PDA

View Full Version : Political Collage

Preffered
06-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Hello there, I believe this is my first post here.

I am somewhat new to Graphics, to be honest. Okay, I am very new to graphics, to be completely honest.

I created these two collages today. I would like you to critique them, and tell me what I can keep in mind for future graphics.

Now, keep in mind that this is my first abstract collage.

http://ourworld.cs.com/SltnCraker/PoliticalCollage01.jpg

http://ourworld.cs.com/SltnCraker/PoliticalCollage02.jpg

Well, that's it. I made the cutting and cropping sloppy, to give a gritty, dark feel to an otherwise basic looking graphic.

I implimented 2 main things that most people wouldn't catch. One is a Masonic symbol left of the US flag, the other is the red text to the far left. The text reads "Evil Doers", a phrase Bush coined. I found it quite comical, considering what he has done to America and her troops.
The text is unreadable, intentionally.

Note; I do not intend to flame or argue on my beliefs regarding President Bush. I merely would like constructive critisism on these 2 graphics.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for your critisism.

Pyke
06-27-2004, 10:39 PM
WHERE TO START?

I will not comment on the nature of the collage...but as an 'artistic piece', it comes off as slapped together.

The photo of the eyes is obviously upsampled, and it shows.
The army tanks....same problem. Infact, all of the images come off as looking as tho they were once thumbnails.

Composition wise...well, it lacks any composition. Its hap-hazard. It has no structure, and while that may be what you were going after-it comes off as amaturish.

The cartoon speach bubble looks as tho it was created in MS Paint, and the neon green againsed the purple actually hurts the eyes.

There is to much white.

The one element that I do like is the flag. I think it is poorly executed, but the idea is nice (having a countrys flag transform into what you think the country is).

2 horrible images. Im sorry-but they have no redeming artistic value. The best way to fix them up, is to throw them away and start again.

Preffered
06-28-2004, 02:33 AM
WHERE TO START?

I will not comment on the nature of the collage...but as an 'artistic piece', it comes off as slapped together.

The photo of the eyes is obviously upsampled, and it shows.
The army tanks....same problem. Infact, all of the images come off as looking as tho they were once thumbnails.

Composition wise...well, it lacks any composition. Its hap-hazard. It has no structure, and while that may be what you were going after-it comes off as amaturish.

The cartoon speach bubble looks as tho it was created in MS Paint, and the neon green againsed the purple actually hurts the eyes.

There is to much white.

The one element that I do like is the flag. I think it is poorly executed, but the idea is nice (having a countrys flag transform into what you think the country is).

2 horrible images. Im sorry-but they have no redeming artistic value. The best way to fix them up, is to throw them away and start again.

Thank you for your thoughts and input. It is appreciated.

thephalinx
06-28-2004, 05:22 AM
This is in no way a collage. It is simply some images and ideas placed together poorly.
In a good collage, everything in it has it's own very specific meaning, but also has a very specific relationship to everything around it, whether it be through theory, placement, scale, color, anything. As long as there is logical reasoning behind it.
I suggest first you study how to organize items. How to create hierarchys and relationships. Even if you just start with something such as a simple grid, and what makes it a simple grid. After you understand the basics of organization, you can move onto much more complex ones.

As for white space, there isn't neccisarily too much, but the white space isn't part of the project, it is what the project is pasted onto. A collage can consist of just white space and a single image and be very effective as the white space becomes very clearly apart of the other image and has a relationship to it.

It seems you have clear ideas and reasons behind what you did. Explore more into the whys of those reasons, and create a type of order through that if you can.

You need to dedicate more time to your work also. It is very sloppy and poorly edited. Looks like you tried to do it as fast as you could.

Don't worry though. Sorry for the harsh critique but it'll be good for ya. When I first started, my work was about this quality if not worse, and now I am doing a thesis on this type of stuff. And the more you do this stuff, the better your techniques will be and the more you will understand how to work in the medium.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.