PDA

View Full Version : problems with mouth area...

Wahookah
07-24-2002, 08:27 PM
hi there first post... :)

hehe as you can see the mouth is not my only problem area, but i keep on trying to improve ...
http://www.aconclave.com/dump/bilder/mouth.jpg

could you tell me how you build up the mouth area and how you model the lips, mount teeth and details around/inside the mouth etc., what setup do you use in order to animate, morph targets, or bones,...??

im interested in both cartoon like caracters and realistic models

i already checked http://www.3dluvr.com/setherial/tutor/mouth/tutor01.htm , but i would prefer a box modeling method for a start...

thnx for every hint you could give me :)

JuRrAsStOiL
07-24-2002, 09:20 PM
I always model the mouth with an edge loop. Then
I move the verts between the edge loop inside and
make another edge loop. Scale the edges along
the Z-Axis (3ds max) and move them a bit out to
get a round look. The last steps are beveling the
outer egde loop a litte to get the sharp lip outline
and I bevel the inside of the mouth to make it look
closed. For stills I don't model the inside of the mouth,
but for animation you should although bevel it and
then extrude it inside and scale it bigger.

Sorry for my bad englisch :(

PS: Perhaps I captue a timelapse vid for you
showing how I model lips :)

ambient-whisper
07-24-2002, 10:04 PM
you can still use that tutorial that they gave on that page. and then attach that geometry and weld it to your head later.

skunk184
07-24-2002, 10:09 PM
i do the same as jurasstoil..edge loops all the way...as for animaton.....well id say that bones are definately better than the morpher if you ve got the time and know how to set up a facial rig...

ambient-whisper
07-24-2002, 11:08 PM
not really. because its harder to to subtle stuff with bones.
it also depends on which app you use. some apps have better morphing tech than others ;)

JuRrAsStOiL
07-24-2002, 11:43 PM
he uses 3ds max -> take a look at the screenshot :)

skunk184
07-25-2002, 12:11 AM
i saw he was using max ,ambient ,which doesnt let you prgressive morph until the next release..so it s a right pain going from 0 to 100 on a shape because it s linear ,so you have to create loads of extra targets to compensate...but like i said you have to have the knowhow to do it effectivly with bones(im not doubting your know how by the way ambient ,ive seen your work :thumbsup:).....just my opion anyway...

cheers
craig:beer:

ambient-whisper
07-25-2002, 03:36 AM
ya but bone setups for lips in max arent as nice to setup as in messiah either.

another thing for him to try is something that antics makes. uses boxes as influences. and each box has secondary motion boxes parented. its a neat approach.

skunk184
07-25-2002, 04:32 PM
cheers ambient ...i just checked out anticz website and saw his box facial setup thing...looks like a good idea....i m going to have a go at it myself!!!!
as for messiah..i ve only had a chance to have a little play with it and it certainly looks impressive......especially the viewport speeds with fully skinned meshes..i must say when i pressed play and saw it moving in my viewports i was amazed

but....i found the interface a bit messy and found it quite hard to work out what expression was attatched to what item/object.......all the expressions seem to be in the command tab all the time....i only saw the advance r1 messiah:studio though....perhaps filtering the viewports are alot more active now or perhaps its me.....im not the sharpest tool in he box:surprised

cheers

craig

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.