PDA

View Full Version : Problem with rotoscoped images

jettocrack
07-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi all!

I'm using rotoscopy images as a reference to modeling. However, the viewport usable/visible area gets clipped to the image dimensions, which is pretty annoying, specially when you are using the image only for certain area of your model and its aspect ratio pretty differs from viewport's.

Also, once locked the image, if y use Shit-A to fit all viewports, the image gets unlocked and losses its original position, which makes mandatory panning and zooming manually, and use 'a' for each of the others viewports.

Is there any solution to that? I'm a Lightwave user, perhaps that can help...

thanks in advance!

ThE_JacO
07-04-2004, 01:09 PM
what about trying to click the little lense icon on top of the veiwport?
also thumbing the manual's pages would help.

last but not least, for references in modeling why don't you use mapped planes?

jettocrack
07-04-2004, 03:48 PM
thanks for the answer

Of course the lens buttons is switched on. The problem is that using 'a' seems to override that setting, switching it off. I have read all the documentation regarding to rotoscopy and found no answer.

The other big deal is viewport visible area clipping in order to match image's aspect ratio, can't imagine a solution to that. The problem is that I come from Lightwave, and all this worked pretty different there.

Mapped planes is really a good solution, but employing reference images is much simpler (or should be). I have used them along on Lightwave.

ThE_JacO
07-04-2004, 04:16 PM
the fundamental difference is that rotoscope in XSI is supposed to be used for background plates, action matching and all this kind of stuff.
for reference you are better off using mapped planes, with XSI's hybrid display, and eventually with realtime shaders, you can push that miles further then you could in LW (where most people find the display options often too limiting to use them properly).

also the problem with fit all, frame and the such is that they can affect your lenses and other things that will not necessarily affect rotoscope the way you 'd expect.

you are better off using the memo cams on top for that if you really want to stick to rotoscopy.

jettocrack
07-04-2004, 07:51 PM
wow, thanks for such a comprensive response, all is just clear for now on.

I can see that XSI's community is getting as great as Lightwave's! Hope I will be able to contribute to it soon.

thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.