PDA

View Full Version : Gemix

grafik
06-26-2004, 02:33 PM
this is a character concept i've done for a comic book!
what you think?

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/tmds77/ilustracao/gemix2.jpg

Flatuloso
06-26-2004, 08:07 PM
I find it moderately hard to believe that no one has commented on this yet!

Well, I think it's great! Your skin tones are excellent, as well as your light source casting highlights on the face itself. There are a few small problems I have with it, however. You've essentially NO black in the picture (except in the mouth), and in a scene where there's such a central light source like yours, it usually casts at least some shadow that can be shown as black in the picture. There are also some depth problems with the hand (like with the thumb and some of the fingernails). My last issue was with the hair, it goes from skin directly to very thick hair, it seems like there should be a bit more of gradual shift.

For a concept sketch, it's excellent, however. You've really captured a 'sagely' essence for this character.

VectronicWX3
06-27-2004, 01:30 AM
other than the depth issue (mostly with the hand) I'd say its about perfect, especially as just concept creation, im not sure if it was your intention or not, but I like the hair and the earrings the way they are, they look real, almost like you took some wool and glued it to the picture as hair...almost like Craft meets CG...
great work :D

grafik
06-28-2004, 10:19 AM
thanks for the comments, this was all made from scatch, hair and the earrings as the rest were all painted, i agree about the lack of black, but in my cpu this picture looked so dark that i had to reduce the black in it. the thumb gave me a real problem i decided to leave this way, i know its not perfect but... hard perspective!

Cadron
07-08-2004, 02:01 PM
I quite like this one - especially the 'radiating' light.

You say that you had troubles with drawing the hand, so I thought i would give you a way of dealing with this in the future. Why not look at your own hand - in a mirror if necessary. It may even help to look at your hand in front of your face in the same way to the guy in your image to see how the hand would actually be orientated - what is natural.

I personally find that such problems are (most of the time) best worked out in a sketch before doing the actual image. The advantage with working on a sketch first is that you can experiment a little and deside which hand position works best for what you are trying to convey without having to change things after you ahve gone to all the trouble with the final image.

As I mentioned earlier I really like the light source. Another thing with modeling in front of a mirror is that you get an idea of how far away the hand would be from the face itself. Depending on how close it is would change the shadows that the light casts. For example if the hand is closethe shadow of the nose would be more stark (not too dissimilar to what you have), whereas if the hand was furture away more of the face would be covered with light.

You should give this a go and see if it works for you!

Regards - Cade

grafik
07-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Hey, thanks Cade for the extensive review! I appreciate a lot for the things you pointed!

ChristopherRabenhorst
07-14-2004, 12:11 PM
very nice lighting

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.