PDA

View Full Version : Character : ayumi, Forest Ninja

Marsfyre
07-07-2004, 01:50 PM
I posted this in the gallery thread and didn't get any crits at all. I guess that was just the wrong place. Anyway, this took me roughly 4 hours. tools used were paint shop pro 8, phoot shop cs, small wacom tablet, and digital camera + one small reference picture that i looked at while doing the sketch.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/892/anatomy1ayumidfinalCj.th.jpg (http://img29.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img29&image=anatomy1ayumidfinalCj.jpg)

weasel.acuh5o
07-08-2004, 12:38 AM
well, since no one takes the first shot I'm gonna break the ice... fasten your seatbelts.

the light is coming from the upper left corner, yet there are quite some shadows missing on the hair, the neck... and the shadows of the materials are too different (dark parts of the robe are way darker than the ones on the skin).

the shape of the nose is wrong... I know it's not the easiest part to draw in this perspective, but try taking a look at some reference. her right hip looks pretty weird, her left lower right arm is too short.

I like the use of textures, though the coloring of the skin is just too different... I would change either one or the other. the armor seems to be made out of metal (judging from the texture and the speculars), so the zippers aren't quite what I expected... besides, no one could move with these armorplates (if made from metal). the net does not suit the flow of the body.

uh, I'll stop here. there are more things I don't like, but I think those will do for a start. take a close look at each part of you image and you'll probably notice. and please don't think I'm a jerk for sounding harsh... after all, this is the focused critique forum.

Marsfyre
07-08-2004, 02:04 AM
Thank you very much for the critique so far! I definatly agree with your crits and particularly am glad that you pointed out the errors in my shading( I will definatly put more concentration into this on my next finished peice) As for the "Metal" the zippers are there too imply that it isn't actually metal. I was tihnking alognt he lines of "some kind of fake , metal looking, metal hard , but still bendy material from the future" Its really an excuse because I designed this character before I had put any thought into things like that(4 or 5 years ago) and the zippers are a later addition hehe.

"uh, I'll stop here. there are more things I don't like, but I think those will do for a start." I would really like to hear more. Also i ahve read the specific rules to this forum more carefully and noticed I am breaking them by not having a step by step set of images. should I post the initial sketch?

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.