PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Announces Linux Network Renderer for LightWave 3D®

slugo3
07-25-2002, 03:52 AM
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/07-23-02-c.html

Nice! :beer:
maybe a linux port of lightwave is in the works?

from the announcment

“NewTek’s release of a Linux render engine is awesome news,” said Jack “Deuce” Bennett II of Creative Imagineering. “Other high-end renderers charge per CPU for rendering licenses, and can cost up to $800,000 for a render farm of just 200 processors. LightWave’s renderer stands up in speed, power and quality to any of those, and the network render nodes don’t cost extra, they come with the package. Choosing LightWave is a no-brainer for any size shop.”

for $800,000 it would be way cheaper to setup a server farm, load them all up with Slackware and do all your stuff inhouse

Psyhke
07-25-2002, 03:59 AM
That is pretty cool.

When I get to the level of needing extra rendering power, I can see building myself a nice little personal render farm using good price-point CPUs and Linux.

:drool:

KayosIII
07-25-2002, 11:22 AM
Note to anyone wanting to set up a linux renderfarm such as this...

AFAIK you only need a barebones setup consisting of Mobo, Processor, Ram, Hdd, And Network Card..... Since the system can be remotely administered this is all you need I wish I had more Info but I don't....

Psyhke
07-25-2002, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right, regarding bare bones.

I've built a lot of systems in the past, but never tried building a bare-bones system into a generic 1U rack case (or with Linux for that matter). That's what I would like to do. Buy a mini sized server rack, and stack a few home-built, bare-bones, linux based, 1U rack-mounted systems for render nodes. Then plug it into my network. Sweetness. :airguitar

Yiorgz
07-26-2002, 01:38 AM
You know what else...

Stick enough ram in the things and you don't even need a HD in them. You can get ROMs for network cards to make them boot off a central server.

OK, it's a little cheaper and does introduce 1 new point of failure. So for a big farm, probably not a good idea. Hard drives are cheap anyway.. what am I saying..

:)

slugo3
07-26-2002, 02:05 AM
great idea Yiorgz.
There are a bunch of "floppy" linux distributions (fit on one or a few floppys and dont require a harddrive). if you dont even want a floppy drive then I think the network card needs to support bootp.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.