PDA

View Full Version : Enviroment: Cityscape

Swoop
06-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Well i figured i might as well subject this image to the harsh critique of cgtalk. I rarely post here because i never figured i had anything worth posting, but i got into this enviroment painting during the weekend and now i really like working on it. anyways it's a WIP So keep in mind it's not finished please.
Also i'm pretty new at this, so i know there are some empty areas...

Anways i think i spent like 3 hours so far total on this peice, and here it is so far :D

http://www.reflection-design.dk/temp/city3_13.jpg

Swoop
06-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Added some more lights to the building in specific

http://www.reflection-design.dk/temp/city3_14.jpg

kraal
06-27-2004, 09:16 PM
seems a lot like you are using the techniques used in the ryan church dvd's the only thing missing is some of the basic structuring behind buildings and drawing in general. not saying anything is wrong with ryan church but you have to realize he has a lot of traditional drawing background to support his images .... i would suggest going to the library or bookstore and look for bnooks on drawing or painting buildings/landscapes .....

Swoop
06-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Thx.. im first now getting used to working this way. Havent really painted digitally much, so this is pretty much my first real peice hehe :D

I know alot of the stuff need work, but i'm also assuming this is a trade that will come with experience and practice hehe :D So far i'm just trying to focus on learning the techniques, getting some good results that can motivate me to keep it up ;) nothing is worse that trying and not getting anywhere :D hehe :D

Ilikesoup
06-28-2004, 05:08 AM
I assume that this is a futuristic city because of the scale of the buildings -- the skyline is so high! Also I'm curious about the high bridge at center that has no connecting roads. Colors are well chosen and individual buildings look good, and I like the silhouette at left. The obstructed view gives a touch of realism. It will be fun to see this develop.

Swoop
06-28-2004, 08:09 AM
Thx. Good point about the middle bridge, so i think i'm gonna give it a bridge that continues down along the perspective to vanishing. That way i can get some more buildings in there along the way :D THX! :D

Also i know the skyline is high, i kinda designed it that way. I wanted the scale to be really really really massive hehe :D

Swoop
06-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Well i think i'm almost done here. I added an extra bridge, and alot of small time details in the middleground. Nothing spectatular.

I think im gonna do something with that foreground blob next, if not at least give it some reflections or semething, and then call it quits on this peice. I want to do some more :D

Anyways enough babble.. here it is so far :D

http://www.reflection-design.dk/temp/city3_19.jpg
And i updated with some more details. Especially the right hand corner which got cars, on the street, and some actual street lamps :D

http://www.reflection-design.dk/temp/city3_20.jpg

BlueMonK
06-28-2004, 11:09 AM
i love it, i think it looks great! maybe it could use more detail...

did you perhaps follow a tutorial to make this picture?
good luck in finishing the picture

kraal
06-28-2004, 01:55 PM
looking good but the buildings look a little too organic and not like man made structures more like eroded elements......

Ilikesoup
06-28-2004, 02:06 PM
The horizontal line for the bridge should be thicker -- from this POV you would be able to see the underside which adds to its girth. I like how it draws your eye across the picture though. Nice work.

bonkanailios
06-29-2004, 11:40 AM
im not the best ever at environmetal drawing, but IMO I think that you could
add alot of depth simply by putting somthing between the silluette and the
rest of your city...
cause right now its sorta going

CLOSE BUILDING TOP!!!!!!!!!!
then
FAR AWAY CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want CLOSE BUILDING TOP
TRASITIONAL OBJECT
FAR AWAY CITY

if this doesnt make sense read my sig, and you will at least understand why
i spout the nonsense that I do :bounce:

Swoop
06-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Thx for the input.
I havent had time to work further on the image since my last post, but i plan to make the black foreground into a balcony with some light source inside the building.
Also the bridge building i will try and get a bit more out, by making the bridge more visible, and adding a support structure to the opposite side of the image.

Theese will however be my final alterations to my image hehe :D I want to get this one finished, and not overwork it :D I want to get more experience with more of theese painting as i loved making this one :D :D :D

Hope to be posting the updated (near final) versino tomorrow :D Now it's sleep hehe ;)

Swoop
06-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Finished image.
Know there are still alot of work that could be done, but i want to move on and make more of theese instead of dwelling on just this one peice :D

Thx for all the help :D

http://www.reflection-design.dk/images/lightndark.jpg

Panupat
07-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Your painting is still failing to demonstrate depth. It is the building in the background that aren't working and here you'll see.

Look to your vanishing point and start looking up ward. See your lower level of background? Their out lines are blur and blend into the next layer and they have a very low contrast. That is what give illusion of something being far. But as you move higher your building become sharper with more contrast until at the top most buildings they are crisp sharp with rim lights and stuff pushing them close to us. You have to lose those contrast. make the farthest building the blurriest and closer color to the sky and you'll get that sense of depth.

Ryan DID explain about environmental fog and creating depth in his DVD, listen carefully, think and use what he said. Don't just look.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.