PDA

View Full Version : game modeling/normal/sisplacement maps question

metronaut
06-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Anyone know?

- When you make your high poly model with which to extract a normal map for a low poly model, can you use displacement mapping on th high res model?

sumpm1
06-29-2004, 11:56 AM
I don't think so. It also depends on what softare you plan on using to generate the map. I have used XSI and the ati mapper modded from Mike B. They allow you to use a bump map on the high res mesh, but I doubt you would be able to use a displacement map in any software that generates normal maps. This would be a more advanced feature, and normal maps are still in beta form basically, maybe once they get some support you could have this option. But it seems to me that the generating software needs the actual vertex positions to create the normals, and the displacement maps only are used at render time.

peanut
06-29-2004, 06:47 PM
- When you make your high poly model with which to extract a normal map for a low poly model, can you use displacement mapping on th high res model?

You can use displacement mapping on a high rez model. But you wont gain anything by baking the normal maps from the hirez to map the hirez.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.