PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 8: Boba Fett - Star Wars

random.hero
06-26-2004, 08:42 PM
hey guys, i know it was the mentioned character, but recently ive been really into star wars for some reason, and it seemed a great thing to do. anyways, ive had lots of exams over the past few weeks, and now im free of school, im going to get back into modelling. anyways, so far ive done the head, chest plate and today i did his jetpack. im late starting, but ive really got nothing to do at the moment, so im going to get stuck in and do my best. ive only posted a render of the jetpack, which is 662 polies, but after a bit of tweaking, ill post the others :)

comments please...

random.hero
06-26-2004, 10:24 PM
as i said, after some tweaks, using a better reference, im happy with the helmet now. heres a pic of it, as well as the chest plate and some more refs.

i know im still a bit rusty, but please comment...

DougG
06-27-2004, 01:34 AM
looks good, how many triangles so far?

Bartek|3D
06-27-2004, 01:41 AM
Cool I'm a huge fan (maybe too huge?), my fav character from SW :)!
Crits:

IMHO the helmet needs more flare. Potentially you could add the side ears instead of just texturing them? Also, the armor is a little off. The upper chest pieces seem too large. If you want some good ref pics, I'm an uber geek that owns fett armor (unpainted still) ;)

Heres my helmet that was cast from an original mould:
http://infiniteloop.xyu.ca/starwars/mystery/helmet.jpg[/url]

And here's some of my armor:
http://infiniteloop.xyu.ca/starwars/mystery/armor.jpg[url="http://infiniteloop.xyu.ca/starwars/armor/1.jpg"] (http://infiniteloop.xyu.ca/starwars/mystery/DSCN4251.JPG)

I have all the parts, so if you need some more pics, lemme know.

Cheers,
Bartek

DougG
06-27-2004, 02:01 AM
haha thats awesome, what are you waitin for, paint it :D

random.hero
06-27-2004, 11:27 AM
thanks for the replies, i was beginning to think i wasnt going to get any.

i know exactly what you mean about the helmet Bartek, i think mines too round still, and needs to be flatter on the sides. if you could take a picture from the top looking directly down, then that would probably help a lot. do you have the backpack, cause i would like to see it from an angle looking diagonally down at the base of the rocket thingy.

for the armour, i was going by the ref pic below, but now from yours, i can see its much flatter, smaller and sits more ontop of the chest, rather than wrapping around it. also, the pic is good reference for the shoulder armour and waist area.

atm the polycount is about 1080, but theres a few places where stripping is in order. thanks a lot guys

PS. its very good to have a huge fan to help me get it right, but you're probably gonna be hard to please :)

*edit* hehe, ive already modified the helmet. i took a lot of the sides off the back, asn that wont be seen so much, and made the front a lot better. as well as making the sides flatter, like i said. tell me what you think :buttrock:

oh yeah, and its got fewer polies than in the first post :)

random.hero
06-27-2004, 02:41 PM
hey again, ive done his gun now, it's the EE3-Blaster Rifle. i found a lot of good ref pics for it, so it should i made it as accurate as possible for the polycount. its 308 polys, which i might lower by taking the scope off, but we'll see.

random.hero
06-27-2004, 02:44 PM
oops, just realised i didnt post any pictures of the new helmet :rolleyes:. here they are...

DougG
06-27-2004, 02:50 PM
the helmet looks good, maybe just bring the two metal ends that attach to the visor in the front in a bit to the center. just slightly, I think its a little too wide. The gun is lookin good so far also.

random.hero
06-27-2004, 07:22 PM
i think its the perspective that makes the centre look wide, when i post the model all together, from further away, look again and if it still looks wrong ill change it.

now, ive modified the chest piece, as well as more tweaking on the helmet and building the waist armour ( very important :rolleyes: ). i was about to start work on the torso, as you can see, i started the neck, but got stuck. i dont know whether the armour ontop of the shoulders, goes all the way round, cause in bartek's armour, is doesnt look like it, but in another pic of mine it looks like it does :shrug:. it could be because he is oftern wearing a short cape.

ill work on something else, and go back to that when i have a solid reply :)

hope you like.

Lekku
06-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Yeah, it looks like the field of view on your camera is giving the helmet a squished effect. You might try posting images from your orthographic views, instead.

random.hero
06-27-2004, 10:48 PM
that last one is orthographic, looks better than the one of the helmet alone dont you think.

PS. nothing to report, im having modelers block. i cant seem to get my head around these gauntlet things :sad:

DougG
06-28-2004, 04:40 PM
ahh no problem, just start on another area if you don't know how to approach that area just yet. Keep going though, before you know it itll be July 4th!

random.hero
06-28-2004, 06:17 PM
yeah, thats just what ive done :thumbsup:, and here is the result...ive done the legs. bearing in mind im really bad at doing organic shapes, i thought they were quite good, but im very open to suggestions, and i have a few ideas of my own to make them better. to me, they look a bit short, and the shape looking from the side on seems odd.

the polycount of everything here is 865, which gives me a total of 1845 so far. thats the jet pack, helmet, radio antenna, gun, chestplate, waist armour and legs...not bad in my eyes.

Bartek|3D
06-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Hey!

I didn't have a chance to reply earlier..sorry :P
The helmet needs alot more flare! And yeah, the vertical slit needs to be thinner. I'll post some ref pics of my stuff later on. If you want a good ref source, here's a HUGE archive of the actual screen used suits at various exhibits: (slow bandwitdh) :(

http://bobafettcdref.cjb.net/

I'll add later,
Cheers,
Bartek

random.hero
06-28-2004, 07:28 PM
ok, ive made some changes to the helmet...again :rolleyes:, and i think its just about right now. ive only added about 40-45 polies to it, but i think its done a lot to 'flare' it up
:buttrock:the only things i think might still need a fiddle is the way the black bit is a bit too rounded at eye level, i might make that straighter, and also, how far back the dents in the cheeks go, like until they are level with the ear.

what you guys think, is it acceptable now :)

Bartek|3D
06-28-2004, 09:16 PM
The shape is great! The only thing you need to change is get rid of most of the flat space at beside the right (silver) earpiece. There should only be a little sticking out. I'm referring to the middle pic.

Also, the right silver earpiece doesn't look like that, the left one does. ;)
Take a look at some of the ref pics I posted in the link. The antenna (rangefinder) has a much different earpiece.

Cheers,
Bartek

random.hero
06-28-2004, 10:23 PM
dude, i know exactly what you mean, but i have to keep within my poly limit, 3k isnt all that much if i want to make the gautlets look good, and make his body.

ill see what i can do, but my main concern is time at the moment. im spedning quite a long time doing the model, and im a real noob when it comes to skinning, so ill take ages...and im going on holiday on the 4th, so i dont have that day to do anything :rolleyes:

...its not looking good for little boba :shrug:

anyways, heres an update, its his...arse :D

random.hero
06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
if anyones still interested, then heres an update of whats going on. i only got up at 1:30pm today :rolleyes:, and did nothing yesterday, but the day beofre that, i unwrapped the jetpack for some reason, and i got started on a skin. heres an update, i dont know how long ive spent on it, and its far from finished, but it looked ok to me, for my 2nd attempt at skinning anything

:buttrock:

*edit* ok, so i had nothing better to do :). i think im pretty much done with that part of the skin. its all covered now, and ive done my best to scratch it up, but not too much, cause the one side is a reflection of the other...it would look crap if both sides had the same 'big dent' in exactly the same place :rolleyes:

Isabelle
07-01-2004, 11:40 AM
You have realy chosen a popular charchter, judging by all interesting replies you have here on your thread. Especially cool is the ref. pictures of the helmet you got.

With such good references im sure you will finish of with something truly nice.

random.hero
07-01-2004, 12:58 PM
thanks for the encouragement isabelle, but im finiding it hard to get the right shape for the arms and torso. i dont have any experience in that kind of area.

random.hero
07-01-2004, 09:33 PM
hello again :)

i managed to do some more on boba today. i finished off the gauntlet and attached it to the arm i made. anyways, theres some pics attached so take a look and tell me what you think.

PS. i know he has no hand, so it looks a bit funny :rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.