PDA

View Full Version : Laptop refresh, regen, repaint issue.

HanDron
07-01-2004, 05:08 PM
I have a new Dell laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, WUXGA screen. I have trouble with the cursor leaving an image behind. For example, If I am using the point tool ( + ) it will leave a "+" image behind when I move the cursor to another location. It will only disappear if I do something that makes the screen refresh, repaint, or regen, whatever it is called, like zoom or scroll the view. If I change the point tool (+) to the polygon tool (x) you will still see the point tool image behind the polygon tool even if I move the polygon tool. It seems I am not getting a refresh. I have the latest ATI driver. Tech Support for Dell said it's a Lightwave issue but I have similar problems with my CAD program as well. In the CAD situation my sketch lines dissappear randomly. I can bring them back by hitting the "force regen key". Any Ideas? Thanks in advance!:)

Para
07-01-2004, 06:13 PM
It's most likely a bug in either LW's OpenGL or ATi's OpenGL implementation. I've been spamming ATi since that bug came to reality (about 6 months ago...at least) but I don't think they're going to fix it anytime soon since ATi is currently completely rewriting their OpenGL drivers to gain more performance. I think all we can do is hope that the bug goes away by itself.

...at least it's not a big annoyance :hmm:

BTW, you can report ATi Catalyst bugs @ http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/index.asp

Rei Ayanami
07-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Do you have the latest version of GL? i think that will help the problem.

HanDron
07-01-2004, 08:27 PM
I downloaded the latest ATI driver from the Dell website but I am not sure what you mean by the latest GL. I am guessing that this is going to be an issue of how ATI uses the openGL format. Thanks for your repies so far. :thumbsup:

Para
07-02-2004, 08:13 AM
I actually recommend that you download latest ATi drivers from ATis homepage, www.ati.com
Installation for laptops may be a bit tricky, so if you don't feel adventurous, just settle with the Dell drivers. Those doesn't "suck" or anything, they're just not the "best". Okay, so if you want to install ATi Catalysts to a laptop, there's two possible ways the process will go.
Way 1: Just install over the old Dell drivers. If you are successful, be happy.
Way 2: Remove Dell display drivers, reboot, don't let WinXP install default drivers (hit Cancel/Abort to everything) and install Catalysts. If it works, you can be happy.

On some cases the Catalysts won't install to laptops at all, I don't know why :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.