PDA

View Full Version : Hanrahan-Krueger shader and 3ds max

ReneAlex
07-25-2002, 06:34 PM
I'm wondering about the capabilities of the current 3ds max shaders...

and the capability of simulates the translucency of the skin is one that seems to be out of reach for those outside the big studios...

I've used fR but there a limitations ( or seems to me ) because the S3 feature dont works in layers (like dermis, epidermis and bone), so if you try to apply S3 to let say a hand its seems to be a ballon or a hollow shell... i dont know if these ara the right words... but you may get the idea...

so the point is, how to make the 3 layers of material and get the beatiful "light" that adds the S3 in the flesh of humans?....

I try to use the composite mat type but is not a problem of the layers itseft. its about how they absorbs or / and refract the light...

so digging in the tech pappers in the libraryof my old school I find a name Hanrahan-Krueger, and a S3 shader that works with layers... then I google it ... and i find a this link you may be see it Translucency and Sub-Surface Scattering

and well I'm just trying to start a fire...

let talk about it...

as soon I get somethink new I let you know

FatAssasin
07-25-2002, 06:55 PM
When you talk about finalRender have the limitation of not working in layers and using S3 on a hand and it coming out looking like a shell, I wonder did the model you were using it have bone geometry inside it? I haven't tried it myself, but it seems like no renderer would ever look right in that situation unless there were actual layers in the model. For example, finalRender isn't going to know how to make a hand look realistic using S3 unless the model is set up just like a real hand with bones inside of it.

Might be something worth playing around with. Thaks for bringing up the subject and keep us informed of what you find out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.