PDA

View Full Version : Smartskin tutorial format?

digitalberet
07-26-2002, 02:37 AM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let all you know that I am getting ready to make the smartskin tutorial, and I wanted to let you choose which format you would prefer having it in. You have two choices. One being, a video tutorial, like the last one, except in quicktime format. Number two option is an html tutorial. Each have there advantages and disadvantages. A html page would require less bandwidth, so more people can access it without having to worry about not being able to get into the site. Also, it is easier to bridge the language gap, through the use of translators, and such, by using html. Of course, videos can be more easy to follow, but I'll leave the deciding up to you. Let me know what you think. Hope you all have a good one!

Regards,
Joel D.

isnowboard
07-26-2002, 02:51 AM
Video tutorial. Last was one good. Hope you keep making them!

mjm
07-26-2002, 02:53 AM
I would say Quicktime. Just feels nicer and gives a real idiot-proof method of showing off a technique. With HTML, oftentimes people get frustrated because they can't find that one panel/input that is so integral to the entire tutorial :) If you'd like, I could mirror the file on some ISP webspace (not sure about transfer limits...we'll see when it maxes out, heh) for certain, and perhaps even another temp server if needed. Just PM me.

Thanks, Joel, for the great stuff :). I'm looking forward to the tutorial. Any hints/clues about the overall technique? From the render at the end of arm_tut, my guess would be either MD or a musclebone/weightmap setup.

Best
-Marc

nx01
07-26-2002, 04:34 AM
Video!

My Fault
07-26-2002, 04:43 AM
I thought the video format of your previous tutorial worked real well so I would say video as well.

nitsuj
07-26-2002, 05:38 AM
definitely. it is so educational seeing it done in real time (not accelerated) and the commentary helps a lot.

Eugeny
07-26-2002, 06:39 AM
You have two choices. One being, a video tutorial, like the last one, except in quicktime format.
Why not? Its mach better then avi - u can always stop and play, or play frame by frame, or even backward...

LNT
07-26-2002, 06:46 AM
quicktime or HTML? :shame:

DivX please! :applause:

thanks in advance!

evenflcw
07-26-2002, 07:46 AM
I find some DivX scroll badly, or maybe it's just my computer(?) I would prefer quicktime aswell.

Jimstein
07-26-2002, 11:19 AM
Digital beret!! :thumbsup: Thanks for translating old high standard A|M techniques to the lightwave world! Very appreciated!!! And I think Video (divX) would be best. (I only experience problems with time elapse jumping through quicktime videos, and I donít want to launch Shake just for watching a quicktime ;))

QuickTime player is ****ed up! The sound is several seconds behind the video and the apple player interface keeps on flickering epileptic. I know itís a problem on my computer so if anyone knows what I am talking about and know what to do? Speak! I have tried reinstalling QuickTime.

Julez4001
07-26-2002, 02:23 PM
I find Soreson Squeeze to give pretty good near Divx Compression for the resolution. Look into it or maybe I can squeeze it for you. It really does wonders!

OH YEAH
WHAT IS SMART SKIN?

dzogchen
07-26-2002, 03:37 PM
If you are talking about smart skin that works like the one in Animation Master, I am getting really excited!:buttrock:

digitalberet
07-26-2002, 10:32 PM
Yep,

The technique requires a little more setting up than in A:M, but it is well worth the effort. In answer to Julez4001, smartskin is a feature in Hash's Animation Master that lets you deform the mesh of an object based on the rotation of a bone. For example, lets say you have an arm and you bend it a the elbow. Well, at some point the geometry of the forearm will intersect with the geometry of the upper arm. With Smartskin you can not only adjust the mesh so it does not intersect anymore, but you can also give the effect of muscles bulging, and skin folding, as the bone rotates. Anyway hope this gives you an idea of what Smartskin is.

By the way, it seems that the majority would like to the video instead of the HTML. No prob. I'll try to have a DivX and Quicktime version. Hope you all have a good weekend, I'll let you know when the tutorial is ready.

Regards,
Joel D.

http://www.digitalberet.com

KOryH
07-27-2002, 02:15 AM
Thanks for sharing.
I look forward to it!

Carm3D
07-28-2002, 01:26 AM
Quicktime v6! (MPEG-4)

SMH
07-28-2002, 03:05 AM
Yep, I totally agree with Carm3D, QT6 would work best. MPEG-4 is probably the most compatible solution. Looking forward to this.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.