PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Run cycle ISO criticism + comments

stzaske
07-07-2004, 08:41 AM
I'd like constructive criticism on this little run cycle I threw together. It's one of the first run cycles I've attempted. I know of some things I can do to make it better, but in my attempt to make the scene more dynamic, I've sped up the run substantially. Now I'm running out of frames between poses. Any tricks out there to work around this?

Right click the link below and select "Save target as..."

http://steve.zaske.com/files/run2.avi

Thanks kindly, -=STZ=-

gryn
07-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Looks good, the poses are well done and the wind up works nicley. Try killing one of your keyframes on the left leg and arm in the begining of the animation when he turns and raises his leg, it should help it look more fluid.

The hold/pause just before he takes off looks great and gives everything a chance to stop before moving into the next motion.

As far as making him seem like he's running faster you can try increasing the "stride" or maybe give him a little bounce or "gallop" . Using less keyframes in certain areas I think is supposed to help in terms of speeding things up.

You could probably try altering the pose by making him lean forward more and tilting the head down, making him more horizontal and possibly at times even getting both feet off the ground. That might make him look more like he's sprinting, whereas now it looks like a steady run or jog.

Tom N.
07-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Hey stzaske, looks pretty good. My only crit so far is that he does this big wind up, but then he just sorta does a tiny little hop into the start of his run. In my head I imagine after such a wind up, he would leap kinda far into the first stride. Other than that I think the rest looks good.

-Tom N.

P.S. Nice avatar lol.. "this is greaaaaaat! yaaaay" *dance*

stzaske
07-13-2004, 06:20 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback. Yes, I am a bit disappointed by my anti-climatic take off. I'll try to make some changes, and post an update.

-=STZ=-

stzaske
07-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Okay, here is a 2nd attempt, trying to make the take off a bit more dynamic.

http://steve.zaske.com/files/run3.mov

-=STZ=-

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.