PDA

View Full Version : How would you make monster heads?

Darkmist
06-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Well I wanted to start getting into this, but its not somehting you can jump right into. If I started I'd like to make heads of dragons, orcs, goblins, monsters, ...etc. There are many head tutorials but I don't know how you would make a non oval shaped head(ex dragon, orc). If you were to do this what program would you use, and what method. If you know of a tutorial do list. Thanks for your time

Dark-Angel
06-30-2004, 11:39 PM
2 best tut i found that helps me alot on box modeling, that about any 3d programe can do is http://www.secondreality.ch/ , and this one is a video http://www.3dluvr.com/ic-art/ look in the work section. use theses tutorial and try to adapte them to what your doing. as for pointers and how to start im not that good to hehehe :)

Darkmist
07-01-2004, 06:07 AM
Thank you dark angel, sorry its taking so long for me to post but these admins don't trust me yet =P. Anyways thanks for the links, I've seen the first one before but it looks very complicated. Which proggys do you think I should get? My friend bought 3dsmax6 but it was too hard for him to use, so hes letting me borrow it for the time. Should I try getting my hands on maya or any other program? To anyone else please share your insight, info, tutorials, ....etf any thing you can provide. I've set my mind on learning this, and I will not give up =P

pnoland
07-01-2004, 04:57 PM
That's a question that really can't be answered for you by any user. It's really a personal preference so I recomend downloading all of the demos/PLE's (personal learning editions) and decide which one works best for you. Maya, Softimage, and Houdini offer personal learning editions which is the full program with watermarks in some work areas and your renders are limited in size and have a water mark. Houdini's Apprentice edition is a nice once for the fact that its watermark is so small you forget it's there and you can render up to 640x480 which is large enough to show nice detail in your render with a small lower corner watermark. Maya's watermark is annoying and the render size is pretty low but if you want to eventually purchase a program try 'em all. Cinema 4D has a demo version on their site (www.maxon.net) too. I'd say find a neutral tutorial (the first head tut posted will do) and try to complete it in all of the programs you download and see which one works for you.

Another option would be to use a program just for modeling, then use a stand alone renderer. Silo, and wings3d are great modeling programs (Silo is 109 USD and Wings3d is free). You may even find that you can still use Maya, Softimage..etc alont with SIlo/Wings. Blender3D is another free program that is a nice modeling, animation, and rendering package you should check out also. www.blender3d.com www.elysiun.com (community site)

Just remember it's up to you and none of us can say which one program is better then the other (with out this thread ending up in a flame war and being locked as a result)

Good luck and have fun!
pnoland

Xtrude
07-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Go to this thread page, and scroll down to Southern's post of his dinasour, and you will find a cool graphic break down of his procedure to model a dino..

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=118429&page=7&pp=15

He started this dino with simple box modeling, and this type of modeling can be done in most any app which has decent modeling tools...

though I might add that the right side pics are the box modeling results taken into ZB for all the extra bumps and stuff you see on the dino's head...

but yea, the first couple of pics along the left side will get ya going for sure :)

Darkmist
07-01-2004, 06:48 PM
@pnoland (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=55821): Thank you for the program recommendations. So far 3d max has felt very confusing, and all the tutorials I've tried aren’t detailed enough for the noobie. Ie http://www.secondreality.ch/ (http://www.secondreality.ch/) tutorials says " now delete the one half of the sphere and instance-mirror the other side " Now how the .... Am I supposed to do that? I searched forums for instance mirror(I'm not at all lazy) and to my luck all the good solutions are for the maya program. So I found some posts for 3dmax and they just say use symmetry, or clone and use instance but when i do that and everything they suggest I'm left still with one half(not the full thing). They say use mirror but are not detailed in any way so I'm stuck messing around with stuff I don't know how to use. They give the solution but do net list the sub options to click once u click mirror...etc So I gave up on that tutorial on the 4th step. I'll tell you what If ever I learn this stuff I"LL make the most detailed tutorial out....

@Xtrude: I've seen the pictures, tried to re enact them, But I don't even know how to bend the polys n such. I did step 1. That kinda things the thing I wanna do, but being a beginner I can't create that by just looking at it from a one stance view, and without any idea on how to mold it accordingly. Simply said I need something with accurate instruction(for 3d max), which you would think would be the simplest thing, but its not =P

Waiting for something that’s useful enough to use…….I thank you all for your time vbmenu_register("postmenu_1421892", true);

pnoland
07-01-2004, 09:40 PM
That tutorial is a bit advanced for a beginer to start out with. I'm not a Max user so I can't say in detail how it's symetry mode is but in Silo for that step in the tutoial I just have to cut the object in half, delte the side you don't want and then create an instance mirror to the corrosponding side that needs to be mirrored. Really starting out by modeling something organic makes things seem impossible. A good human(like) model is one of the hardest things to model since you know what it -should- look like but can't quite get it there. Try simple objects around you...a cup of coffee, your monitor, a mouse things of that nature. It'll help you understand the modeling concepts a bit more then you can tackle a head. I've been doing CG for almost a year now and human modeling is still tough for me (good ones at least!).

If 3d studio max seems confusing to you then Maya will be a frightening expericne. :P Just the basic interface has tons of buttons and it'll confuse the crap outta you. At least it did for me! 3d studio and Cinema 4D have the easiest to navigate UI's I've come across in a 3d app. Really it just takes time to get used to things. Go pick up a book on 3d studio max, there are a lot of great ones out there at barns & noble (or what ever book store is near you). They'll at least go over the -basics- of the program before throwing something complex at you.

X, that pic of Southern's workflow is nice but he used Clay for it. And from the buzz around that mysterious program it sounds like it's really easy to use. I'm sure it has many advantages over max modeling...well that's not fair for me to say but that's what I'm thinking. :) I like his workflow shots of head modeling using SIlo personally -> http://www.southerngfx.co.uk/general/tutorials/21-silohead/tutorial.htm

pnoland

Dark-Angel
07-01-2004, 10:03 PM
darkmist, check your pm

Dark-Angel
07-01-2004, 10:10 PM
forgot to add, 3dsmax isnt that difficult to use. just need to read a bunch of tutorial on modeling, and get a graps on how to use the methods mentioned in the tutorial to do other things. if you download the video, and find a program to slow it down you can see how to mirror what your doing in 3dsmax.

if you use xsi, its simple, you just go i think its... "my comptuer isnt infront of me so not sure if what i say is right" edit / duplicate / clone , then you just translate it by -1. but dont start with xsi because lots of stuff still make me go *tf is going on not working like i want it to. but im learning to.

Darkmist
07-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Yea that videos very fast, I slowed it down to .5 speed on windows media player and its still to fast. If only that guy made it a clear tutorial =(. Very confused with what I'm going to do now....as for the proggy I'ma stay with 3d max, i believe you guys.

Dark-Angel
07-02-2004, 01:35 PM
use a program off the internet to slow it down, to about 10-12 fps and you will see about every thing he does, just stop the video to do it step by step.

Darkmist
07-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey Dark thanks for the tip. I've downloaded several players from download.com and plugins. The only good one everytime I'd hit pause and play it would freez for 45 secs. Do you know any good progs that could help me out?

Dark-Angel
07-04-2004, 07:02 PM
this program is not bad http://www.virtualdub.org/ be sure that you put a compression on, or els you will end up with a movie over 2gigs big.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.