PDA

View Full Version : Faking Global ilumination with a good light setup

Adam
07-24-2002, 06:32 PM
hello i'm working on a school project animation and even though brazil or other Gi renders would be great to use, I can not allow that much time to be dedicated to rendering. What is an alternative to this while using max scanline? I ve heard of people getting similar results with 100 light sphere setup. All i need is good global. I don't need causics or multiply reflections. Will a light sphere do this and if so how do you set one up to acheive global daylight efffect? Will it render pretty fast?

cgSquad
07-24-2002, 09:54 PM
there is a dome sky script. Which is more faster than manual light meshs. And If its an out door Dome Sky will may work. For indoor, Its a lot labor. Use Serpate lights for seperate things. This is what Pixar does. Or if you have photoshop,combustion or GIMP etc. Create your own lightmaps for static things.

Very Good Luck

Chris
07-24-2002, 09:55 PM
faster than gi ;)

check out the scripts at www.scriptspot.com, HDRDomelight is one, theres another which the name of escapes me, but if you do a search for 'dome' your sure to find it :)

Adam
07-24-2002, 11:37 PM
does this dome light sytem work very well? is it almost as good as true GI (as long as used on a pretty static char)?

Chris
07-24-2002, 11:56 PM
it works alright, it basically gives a soft shadow look to stuff, you dont get any diffuse bounces or colour bleeding without adding extra coloured fill lights though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.