PDA

View Full Version : Character animation reel

mkt
07-02-2004, 02:48 AM
slice and dice it....

http://miketrujillo.com/animation/mtrujillo_anim.mov

I have some ideas for edits and the sound sucks but take a look...

Levitateme
07-03-2004, 11:01 AM
GREAT. great character animations, they all made me smile. i like your selection of audio tracks you animated to. well if all them animations are done without reference i think thats really good. the only thing i saw sometimes was your movements sometimes seemed to linear, like they got to their keyframe and stopped entirely. just i think on some of the animations some spline tangents. i could be wrong maybe all that was mostly spline, i dunno. but thats just what i saw. great work though.

Garma
07-03-2004, 06:17 PM
heh.. I really enjoyed the godfather part. However, it goes to fast with too many movements. I suggest you take a very close look at the movie, for example:

- when his hand touches his hair it should go very slow to built up tense
- he shouldn't move that much with his hands: it would be best to sit him down and only look down and into the subject's face from time to time, like Michael does (Don Corleones son).

I really enjoyed the rest, great work

mkt
07-07-2004, 04:00 AM
Hey guys, Thanks!!

You say the only thing was movements sometimes seemed to linear, I know its hard to crit details on so much animation but if you can point out even one specific piece or place this happens that would be great. I have seen these so much I am practically blind.

Maybe I could ask everyone which piece is weakest and which is strongest?

RaoUUUL
07-08-2004, 11:06 AM
hey. im working on a new reel myself (first one was really lacking) havent really any skill....so...
comments on your reel first...id like to see the cook first i thought it was your strongest piece. then the one you have as first then the godfather clip then the wall climb then the technical ones the lift then the walk then the one you have as last. and take out the one where he is sitting at the table...boring.

comments on animation...the lift seemed..off..lift something heavy and record it. the one you have as first and the cook seem like the characters actually have character, good job on those. the walk is nice, maybe have different views of it on the screen, side, front etc. godfather seemed stiff and it looked like the guy is a wimpy wuss with his hand movements and whatnot which the man behind the voice clip certainly is not so it doesnt seem right. still the animation flows well there. the guy climbing the wall, isnt in any danger if he falls right? thats the way it seemed, you need anticipation there with every step up make him up on a tall building and have every step mean it, especially that last ledge he gets on. dont do a one leg up on it move have him get on that ledge by getting on his stomach and lifting himself up or make the ledge narrower so when he sidesteps his heels are hanging over the ledge. put him in danger make him wobble a bit. and the last conversation piece i couldnt hear it clean up the the dialogue track and lower the background music and i dont think the punch line delivers there but again the animation flow is alright.

i have read that companies usually dont play sound when watching reels so i dont know if worrying about the sound and that last converstion piece even matters you need to tell the story through the animation.

hoped that helped dude.

Raoul

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.