PDA

View Full Version : Painting

jud
07-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi folks,

This is my first finished digital painting after a few months on and off practicing with my tablet and pen,I just wanted to paint a face and to play with the light a bit and see what I could do,anyway I would love to hear any comments or critiques any of you may have,weither they be good or bad.
http://uk.geocities.com/morganjudge/download/face.jpg

Paint shop pro 8.10.
2 Layers.
wacom volito.

jud

(http://www.yourimagehost.com/is.php?i=11612&img=portrait.jpg)

Black Angel
07-03-2004, 07:15 PM
nice lighting and contrast. but to much kilting on the forhead

EVIL
07-03-2004, 08:07 PM
The lighting is bad IMO, when you have a spot pointing at your face and light hits one side then it always bounces against various surfaces in the room or area. You’ll never have a complete black shadow when there is a light source around

Always start with a mid tone and work from that. Add highlights and shadow from the mid-tones out and keep painting in the shadows. Even when something is in shadow, you’ll always see it, very subtle but you can see it and therefore you should paint it.

plus subtle is the key in painting (traditional and digital) check up on refrences.. or search for photosgraphs of people who are lit from one side and use that as a guide. and learn from it. the folds in the skin look alot deeper because you use a black shadow.

Light bounces from surface to surface. when you have a red ball on a grey surface and you lit it with a light then the rad ball will cast red reflected light onto the grey surface and visa versa..

I am sure alot of people here can get you alot of stuff on colour and shadow theory

Black Angel
07-03-2004, 10:51 PM
no no. i like works that differ from the mainstream. my criticisms depend on my mood. if the lighting looks like it looks because you were unable to create a better look, sorry but at the moment i like it.
i´ve never said that i´ve no knowledge about lighting...

jud
07-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the comments EVIL and Black Angel I really appreciate your points of view.
I was going for more artistic than realistic and I wanted to dramatically light the face in a way different from the norm,I could have easily painted the other side of the face and then use a continuos low opacity brush to darken the shaded area and you would still be able to see that side of the face,but that was not what I wanted to paint,I was going for something a bit dramatic,with the eye looking to the side for some reason.
But I do hear ya about learning about light and shade,I have lots to learn and can't wait to learn it.
And I hear what you are saying about radiosity and colour bleeding,I will concentrate more on that in my next peice whatever that may be?

Again thanks for the advice and feedback,appreciate it!
And if anyone has anymore comments or crits I would love to hear them.

jud

jud
07-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Sorry for the bump folks,but I would really like some more comments or crits on this.

Thanks,

jud

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.