PDA

View Full Version : Learning Crack Effect...

CobraX
07-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Hey girls and boys!

I am presently reading "The Art and Science of Digigtal Compositing" and i am wondering about an effect i would really love to achieve correctly.

In the case studies section of the book they are referring to "The X-Files: Fight The Future" movie where at the en dof the movie a part of the arctic is crumbling down. On the ice you can see large cracks appearing, forming progressively.

In the book they are saying that those cracks were created as "3d elements that were genereated from painted designs, and that a procedural animation control system was applied to the cracks, allowing them to grow and expand in a convincing way".

How can i from a painted design creates 3d cracks?!?! I thought about displacement...but it won't "CUT" the ice properly...

And after making those cracks....when saying procedural animation what do they mean?

I hope that this is clear enough...otherwise feel free to ask questions

If could shed some light and enlighten me...please that would be great...and i am sure for more people than just me.

Thanks!

Xavier.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.