PDA

View Full Version : character designs - stylized

Grafx
06-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Hello,

been trying to improve on the concepting skills lately. Here are a couple of stylized character concepts. The first concept is simply a basketball player taken from an earlier sketch and the second is a alien samurai character, hence the elongated proportions.

-Brian

http://www.vfs.com/~briansum/images/pics/pics_con_13.jpg

http://www.vfs.com/~briansum/images/pics/pics_con_15.jpg

marque-pierre
06-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Great work. Looks awesome! I do miss more of a face or a larger head on the samurai though. He looks like he has been beheaded as of now. There is just something there... What do you use? Photoshop?

Predator|NL
06-29-2004, 11:50 AM
That is just great, only the head looks weird.
Maybe you could make it a little bit bigger or something?
I don`t know what else it should be.
But the rest if him is superb!!

theCloudmover
06-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Wierd and unique. Some nice work.

turx
06-29-2004, 05:25 PM
great style! the only thing i could say is the face of basketball player. it's hard to see the eye and ear.

RainAndRedGlass
06-29-2004, 11:11 PM
wicked cool stuff.

Grafx
06-30-2004, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Both were drawn on sketchpad, traced over using regular copy paper, scanned and then colored in photoshop.

-Brian

r3studios
06-30-2004, 09:51 AM
the samurai is great! leave it like it is, got its own style in the way it is. great work.

cranial-bore
06-30-2004, 12:52 PM
yeah very good work. The characters have a lot of erm, character. There is a strong sense of what they are like coming through which is very impressive for single images to be able to convey.

I also really like you're crisp line and shading style.
In regard to the alien samuri, personally I think the head could be a little bigger, but generally very strong work for both of them.

*edit*
I just went to your website -- I thought your style looked somewhat familiar and I rembered when I got there. I downloaded your demo reel ages ago and it was one of the best of my hard drive for ages. You're character styling survives the animation process very well indeed. Good to be reminded.

slime
06-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Super! Especially the second one :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.