PDA

View Full Version : texture 1 side of a polly

Dan Wade
07-25-2002, 09:28 AM
I have a flat polly. I want to texture on one side and not the other. is there a way to do this without making a box with a polly on both sides?

JoeRedstall
07-25-2002, 10:47 AM
You copy your mesh and invert the normals. Then texture one mesh and leave the other untextured. If you go into your render dialogue, and under Optimisation choose Single Face instead of double then it should render without any intersecting artifacts.

There's probably a better way to do this though.....

Joe

belly80naz
07-26-2002, 01:19 PM
Or, you can select the poligons that you want to texturize and create a new material for its and attach a texture for this material.
In this mode XSI create a new cluster for selected polys and create a new material for it.:thumbsup:

Atyss
07-26-2002, 02:31 PM
If I were you I wouldn't use materials on clusters, unless the cluster bug is fixed in XSI v3. The problem is that materials on clusters don't render when using custom passes. You are better to put everything at the same level and blend your different parts with the Render Tree and the Texture Editor.

Perhaps this bug is fixed in XSI 3.0, it was not mentioned in the features list.

To create a different material for the back, just put a Front_Back node between the surface shader node (Phong, Blinn, etc) and the Material node. Then connect the surface shader in the Front input, and a different Tree in the Back input to create a different material for the back.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.