PDA

View Full Version : MAYA: parenting 2 hands on 1 object .. ?

Pascaru
06-26-2004, 12:47 AM
hey there, i've used MAX and Character Studio recently, there's a tool i like that i don't think we have in MAYA .

let's say my character's right hand is holding a tennis raquet (parented to the right hand) he's doing a back hand (holding with both hands).. I would use that tool in CS to parent the left hand to the raquet for a certain number of frames.
SO animating the RIGHT arm would animate the left arm as well, since the left hand is connected to the raquet for that time..

so for the whole movement:
1- animate LEFT hand to come hold the raquet
2- animate RIGHT hand to go hit a backhand, not animating the left at all .
3- after the hit, unparent the left hand from the raquet so it becomes independant again

how would i do such things with MAYA ?

i hope i'm clear in my words
thank you
Pascal

davijin
06-26-2004, 06:21 AM
hey there, i've used MAX and Character Studio recently, there's a tool i like that i don't think we have in MAYA .

let's say my character's right hand is holding a tennis raquet (parented to the right hand) he's doing a back hand (holding with both hands).. I would use that tool in CS to parent the left hand to the raquet for a certain number of frames.
SO animating the RIGHT arm would animate the left arm as well, since the left hand is connected to the raquet for that time..

so for the whole movement:
1- animate LEFT hand to come hold the raquet
2- animate RIGHT hand to go hit a backhand, not animating the left at all .
3- after the hit, unparent the left hand from the raquet so it becomes independant again

how would i do such things with MAYA ?

i hope i'm clear in my words
thank you
Pascal
Yeah I think I know what you wanna do and how you can do it in maya. You use animation constraints (either point or geometry I forget which one exactly cuz I dont have maya open right now) to connect the hand to the racket. then when you want to make one hand or the other detach from the racket you turn the weight of the constraint down to 0. then when you need to have the hands follow the racket turn the weight attribute of the contraint back up to 1 to make the hand follow the racket

Falling Man
06-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Either a Parent constraint, or a point and orient constraint combined should do the trick. I'm not a big fan of the parent constraint though, so I'd go with the two constraints.

The big trick to doing this kind of animation in Maya is that once you constrain an object, the only good way to turn that constraint on and off is to constrain it to something else (I haven't found a way to "free" it again without deleting the whole constraint). Once you've got more than one constraint, you can adjust the relative weight of each constraint object. In this case you would constrain the hand to the basic hand control and to the racket. Then just keyframe the weights so that it moves smoothly between the two points.

Pascaru
06-28-2004, 01:00 PM
thanks both of you for your help .. falling man, i'll try your solution tonight when i get more time..

thanks again
P.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.