PDA

View Full Version : Character: Female (First Color Attempt)

BlazeSquall
07-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Ok...

I've been a long time viewer, but this is my first post. :D

It took a lot of courage to do this, because there is so much skill here, most of which I cannot compete with. However, I ultimatly want to better myself as an artist, so what better way than other, more experenced artists, right?

I'm a 17 year old High School senior, studing Computer Networking, CCNA etc. I have no art history, everything is self taught, aside from Highschool art classes, which are more or less a joke, and not for anyone seriously interested in art. At least that has been my experence.

Just as I've had no experence in drawing / inking, my photoshop skills are the same. Just many hours of screwing around, and going for small projects.

The coloring is just that as well, I changed the way I colored it at least four times while doing this. Finding easier and faster ways to create the same look. I think I learned a great deal from this piece, even though, it has many problems, it's really helped.

Drawing, Coloring, and Art in general is a passion, however not something I wish to persue as a career. I am however dedicated, however I lack experenced peers to help me climb.

As far as a critique, I'd really like you guys to rip this apart. Everything from the pose, to the expression, to line art to coloring. Everything. I want to get better, so don't hold back. I know it has problems, many of which I'm aware of, but decided not to correct.

Yes, the upper body did come from a reference, however it was not traced or anything and more or less just a starting point as I often have trouble creating poses myself.

Thanks. (Too lazy to spell check)

http://img73.photobucket.com/albums/v222/BlazeSquall/GirlFinal2.jpg

JARhead
07-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Hey with no experiance its not to shabby . But there are a few things I should point out

The head to me seems a tad to big.

Actually now that I look at it theres not much to point out , except one word "pratice". Im not saying its a horrible picture and you should be ashamed of what youve done no, not by any means.

You have good potential and you can certainly color better then I. But Im sure that with more pratice you will become a lot better. Keep up the good work :D

P.S Dont let anyone advice bring ya down! Just keep it up !

Mr_Zworp
07-02-2004, 10:43 AM
For someone with little experience it definitely isn't bad, but there is certainly enough room for improvement.

- like JARhead said, the head is a tad too big
- where the left arm seems too skinny, the right arm seems too big
- the pose is a bit stiff
- also, the lines seem stiff, not flowing and they could do with some more variation in linewidth

Just as always, practice makes perfect and everybody uses reference material to create their images, so no need to apologise about that. Try to do a lot of quick sketches, that will help in getting better lines and less stiff poses.

Keep it up :thumbsup:

Ilikesoup
07-02-2004, 04:48 PM
High school art classes are a craps shoot. They're great if you've got a good teacher, but otherwise they're either another study hall or a means for students to fling paint at each other. Anyway. . .

There's some really good work here. Your line art is very good, even if you referenced some of it. Great detail in the hair texture and in the folds of her cloak. Also you've chosen good colors for your shadows and highlights.

Your chief flaw is in proportions. Her head and right arm are done to the same scale and look nice. Her left arm is too thin and too long to match the other, and her shoulders are too narrow to realistically support them both.

Best advice, even when drawing from a reference photo, is to block out the structure first before you do anything else. Do the oval for the head, a vertical line for the torso, horizontal (and in most cases parallel) lines for the shoulders and hips, with the arms and legs attached to the end points. Next step is to make the lines into rectangles and circles, giving the figure mass. Following steps are color, then features (eyes, folds, etc.). Shadows and highlights are last. The great thing about Photoshop is that you can put each of these steps on its own separate layer. That way if you mess up on a step you can modify or delete that step without losing all your progress.

Lastly, remember to select a light source and keep it consistent. Everything in line with the light source will be lighter, and everything shielded from the light will be darker. Sometimes I use a ruler to simulate light rays to see if they will make it to a specific detail.

Oh yeah, don't worry about being a newbie or about being self taught. It's all a matter of training your eye to break down a scene, then telling your hand what to do. Everybody learns at a different rate, and most people here will consider your level of experience and threshhold for pain when they make their crits. Most important thing is to keep practicing and to keep challenging yourself. Good luck!

The-13
07-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Only crit is her head looks a little big. Although u may have meant to do that, not sure. But if not I figured I would point it out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.