PDA

View Full Version : First Project Ever

Hettinger
07-02-2004, 02:38 AM
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=15135cQmh&i=11877

Yes, it is a bar of soap. Behold. This was my first attempt at anything in Maya. The texture on the bar of soap is something I made in photoshop (a program I am a little better at). You can be hard on me, I'm used to it.

The goal was to make something photorealistic, but I think it came out pseudo-photorealistic. I think I would have really nailed it if I knew how to do global illumination, but I don't really have a handle on that yet.

Levitateme
07-03-2004, 11:04 AM
its just kinda flat. you should try adding maybe some Depth of field, or try Image based lighting to the scene to give it more varied color variation??? i remember when fight club came out i modeled soap then too...

theledge
07-05-2004, 08:48 AM
if youre looking for photo realism i would start looking into tutorials for mental ray using global illumenation and final gather.

gummiboll
07-05-2004, 03:45 PM
as Levitateme said, it's too flat. Anyways is it supposed to be floating in some water? I see the bubbles, but i dont see the water. You should define the water more or something.

Other then that, its great for being your first project :thumbsup:

Rei Ayanami
07-08-2004, 12:21 AM
the texture and shape are both ok, but its the shaders that are going to be hard to make.

Soap is not particually solid, it is translucent, so you need to increase the translucency a lot. with this, try shining a light directly from the side and getting it to give hlights to the edges of the soap.

give the bubbles on the soap shadows, since they do shadow in real life too. also bring the main lights down a bit, and give the soap some shadow on the side of the dish.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.