PDA

View Full Version : Starting 3d modeling

Jeffie
07-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Hi

I am a total newb at 3d modeling and I was looking for advice on how to start. I just have a little experience with 3dsmax (I get the chance to play through a few tutorials)

Which Program is the best (and affordable) to start?
Does someone that learns a special program (like 3dsmax or maya) get specialized or can a pro jump around between programs?

Ray_kun
07-08-2004, 02:47 AM
well im no pro but have been doing 3d as a hobby for a while...
anyhow back to your Qs....to me the most affordable program is a free one :D ...wings3d and blender is 2 good free programs that im using right now...wings is a excellent polymodelling prog and blender is a good all in one package (much like 3ds max..modelling, texturing, animation..hell blender has a game engine)...there are a few more free programs but i prefer these two....
from what i can gather, most pros have vast knowledge of a number of programs...but of course, like all of us there are at least one that they prefer most.
so, my advice to you is try out as many progs as u can...most of the have fully functional demos and some are free....heres a few to get u started
3ds max (obviously u r familiar with this), maya, xsi, lightwave, bryce, blender (free), wings3d (free), anim8or (free)....

hope this helps and good luck

captain chapo
07-08-2004, 08:23 AM
well there are a lot of free programs out there that you can use to learn...maya has a free version Maya personal learning edition, and then there are programs like wings 3d/blender 3d, and anim8or that are completely free. there is a thread some where with a list of the free ones...i'll try and find it and give you a link.

ok here it is, check it out :

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44452

I imagine that a pro would be able to navigate a number of programs with ease...but i'm not a pro so i can't verify that statement.

Jeffie
07-08-2004, 08:54 AM
I have downloaded maya PLE but this error won´t let me install it (error 1607 or something)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.