull programmers and seeing what NT did after a long dry spell, I don`t understand what the hell is wrong with NT?
Nothing is wrong with NT. They implemented a whole slew of new features in hard body dynamics, modeling and workflow. Just as worthy of an update number as 6.5 -> 7 was. It took em a while but I think a lot of that had to do with their main outsourced programming team spontaneously combusting.

Newtek is one of pMG's best plugin developers. . . Along with Max, Maya, C4D. . . <wink>

Man it feels good to be using Messiah right now. . .

/me pats his dongle.

tuna
07-09-2004, 05:52 PM
/me pats his dongle.
I beg your pardon?
:P

EDDIEthePIRATE
07-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Can I use Normal Maps in M.S.2's renderer ???????
Also, Why can "t I download files from your Yahoo Groups site??

P.S. The new release looks great!!!

Wegg
07-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Yes you can use Normal maps.

I don't know why you can't download the files.

dfaris
07-12-2004, 03:17 PM
For anyone that wants to see some test renders with Messiah 2.o and ZBrush
working together here is a link. Works pretty darn well if you ask me.

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=016381

chikega
07-12-2004, 06:36 PM
This was posted earlier on Pixologic forum showing a synopsis of the process using displacement mapping:

The zombie model was made in Silo and then rendered in messiah:studio 2 beta.

http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Silo/zomb_ZB2_messiah2w.jpg
http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Silo/zomb_ZB2_messiah2m.jpg
http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Silo/zomb_ZB2_messiah2f.jpg

lmilton
07-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Cool progression, Gary. The final looks more like an oil painting than a rendering:thumbsup:

-lyle

EDDIEthePIRATE
07-13-2004, 02:35 AM
I would be interested in seeing a sample of a pmG scene using normal maps AND 16 bit Displacement maps. Where could I find a sample to download? Also can you use a bump map while using the normal and displacement maps.

eddie

OZI_Jason
07-13-2004, 05:21 AM
See this thread (Subpixeldisplacement Example) by Thomas:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=154616

Includes project file and 16-bit map.

Hope its what you are after.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.