PDA

View Full Version : Marbles in a bottle

MellowFellon
06-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Hi, I need some help choosing which road to take. I have to do a little animation of cola bottle filled with marbles. As the bottle gets turnes upside down, a few marbles spill out. As it gets shaken, more spill out. My thinking behind this animation was that i could use motiondesigner, for collision between the marbles and the bottle. Or could i use particles with collision detection and fxlinker. Am i going the wrong way?:surprised

HowardM
06-29-2004, 08:58 PM
you could do either, but Id go for HardFX!
I bet it will look really cool!
:D

MellowFellon
06-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Yeay I'll try hardFx, just downloaded some samples and a tut from newtek.com
In your experience, have you found the new dynamics to be a step up from Motion Designer?
Cheers

uncon
06-29-2004, 11:22 PM
I've found that the new dynamics are more of a step to the side than a step up. They do some cool stuff, like the hardFX is perfect for what you are doing but they are kinda limited to cube and sphere shapes. I think the interface is better for simple scenes, but I liked (or got used to) the Motion designer interface more. Motion designer is also a little more flexable in that it can be used to simulate hard bodies better that the new dynamics.

HowardM
06-29-2004, 11:25 PM
hmmm well i think the new Cloth can still be tweaked to be hard, like MD...
i think its a step up, but was expecting an elevator right to the penthouse...

it is much easier to set things up, although i hate the bug not allowing multiple panels open at once now...theres too many clicks now...and of course no cut/paste!
doh!

uncon
06-29-2004, 11:31 PM
I tried for a while to get cloth to stay rigid and it was taking so long to calculate I just gave up and used the ol classic MD. I could get better, faster calculations with it. I think I need to get used to the new way things are done with it. I find it a little confusing how to make one part of a mesh fixed or use weightmaps. There is definately more in there and when I get used to it I might consider it a step up.

MellowFellon
07-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Hard Fx works great. I does seem a tad on the simple side, but then i dont know much about these dynamics. Lets say i were to replace the marbles with oblongs like pills,rice, sweets, then what? I does seem that only simple shapes will suffice.

If you have any ideas please help. Should i try ol Motion des?

HowardM
07-02-2004, 09:18 PM
well again you could tweak ClothFX or MD to be hard, and use any shape and get some ok results...
or
you could also futz with hardFX and collision both on the same object, but then you would have to make EVERY pill, or shape a seperate layer...

MellowFellon
07-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks Howard, I think I took on a too great a project to do. My knowledge of LW is limited. Using it for five months. Thanks for the advice.

allaboutkeys
07-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Here's a short animation I did with marbles and HardFX:

rolling_320x240_2.avi (http://www.log2e.com/files/rolling_320x240_2.avi)

HowardM
07-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks Howard, I think I took on a too great a project to do. My knowledge of LW is limited. Using it for five months. Thanks for the advice.
What?! I cant see!?

Well, hmmm if you need, you could hire me to save you?
:p

MellowFellon
07-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Hmm, well I dont think i can afford that:) but i need help. Mabey we can discuss it? I have ordered my Lw book but I need it now not in three weeks.Would you be willing to lend a hand if i share my idea? Then we could share i
the glory!:buttrock: And take over the world!:twisted:

MellowFellon
07-06-2004, 06:37 AM
H, can i PM you? Your folder is full.:)

MellowFellon
07-06-2004, 06:45 AM
allaboutkeys cool animation. Have you tried anything with Soft Fx? I'm having a little trouble with it. Hard fx works easier for me. So i opted out of Soft and started using ClothFx. Clothfx seems to be slower?

allaboutkeys
07-06-2004, 12:09 PM
allaboutkeys cool animation. Have you tried anything with Soft Fx? I'm having a little trouble with it. Hard fx works easier for me. So i opted out of Soft and started using ClothFx. Clothfx seems to be slower?

No, I haven't tried Soft FX so far. As for the calculation time, it really depends on the complexity of the scene and what you are trying to do. So it's difficult to compare the speed of Hard FX and Cloth FX.

BTW, here's an animation I did with Cloth FX:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=151713

HowardM
07-06-2004, 04:59 PM
H, can i PM you? Your folder is full.:)
email me at margolius@msn.com

MellowFellon
07-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Yes thank you I did.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.