PDA

View Full Version : motion blur in shake

abarman
07-04-2004, 09:40 PM
i wanted to add motion blur as postproduction effect in shake...is it possible? do i need to download any plugin?
i work in linux and mac btw.

thanks

ABARMAN

beej
07-05-2004, 01:39 AM
you can do a basic motion blur (along one vector) using a move 2d node. place the node in your tree below the footage you want to blur. animate the move 2d to follow the same path as the object in your footage (view the node above it when doing this). then turn on motion blur & select 'use reference'. its been a while since ive done this but i think you need to make sure your shutter timing & shutter offset are the opposite of each other, (so 0.5. & -0.5 or something) anyway, play with that & see if it might work for what you are doing. make sure you animate a frame ahead & behind the duration of your footage so you get blur on the first & last frames...

good luck

alexx
07-05-2004, 08:12 AM
for generally applying motion blur to any of your 3d work in post, i would recommend "real smart motion blur".

it got quite cheap (around a 100 bucks as i remember) and for most cases you dont have to render any motion blur in 3D at all..

cheers

alexx

Aneks
07-06-2004, 02:27 AM
we are doing a lot of stuff using the lm_2dmv shader for mental ray and the nd_idblur macro from highend2d.com. bascially this macro does the same thing as the Re:vision fx smoothkit or reelsmart except its free.

Workflow is like this :

render colour passes without motion blur (in this case from with mental ray from maya) but any 3d program can output motion vector data. then render a seperate 'motion vector' pass using la Maison shader.

load both passes in shake and then use ndo_idblur to tweak blur ammount and motion samples.

I noticed that Re:vision had released ver3 of RSMB for shake this week and it contains one or two tutorials for doing exactly this.

abarman
07-06-2004, 05:38 PM
thanks for the reply guys!

Aneks, sorry for my ignorance, but where can i get this la maison shader?

thanks

ABARMAN

Aneks
07-06-2004, 11:52 PM
nyet problemski ,

here is the original softimage xsi shader and tutorial :

http://www.alamaison.fr/3d/lm_2DMV/lm_2DMV.htm

here is the maya recompile of the shaders :

http://www.impresszio.hu/szabolcs/

and again for maya 6:

http://www.impresszio.hu/szabolcs/MentalRay/Maya6Includes.htm

there is a pretty good thread in maya rendering on cgtalk about their use/implemenatation

enjoy

alexx
07-08-2004, 01:24 PM
just by chance: is there someone who ever wrote that shader for the maya renderer?

that would be neat

cheers

alexx

beaker
07-08-2004, 05:44 PM
just by chance: is there someone who ever wrote that shader for the maya renderer?

that would be neat

cheers

alexx
You don't need to for the maya renderer. RSMB reads in motion vectors from maya's 2d motion blur. Just check the "keep motion vectors" box in the globals.

alexx
07-09-2004, 07:19 AM
You don't need to for the maya renderer. RSMB reads in motion vectors from maya's 2d motion blur. Just check the "keep motion vectors" box in the globals.
i knew it was a bad idea, that my boss got the rsmb license on his computer only :/

thanx a lot beaker - i was not aware of that.

cheers

alexx

pierrejasmin
07-15-2004, 12:07 AM
You don't need to for the maya renderer. RSMB reads in motion vectors from maya's 2d motion blur. Just check the "keep motion vectors" box in the globals.um! Have you been able to do that? I can't find a way direct way to extract the XY channels of the IFF file in Shake? Working on it. Also FYI, for objects not covering the full image, we assume the Alpha of the Motion Vectors file is Coverage. So the alpha of the RGB for transparency and the Alpha of the Motion Vectors for coverage, this so the motion blur spills correctly outside the object. This might mean that some node would need to preceed the Motion Vectors input so all Z = 0 (I guess) or if not available all A of RGBA = 0 (not as accurate) is set to 0 coverage and the rest to 1.0 .

Pierre
jasmin@revisionfx.com
RE:Vision Effects

Aneks
07-15-2004, 07:08 AM
had a quick look at rsmb for shake today seems a lot more advanced than the macro I have been using. haven't had much of a chance to look at using it and th mental ray shader but i am sure it will work well.

Pierre don't know how accurate this is but a friend told me that maya's renderer stores this data in a way he referred to as 'vector chunks' and basically told me it would be increadibly painful for him to implement this workflow in shake using maya's 'keep motion vectors' option. If you can manage it kudos to you my man !!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.