PDA

View Full Version : 3Dsmax 5 Radiosity

Russo
07-25-2002, 04:45 AM
Anybody here 've tested it? Let me know what you think :)

PsychoMax
07-25-2002, 08:07 AM
I only have max 4, i want number 5 that would be so wicked...DAMN I WANT IT NOW.:surprised :thumbsdow :annoyed: :annoyed:

Russo
07-25-2002, 10:08 AM
I've tested the Luna here and.. holy crap dude, the animation tools is the best!! best!!... the lightning I didn't like it very much, the radiosity doesn't seems to be very impressive... or maybe I didn't tested correctly :p

actarus6
07-25-2002, 06:22 PM
What kind of engine did you try in MAX5 the GI or Radiosity?
or all?
Light tracer (GI ENGINE) seem very good for me but you can't save the solution like in FR or in Vray. Maybe in the final version I used LUNA L058

Radiosity engine is the same of VIZ4 good quality but slow for me.

But I must try well this.

Bye from Stefano

ITALIA

Russo
07-25-2002, 07:08 PM
I've used Radiosity :rolleyes:

actarus6
07-26-2002, 12:16 AM
you will be enthusiast

Russo
08-25-2002, 12:13 AM
I've tested the final version here... cool... anybody tested it?

gaggle
08-25-2002, 12:06 PM
Most impressive of all seems to be that the Light Tracer makes a non-flickering GI solution. I haven't tested it myself, but the guy at work who plays with that stuff was very happy to report that he hadn't gotten any flickering in his test-animations. Which is more than he could say of finalRender and Vray.

So far I've gathered MAX5 doesn't do fast lighting, using radiosity or the light tracer, and those two may not neccessairly be the most advanced renderes on the market either. But it's stable. Non-flickering GI (hooraay), easy baking to textures, and complete control over how objects, textures, etc affects the lighting.

So far, I like what I've heard of this new rendere stuff :)

CHRiTTeR
08-28-2002, 04:06 PM
Also the advanced lighting material is very handy ! :p

Potato77
09-01-2002, 03:41 PM
i have it......its awesome thats all i can say.

actarus6
09-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Some1 know how to get specular highlight in VIZ4?
After the rad computation the scanline render doesn't produce specular highlights on the objects.
It seems the rad problems typical of lightscape in previsualization rad.
What can I do to get the specular highlights on the material?

Please help me

Bye from Stefano

ErickG
09-09-2002, 07:53 AM
The radiosity features are very cool for quick solutions. This fits well into a pipeline doing very quick lighting for interior scenes. It looks like they have included all of the lightscape technology directly into max.

Lightscape was a bit rough around the edges but it produced some great results. This version is much better. It handles scenes much better and update in the viewport in realtime. You can see what the lighting is going to look like before you render and move around the scene.

It supports accurate photometric lights which gives you real world lights right in max.

It also has a regathering feature that combines the light tracer with the radiosity plugin which can produce some very nice results.

It is not as advanced as Brazil (no photon maps, caustics, etc) but it is damn nice for day to day stuff. The GI renderer is clean on animations but you have to watch out for the adaptive settings and this can cause artifacts depending on how you use it. Overall I think Discreet did a great job with the new Advanced lighting. It does not replace the need for 3rd party renderes for all features but you can get a lot more done now inside of max.

-Erick

robingfx
09-29-2002, 06:05 AM
I have used 5's radiosity a little, but I am not totally satisfied. It's a great improvement from what they used to have, but it doesn't match up to lightscapes radiosity. Lightscape had it's problems, but it's still much better than max 5. Like when you want to create a solution for the radiosity, MAX just subdivides the whole scene evenly and it totally kills the computer. Lightscape at least refined certain areas that needed more detail.

I haven't played around much with the light tracer but it seems good. It takes forever to render though since you have to recalculate every frame.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.