PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to create some special effect using only primitive types...

KeKe4ever
07-04-2004, 11:43 PM
hi, I'm having trouble of some question......the question from my course..

My task is required to be able to simulate the fire, explosion, sparkle effects by just using simply primitives, but not the particle systems that has been done in Houdini...

In other words, I want to make the effect by just using expression language and primitives such as polygon or sphere to make the special effects above, but all tutorials I can find is using the particle system provided in the houdini or the iso surface which is not allowed in my assignment.....

could any "expert" help me out on this?.. http://odforce.net/forum/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Great thanx!

Fex
07-06-2004, 08:44 PM
hi,
dont know why you dislike particles ( even in SOPs you have a simple particle
emiter)... if you want it the hard way create something like a point cloud
move the points by hand or use noise in a point SOP e.g., make all the different kinds of states you need for animation (like swirl to the right, explode first step..) then use a blend SOP to interpolate between the states.
Animate the blend weights and noise values of your states.

Use delete SOP with keep points flag on and then with copy SOP for every point a sphere a elephant whatever :)
its quite hard to mimic natural dynamics with such modelling techniques...
have fun :bounce:

dmaas
07-10-2004, 09:41 AM
When faking "volumetric" effects like smoke and fire with surfaces, the shader is vitally important. You can make convincing smoke/clouds/fire with a couple of overlapping spheres if you put some work into the shader. (like making it fall off to transparent at the edges, and randomizing the colors a bit)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.